WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Top of climbl out of Palmerton

Looking to see if there are any tent sites once you reach the top of the climb northward out of Palmerton, PA, possibly a half mile or so from the top of the climb. Don't see any mentioned in Guthook or AWOL so wondering if there are any. Thanks for any help you can give me.

There was at least one rocky site I recall shortly after the climb and another almost on trail with small trees for hanging. It's been awhile since there but the area smelled of the past 80 yr history of the Zinc smelting activities. It was a Superfund site because of the heavy metal contamination. It was a metallic smell. Signs of slag, altered rock, and pH stressed foliage were evident.

I was there last spring to do a little piece I skipped about 10 years ago, when I opted for the bypass trail (heading southbound) instead of the steep descent to the river. I'm happy to report that the reforestation effort has turned what used to look like a rocky moonscape into a much greener area, with trees and grasses taking hold and flourishing. I don't recall any tent sites, but throughout PA there are fire circles and small clear areas, probably hunter campsites, about a mile or two apart.

Journal Entries

We went through there in early April. There was snow on the ground, so couldn't really see tentsite possibilities. I can tell you that after finishing the climb, the trail leveled out and followed an old road for a couple miles - pretty flat, wide, easy. Not sure about water availability, not sure about rules saying where you can or can't camp, but the terrain should accommodate tenting pretty easy. Not a lot of trees in that area, so if you're looking for shade, maybe keep walking north.

You are wanting to camp on top of a EPA superfund cleanup site. For several decades huge trucks drove up to the top of this ridge daily and dumped fly-ash from the zinc smelter at the edge of Palmerton. They added a hundred feet to the elevation of the ridge. That is why stuff has trouble growing up there. The ph of the soil is bad. The state of PA and the EPA claim that the dangerous levels of bad **** are all OK now so it's safe to have a hiking trail. Avoid any water that you might find puddled up in this area. This spot is the exact opposite of what the Appalachian Trail is all about.

The top of the ridge really isn't a suitable place to camp for a lot of reasons. And there is no need to. Once the climb is done, there is a tent site a couple of easy miles north at Metallica spring. So named for the heavy metals found in the spring water. Drinking a gallon of it probably isn't going to do you any harm.

BTW, when I first hiked thru there in 1989, the whole area looked like the surface of the moon. The trail literally climbed up a slag heap. Everything was dead and the ground gray. It was eerie and very surreal.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Was there three weeks ago. There is no water for twelve miles out of Palmerton,although at that time Trail Angels were generous with a few gallon jugs. It was 99 degrees at the time,and much of the trail has no shade,since most of the trees are shoulder high. I do not recall anything that looked like a campsite,and AWOL says the only spring tests bad for heavy metal. Hope that helps.

Images

Yes, there are tent sites as with anywhere flat. Agree on water, carry plenty.

Thanks for the help. Not worried about the water, should be able to carry in what we need. Been section hiking with daughter and this is area of PA we are now in. But also coming off a knee replacement so mileage is very limited at this point. And not ready to try Knife Edge or other really rocky spots just yet. Figured good test would be coming in from Little Gap Rd for 3.5 miles or so, camp, and then in morning go down winter trail.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnThe Snail View Post
    Thanks for the help. Not worried about the water, should be able to carry in what we need. Been section hiking with daughter and this is area of PA we are now in. But also coming off a knee replacement so mileage is very limited at this point. And not ready to try Knife Edge or other really rocky spots just yet. Figured good test would be coming in from Little Gap Rd for 3.5 miles or so, camp, and then in morning go down winter trail.
    You can find flat places to camp on top, but no water. Glad you are taking the winter trail. I did this hike a couple of years ago and thought it would be crazy to take the AT southbound into the gap. The winter trail is wonderful. I don't know why the winter trail is not the official AT. Just waiting for someone to get killed before they change it.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    You can find flat places to camp on top, but no water.
    But finding a flat spot without rocks and dense scrub growth over it might be a bit more trouble to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    But finding a flat spot without rocks and dense scrub growth over it might be a bit more trouble to find.
    That's how i recall it too. My best guess is most still don't linger atop a Superfund site even if it was remediated so probably still mostly rough ground and scrubby to find a tent site. I tried to scrape the rocks away but they kept going deeper and deeper. As Moldy said they dumped 100ft of slag atop the Blue Ridge MT. Best bet would be to hang and carry in own water. It was one of the worst sleeping nights on one AT NOBO I had it was so rocky. Wound up staying there because I night hiked until 11 pm until its started to downpour. The water I gathered from a puddle was some of the worst I ever tasted on any AT hike. Quite metallic . not healthy or satisfying. Dumped what I had left the next morn. Licked some left over wet leaves from night rain instead. they tasted metallic but less so too. Now, people tell me my farts smell metallic.

I thought the water up ‘ere was fine

After I got up there and walked a mile so back in 2015 there people with tents set up.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    After I got up there and walked a mile so back in 2015 there people with tents set up.
    Some people are idiots.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I thought the water up ‘ere was fine
    So that explains it.

I want to thank everyone for their help. Made the trip last weekend and found a usable tent site right across from where the Winter Trail met the AT. Worked out fine. And the knee held up pretty well, though took me 6 hours to do 4 miles the first day. But it still felt good the next day and made it down the winter trail and across the bridge to get the car. If weather looks clear will possibly try another section this weekend.

Journal Entries

And John you've proved that even snails can hike. Good for you!

++ New Posts ++