WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best GSMNP Backcountry Campsites!

Hey All,
    About to hit the smokies for the first time in a long time. I usually tend to avoid the area because I like to hike with my dog, however I have been given the opportunity to make it happen for a few nights. I'm reaching out trying to find the coolest (your favorite) sites across the park. I love high altitude sights with a view so bonus points for that! hoping to make a 3 night loop trip!
    Thanks y'all

-Redlocks
    "Its a long hard walk, but I will walk hard"
    -Dewey Cox

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Gregory Bald (CS13) and Mt Sterling (CS38)
    Both are high elevation campsites with a nearby view.
    But they are on opposite sides of the park, so you won't be seeing both of them on a 3 night loop.

What kind of daily mileage you looking to do in those hills?

Journal Entries

If you don't mind using shelters, there's LeConte and Icewater Springs to consider. To make it a 3-night, you could add Kephart. Not a loop, but if you can hitch back to your car, it could work. Agree that Mt Sterling is a good option also.

Images

could do site 113 and then 13............both are up high and can be made into a loop.............and catch 95 on the way down or something like that...

looking to do around 45-50 mi. i have yet to do gregory bald, or much up in the area. sterling is one of my favorites. havent been in a while, but could see doing a loop around there

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    -Dewey Cox

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ctebeau View Post
    looking to do around 45-50 mi. i have yet to do gregory bald, or much up in the area. sterling is one of my favorites. havent been in a while, but could see doing a loop around there

park at twenty mile...........head up to AT..........stay at 113............head over to gregory and spend the night............you'd have to add some other trails to hit 45-50 miles though.....

There are great views, great CS's, and then there're both, of which there're few commonly known legal ones or off trail LNT ones where the NPS isn't likely to speak about or readily ofer up a permit for and I will not either in a public forum. I wouldn't pick a route with needing to have established GSMNP CS's based on just a view that could be strung along over 3 nights. It could be hard getting a permit. You could base the 3 day hike on having views along the way with a CS or maybe two having a nearby nice view. If you can do the MPD I'd get dropped off at Clingman's Dome. Great view. Hike the AT to something like Icewater that first day or extend that day to Mt Leconte Shelter or Lodge. Great views. Great view at Newfound Gap. Include the Jump Off/Charlie Bunion.

I did a 3 day fall mid wk hike getting dropped off at Clingmans for sunrise to Mt Camareer(Davenport Gap) with an out and back to Mt Leconte. First night I tried to stay at Mt Leconte shelter but it was closed. I stayed at Icewater after seeing sunset at a rock ledge near the Leconte Shelter. Next morn I did the JumpOff and taking in Charlie Bunion. Got some views at Cammareer and one at Guyot. It's only about 55 miles if memory serves me correct with the out and back to MT LeConte. If that's too far go from Clingmans to Mt Leconte with an out and back at Charlie Bunion. Not enough. Head out Alum and over to Chimneys. This can be reversed.

I did a 2 night 2 day slower hike parking at Chimney Tops. Did CT's. Connected via an old non maintained overgrown man way to Sugarland Mt Tr to Rough Cr to Goshen Prong to the AT NOBO to Clingmans staying that first night at Mt Collins. If that's too far at the AT/Goshen Prong junction take the AT SOBO a short distance to Double Spring Gap. Next day take the AT NOBO to Icewater and do an additional out and back of Charlies Bunion OR if able, after sunset and Charlie Bunions, stay at Mt Leconte. Catch sunrise at Mt Leconte. Boulevard is night likable as well as the AT. CB's can be eliminated if you want but I like the trail and view of virtually nothing man made.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    park at twenty mile...........head up to AT..........stay at 113............head over to gregory and spend the night............you'd have to add some other trails to hit 45-50 miles though.....
    1st Day: Park at Twenty Mile, hike up Wolf Ridge to stay at #13 below Gregory Bald.
    2nd Day: Hike to Mollies Ridge or Russle Field shelter.
    3rd Day: Back track to Doe Knob and down AT to 113.
    4th Day: Stop by Shuckstack fire down on your way down AT and Twentymile trail to complete the loop.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you could get a shuttle between Tremont and back side of Cades Cove Loop (two cars would be great because a shuttle service would be expensive)...

I'd love to park at the Middle Prong Trail head, get dropped off at Gregory Ridge Trail Head.
    Day 1. Hike either Gregory Ridge Trail OR hike Parson's Branch Road to Gregory Bald to reach CS 13 just below Gregory Bald.
    Day 2. Hike to Spence Field. If you have time/gumption, hike on up to Rocky Top for dinner.
    Day 3. Hike the AT (where you still get to see Rocky Top if you didn't the day before) to Miry Ridge to reach CS 26 (prettiest GSMNP CS IMHO)
    Day 4. Panther Creek and Middle Prong to reach your car.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    If you don't mind using shelters, there's LeConte and Icewater Springs to consider. To make it a 3-night, you could add Kephart. Not a loop, but if you can hitch back to your car, it could work. Agree that Mt Sterling is a good option also.
    While the distance is too short for what the OP is looking for, the way to do this as a loop is to park at New Found Gap:
    Day 1. AT/Sweat Heifer to Kempart
    Day 2. Brassy Branch/Dry Sluce/AT to Icewater
    Day 3. AT/Boulevard to LeConte
    Day 4. Boulevard/AT to return to car (or better... park at Alum Cave and shuttle to New Found Gap so that you can exit via Alum Cave Trail)

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    looking at heading up Gregory, hitting the AT, then loopin back on the Benton Mackay trail now. just so many awesome options!

-Dewey Cox

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ctebeau View Post
    I'm reaching out trying to find the coolest (your favorite) sites across the park. I love high altitude sights with a view so bonus points for that! hoping to make a 3 night loop trip!
    I just spent Friday night on Mt. Sterling and also there two weeks before. Lots of trail options for getting up there, and given your preferences, I'd certainly join the chorus to recommend it. From there you could do a loop that included Mt. Camerer. Was there in April '05. But you can't camp there.

There are some good swimming holes on Big Creek in the area and also several choices of trailheads to park at to make a loop.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++