WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Going NOBO, it would be going up Clements Mountain. And no berries.
    Not just Clements!

I have returned, got in last night (8-1) at about 9 pm.

Finished the loop in about 59 hrs, 3 days two nights, averaged 20+ miles a day. It was exhausting, brutal and beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Not just Clements!

I have returned, got in last night (8-1) at about 9 pm.

Finished the loop in about 59 hrs, 3 days two nights, averaged 20+ miles a day. It was exhausting, brutal and beautiful!
    Shazam!That's impressive!How many hours per day did you hike to knock that out?What were the dry parts like?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Shazam!That's impressive!How many hours per day did you hike to knock that out?What were the dry parts like?
    Rough guesstimates:

day 1 830a to 730p with an hourish lunch, camped at Sarvis Gap on the DRT

day 2 7a to 530p with an hourish lunch, camped at Woods Hole Shelter on the AT

day 3 6a to 7p with an hourish lunch, back to the car at Three Forks

day 4 8a to 10p, 0 miles =)

Water wasn't a challenge at all. I carried 5 liters from lunch (had a late lunch) the first day up Wallalah and over to Sarvis, but other than that I carried one 23.7 Smartwater and a 1L BeFree soft flask full between water stops and that was plenty (although I did get thirsty between Mulky Gap and Whiteoak stomp, but it wasn't overly hot that day).

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Rough guesstimates:

day 1 830a to 730p with an hourish lunch, camped at Sarvis Gap on the DRT

day 2 7a to 530p with an hourish lunch, camped at Woods Hole Shelter on the AT

day 3 6a to 7p with an hourish lunch, back to the car at Three Forks

day 4 8a to 10p, 0 miles =)

Water wasn't a challenge at all. I carried 5 liters from lunch (had a late lunch) the first day up Wallalah and over to Sarvis, but other than that I carried one 23.7 Smartwater and a 1L BeFree soft flask full between water stops and that was plenty (although I did get thirsty between Mulky Gap and Whiteoak stomp, but it wasn't overly hot that day).
    Where did you eat lunch and grab your 5 liters on day one? I saw Evan's you tube where there are two signs somewhere on that route.One was at Sarvis I think.Were they reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Where did you eat lunch and grab your 5 liters on day one? I saw Evan's you tube where there are two signs somewhere on that route.One was at Sarvis I think.Were they reliable?
    On day 1 I stopped at the spring box on the BMT NOBO just before you reach HWY 60.

There are three signs for water on the DRT between the BMT and the top of Coosa Bald (where the DRT meets the Coosa Back Country Trail).

From W-E, Sarvis Gap, Mulkey Gap, and Whiteoak Stomp. The water is all downhill to the right going in that direction, AKA to the south. There was water at all three locations but you have to walk down to it. The paths down to the water were easy to follow.

It has been a wet summer so I wasn't worried about finding water. My understanding is that in drier conditions you may have to walk a little further, but you can still find it.

Congratulations johnspenn! The DRT is on my list. Have you hiked the BMT? Can you compare the level of difficulty of the DRT to the BMT? Your description of “exhausting and brutal” is a little scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Congratulations johnspenn! The DRT is on my list. Have you hiked the BMT? Can you compare the level of difficulty of the DRT to the BMT? Your description of “exhausting and brutal” is a little scary.
    I have hiked a few parts of the BMT. IMO the DRT is tougher than the sections of the BMT I have seen, but I haven't hiked a lot of the BMT.

Keep a few things in mind.
    1. I'm no pro, thru or LD hiker, just an old guy (51) who loves to hike and is trying to learn to be a better hiker. This was the longest hike I've done so far.
    2. This hike was about me pushing myself and finding my limits. I hiked all day for the three days I was out there. I was exhausted when I finished and am still recuperating =)
    3. The DRT is tough, but the toughest stretch from the junction with the BMT to the junction with the Coosa Backcountry is only about 17 miles (guessing).

It's tough but do-able. The water sources weren't hard to find and the trail is well blazed. Wear long pants on the DRT part!

I highly recommend it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++