WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I apologize in advance....

Saw this and thought at only a pound.......mmm. Is it sacrilegious, crossing the line, natural evolution, or a blessing?

https://www.bigagnes.com/CHAIR-ZERO

CHAIRZERO_Gray-013.JPG

I have one..I really like it but I only use it on trips I am running heavy and not trying to push miles...

Quote Originally Posted by motocross269 View Post
    I have one..I really like it but I only use it on trips I am running heavy and not trying to push miles...
    +1. Usually when I get to camp after a long day hiking, I don’t feel like setting it up.

I know for me a proper place to sit is as big a part of my recovery as is a good nights sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    +1. Usually when I get to camp after a long day hiking, I don’t feel like setting it up.
    Really? Wow! Don't get me wrong, I have one of these plus an REI chair that is similar and I have never taken either on a backpacking trip. But, I don't think the 20 or 30 seconds it takes to set one up has ever stopped me. I'm just to much of a weight weeny and find other ways to sit comfortably when backpacking. What I love mine for is festivals I walk or take public transportation to or traveling, especially car trips, where space is at a premium.

What I don't like about these chairs is how the feet sink into soft ground. I keep planning on making a cloth or webbing base to work as an ultralight platform to keep the feet from sinking into the ground, but I haven't pulled out the sewing machine to do so yet.

Something kinda like this, but lighter and simpler if custom made to fit without all the extra strapping.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by motocross269 View Post
    I'm the same. I use a Thermarest Z Seat for most trips, but when I am out on a short trip where I expect a lot of camp time, I bring my chair. I have the REI version which weighs a little more, but still worth it.

Funny side story: A few years ago, I was out on a section hike during thru hiker season, when I stopped with a handful of thrus for a break. One of them saw my chair and shouted out to the group "This guy's got a chair!!!". They acted like they couldn't believe that I had my own chair with me. One asked about weight, and they were pretty much dumbfounded that my pack weighed less than theirs even with the chair. I just laughed and hiked on.

I take the Helinox chair and table on every single hike regardless of distance. They are two of my must have items. Total weight just under 3.5 pounds but worth every ounce to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I take the Helinox chair and table on every single hike regardless of distance. They are two of my must have items. Total weight just under 3.5 pounds but worth every ounce to me.
    I love seeing how many different ways there are for each of us to enjoy our time outdoors. Our diversity of pleasures and solutions it awesome.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I love seeing how many different ways there are for each of us to enjoy our time outdoors. Our diversity of pleasures and solutions it awesome.
    Amen Brother!!! A big +1

https://www.bigagnes.com/product/13009
    Check this out....What I don't like about these chairs is how the feet sink into soft ground. I keep planning on making a cloth or webbing base to work as an ultralight platform to keep the feet from sinking into the ground, but I haven't pulled out the sewing machine to do so yet.

Something kinda like this, but lighter and simpler if custom made to fit without all the extra strapping.[/QUOTE]

The Alite May fly model has bars across the bottom not feet. There might be others made that way too. Not a single bar like one the one model that you balance in but two, a front and back bar. I'm not sure of weight comparison compared to a four footed style chair.

I saw an idea on YouTube where a gal made a three legged stool in camp with three short branches bound together in the middle; she also made the triangular sheet with pockets to accept the branches. I have such a seat with metal legs and I thought I could just take the cloth and as long as there is wood about make up the legs. There is usually somewhere to sit at a shelter but elsewhere sitting on the ground to cook is not the best.

I thought that was what bear cans are for!

At 71 YO that extra lb may be the difference I need to make a summit. I'll just continue to use a ground cloth to keep my backside dry.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I freakin love that chair!! I agree with Two Tents, comfy sitting is part of recovery for me.

For that weight I'd rather carry one of these and sleep off the ground:
    https://www.rei.com/product/889599/helinox-cot-lite

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    For reference, what is your height/weight?

Worth the weight. I got one for overnighters where there aren't a lot of seat options. It spoiled me and now I take it every time I go out.

++ New Posts ++