WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default anyone ever use "Guide Gear" brand pants?

The Sportsman's Guide has some zip off nylon pants for about $18.

I was wondering if anyone had used this brand before (Guide Gear brand).

Or should I spend $13 more and get some REI (or other name brand) zip off pants?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by timhines

Or should I spend $13 more and get some REI (or other name brand) zip off pants?
    Never tried the Guide Gear brand, but Bass Pro has some $18 zip-offs made by World Wide Sportsman that look decent. They also carry a more expensive model by the same company for $39 that I wear. They are excellent. I got mine on sale for $34.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

those look pretty good (the cheapos and the higher end)

I am currently using a Guide Gear MESA 25 mummy bag and a fleece jacket for my 06' thru-hike. I've tested this gear in January at Devils Lake, WI, camping and hiking and it works well for me. My feet did get a bit cold as it got down to about 17 degrees the night I was out; I'm using a liner for the A.T. I purchased this stuff at Gander Mtn. and the real nice thing is Guide Gear comes in Tall Sizes and the $ is right.

how tall are you homebrew? I was thinking of trying some of the pants with a 34 inche inseam. i'm about 6' 4

Default Guide Gear

I have a guide gear sleeping bag that sits in the closet due to the poor construction. Probably the worst sleeping bag I have ever owned. That is to be expected for the price I suppose. I also would recommend that you look into reviews of Sportsmans Guide. I did not have a pleasent experience with them, extremely slow shipping coupled with rude customer service reps is no fun.

Ht. 6' 5". The bags size: 34"x90"x22", fill is Dura Fiber H1.
    Its not the lightest bag around at 3.8 lbs. w/its heavy duty compression sack-wt. 4.8 oz. you could swap it out for something lighter and shave some oz.
    I never buy a bag without getting in it and trying out all draft tube cords, zipper, and girth test-see if you have some room to move-I tend to roll over in my sleep.
    Just to make sure were talking about the same stuff- this is Guide Series purchsed at Gander Mtn. Bag cost $40. It works for me.

i use a kelty 20 degree bag, long size. I think that SOB weighs in around 5lbs. Oh well, i don't mind hauling it

Default GG adventure nylon zip off

Quote Originally Posted by timhines

I bought two pair of these pants a few years ago. I think they are worth the money and I would buy another pair.

The nylon has a very tight weave, thin and light, and repels water. The nylon is also kind of shiny and not very “soft” to touch. I have a pair of nylon North Face paramount pants and as would be expected the gear guide material in nowhere as nice, but they are not 65 bucks either. The weight difference is a lot too with the GG much lighter. The shorts make nice swim suit with mesh lining.

These are the ones I got.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=151500

i'm sold on them. I plan on ordering 2 pair next pay check.

Here is a link at Bakcpackgeartest.org where someone reviewed those pants.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...rc%20Pfenning/

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Never tried the Guide Gear brand, but Bass Pro has some $18 zip-offs made by World Wide Sportsman that look decent. They also carry a more expensive model by the same company for $39 that I wear. They are excellent. I got mine on sale for $34.
    The $18 zip-off pants are nylon with a bathing-suit style lining. I found them a bit tight for backpacking.

Let me put in a solid recommendation for the more expensive $35 pair, the World Wide Sportsman PRO IV series. I got a pair at the hugelarge Bass Pro place on I40 near Sevierville for $30 and really like them.

Feature list: supplex nylon construction, loose-cut for active wear, Teflon DWF/stain guard and a UV blocker, extra pockets (lined with tight weave mesh & velcro closures excepting rear pockets which are zippered), elasticized waistband with built-in webbing belt, zipper fly with button top, zip-off legs (all zippers are YKK self-healing coil), split-bottom zippered leggings with velcro cuff closures (for on/off over boots), available in inseam sizing from 30", and available in decent outdoor colors. Sizing (for those buying online) is normal, with a Large fitting my 37 in. waist comfortably.

These are quality pants with good detailing and are a good buy for the price. North Face and the others cost twice as much and only come in one-length-fits-all sizing. (Bah.)

They have a shirt in the same PRO IV line that is also well made. (They had 'em marked down to $25 and I couldn't resist. )

Doug Frost

++ New Posts ++