WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tent durability

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

No, 4 yrs is too soon to delaminate. Ask for replacement, all they can say is no. Else throw it away.
    Yes, agree. 4 years is way too early for delamination, even WITH 150+ nights out a year. My tents get such mileage and go strong for at least 10 years. But upgrading never hurts with an old tent---new is always better.

There's a tiny handful of people who want old vintage tents, the North Face Morning Glory comes to mind. They'll pay almost anything to get such a tent. Collector's items. Actual field use? I'd be reluctant to take such a museum piece out for long.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Some lasts longer than others.
    But gear, all if it, is a consumeable item
    It doesnt last forever, even without use.
    It degrades. Its superceded by new designs and materials, etc. By the time its 10-15 yrs old, its not worth much.

No, 4 yrs is too soon to delaminate. Ask for replacement, all they can say is no. Else throw it away.

But my point is, gear is made to be used. Eventually it becomes worth pennies on dollar if you don't anyway. How many hike with used 90s era gear they could buy cheap on fleabay? No one, theres no market for it, even though lots for sale usually. Ive got a couple 10year old tents in great condition. Ill prob give to scouts. Not worth anything to sell
    Part of the issue here is de-lamination may be caused by sun damage. I too have tents that are 20 years old that are still usable and a few from 8 years ago I am going to toss out. I think we are on the same idea. If you don't understand this post grab a child or tent structure from a over the counter source and pitch it in the back yard in direct sun. By Oct it will be worthless form all the solar pinholes in the fabric.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Correct. 90 continuous days out of shade, outside in the sun and you can throw that new Fly Creek out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

I'm familiar with UV tent death---you know things are bad when you zip up the tent fly vestibule and the fabric separates along a line parallel to the zipper. Or your dog panics and bursts thru the sun-rotted fabric. Or you're using yards of duct tape to keep the tent together and in one piece. The first happened on a North Face Westwind tent and the other happened on a Cabelas Xtreme weather tent. I always dig my thumb into a tent fly before a trip just to see . . . the condition of my condition. It's a nasty test as failure involves a complete rethink and gear-up.

Then again, there are tents out there which are more robust in continuous or oft-repeated exposure to direct sunlight. Some brands are much better than others. You just have to find them.

I'm always wondering why most tent flys nowadays are made from Nylon? Polyamide has a hard time to stand UV and needs special treatment for this (and still will not last long, exposed to the sun), while Polyester would be pretty much UV resistant by itself. Plus, a Polyester fly would not sag in the rain.

The MSR I had did this too. It certainly did not have the use to justify peeling at 3 years of age. MSR sent me another fly and it did not have side vents as part of the redesign, leadin to more condensation. I gave up on it. FWIW, I've had a Hilleberg Allak for 10 years, used it 80+ nights a year and it is still as waterproof as the day I got it. It's my go-to when bad weather is expected.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    The MSR I had did this too. It certainly did not have the use to justify peeling at 3 years of age. MSR sent me another fly and it did not have side vents as part of the redesign, leadin to more condensation. I gave up on it. FWIW, I've had a Hilleberg Allak for 10 years, used it 80+ nights a year and it is still as waterproof as the day I got it. It's my go-to when bad weather is expected.
    You said it and not me. I didn't want to mention Hilleberg in my post of "some brands are better than others"---continually beating a dead horse---but you're right---Hillie's Kerlon stuff is great and like you said it's still waterproof---and while I've seen it fade it never gets the UV pinholes mentioned in other posts.

To OP: The waterproofing is almost certainly not as good as it used to be wherever the flaking is going on. You did not mention if you fold and roll vs stuffing the tent. I favor stuffing as the creases are not made repetitively in the same locations as they are with fold and roll.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I got a Hillsboro Keron and also one Fjallraven Abisko Viewvamong others but nomatter what tent I choose for the trip I still try not to pitch it totally exposed and I always try to pitch it late in a day when the sun is low and pack it as early in the morning as possible. It all depends on the location or nature of the trip...

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I got a Hillsboro Keron and also one Fjallraven Abisko Viewvamong others but nomatter what tent I choose for the trip I still try not to pitch it totally exposed and I always try to pitch it late in a day when the sun is low and pack it as early in the morning as possible. It all depends on the location or nature of the trip...

I generally follow this practice too---if I get to an exposed camp early I wait for the sun to set before putting up the tent. But I also don't fret over it as much as I used to---just leave the beast up and forget about it. The only problem with this is that direct sunlight usually makes the tent an oven.

TRIP 104 007-L.jpg
    Here's the new Keron tent from 10 years ago---notice the nice green color.

Trip 191 (289)-L.jpg
    Here's the same tent today---a little more faded but still going strong.

Here is mine

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Here is mine
    Nifty! Looks like we belong to the exclusive Keron member's only club.

Btw, is that a mandolin case on the rock??

That is my ukulele.

Let me go

You know, I hadn't every really considered tents having a "shelf life" before... I bought mine 5 years ago and she's still going strong. It's a cheap-ish and heavy tent by AT standards (Alps Mountaineering Chaos 2, 5+ pounds!) but man, have I been surprised by this tent. I'll be sad when it starts to crumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    You know, I hadn't every really considered tents having a "shelf life" before... I'll be sad when it starts to crumble.
    Yes, but getting rid of the funky smell that may accompany delamination of the PU coating, that may soften the blow. Plus, it gives you an excuse to get a new and cool replacement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++