WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tent durability

Default Tent durability

I've owned a MSR Hubba Hubba NX for 4 years and use it no more than 5 days each year. When not in use, I keep the tent in a conditioned environment (my house) and have been careful to be sure it's dry before storing it. This year I noticed a thin layer of waterproofing (I guess) is flaking and delaminating from the inside of the tent. leaving a sticky surface. It doesn't appear to affect the waterproffing qualities of the tent but it's odd to me that the tent appears to be disintegrating after so little use. Anyone else have this experience with MSR or other manufacturers?

Delamination is common after 4+ years. If it is not effecting the waterproofness I would just setup and vacuum out the tent before use, problem with delamination is that it doesn't stop flaking once it starts. And My gut assumption would be that it IS INDEED going to effect the waterproofness of the tent.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would agree that 4 years sounds pretty soon to start seeing delamination.
    My 1st tent, a Kelty Vortex took 10 to 15 years before I started seeing issues... starting with the tent floor seam.
    My Big Agnes Lynx Pass and Kelty Gunnisson 3.2 are currently 7 years old (or more) and I haven't noticed any issues.

Unfortunately, from what I can see from MSR's website, their warranty is for 3 years.

Journal Entries

I do feel it will effect water infiltration. You might consider contacting MSR, they are very into customer service especially when there is a defect. Also if you bought it from REI, though their satisfaction guarantee is 1 year, their policy for defects is at their discretion.

If you do plan to keep it I'd consider additional waterproofing sprays.

Images

this was also a problem with the "regular" hubba hubbas....

i bought mine in 2009 and it started to peel...

MSR had already known this was happening through other customers having same problem..

i contacted them and then sent me a new fly......

I should have added'

If you mail them the tent they will more then likely replace it and send you a new one. Write a nice polite letter and say "thanks in advance"

Works for me pretty much every time. Now if I feel that I have USED the product to the end of its life like my Henry Shires TT then I would not do this, but if I got 20 nights use in 4 years out of it? It would be going back for sure.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I consider tents to be disposable items like boots or socks---Upgrade when needed because tents never improve with age.

You won't see any delamination with cuben fiber although something else will probably fail instead :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I consider tents to be disposable items like boots or socks---Upgrade when needed because tents never improve with age.
    Let me go

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    You won't see any delamination with cuben fiber although something else will probably fail instead :-)
    You won't? I have seen some, though minor and repaired stress delamination issues with CF, and expect that not to get better with time.

"stress delamination" ? - You mean cuben's propensity to wear out in folds ? I wouldn't call it delamination although I'm no expert on the jargon
    Let me go

Agreed. That's a different issue entirely. As far as I know, cuben doesn't have (or need) any separate coating because the fabric is waterproof by nature.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    "stress delamination" ? - You mean cuben's propensity to wear out in folds ? I wouldn't call it delamination although I'm no expert on the jargon
    I'd call it abrasion.

Even then, I'd have to question how it occurs. Abrasion is caused by repeated rubbing in the same area, which suggests to me that an item is not being stowed properly. Perhaps forcing it into and out of a stuff sack that is too small? IMO a generously-sized silnylon stuff sack is, ironically, ideal for DCF.

Us tent buyers, we drive this industry. They noticed that we will pay much more and buy more for certain qualities like "light weight". Durability was sacrificed to the ultralight gods long ago. If they design for durability, it will weigh more and we won't buy it. The first question we always ask is, what is the weight? Cost, performance, care requirements, durability all come later.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Us tent buyers, we drive this industry. They noticed that we will pay much more and buy more for certain qualities like "light weight". Durability was sacrificed to the ultralight gods long ago. If they design for durability, it will weigh more and we won't buy it. The first question we always ask is, what is the weight? Cost, performance, care requirements, durability all come later.
    Durability is also highly subjective and user-dependent. There are people who can destroy the sturdiest item in 5 minutes flat and those who manage to get excellent performance from the most delicate stuff for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Good post. In my opinion, weight is the last consideration when it comes to a tent. At the top of the list is robust toughness, waterproofness from the top down and the bottom up, perfect in the fourth season but also able to handle summer thunderstorms with high winds, and finally longevity---oh and ample interior square footage. But I'm weird this way---when it comes to my backpacking shelter.

Light, durable, inexpensive

Pick two...Backpacking items that fit all three are exceedingly rare

-

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Heavy, durable, expensive, big. Pick four.
    can't do it - your forum name is already taken

-

tent makers do not make there own fabric, and different batches of fabric will delaminate faster / slower

in the end, like others have said, this is a warranty / customer service issue - I sent back an outdoor research bivy for delimitation, that they replaced - long lead time so I bought another OR model, probably a win win

Journal Entries

Some lasts longer than others.
    But gear, all if it, is a consumeable item
    It doesnt last forever, even without use.
    It degrades. Its superceded by new designs and materials, etc. By the time its 10-15 yrs old, its not worth much.

No, 4 yrs is too soon to delaminate. Ask for replacement, all they can say is no. Else throw it away.

But my point is, gear is made to be used. Eventually it becomes worth pennies on dollar if you dont anyway. How many hike with used 90s era gear they could buy cheap on fleabay? No one, theres no market for it, even though lots for sale usually. Ive got a coiple 10year old tents in great condition. Ill prob give to scouts. Not worth anything to sell
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-25-2018 at 12:52.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++