WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ibuprofen

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ...............Of the 89 participants 47% were given ibuprofen 53% were given a placebo. 39 of the 89 participants(44%) had acute kidney injury at the end of the 50-mile section of the race. There was an 18 percent higher rate of kidney injury among those who took the drug compared to those who didn’t.
    Which means roughly 4 out of 5 people who suffered kidney injury did not take take ibuprofen which is something even more worrisome. How do you prevent kidney injury during extreme exercise if you don't take ibuprofen which to me is real question raised by this article and should be of concern to those who might be undertaking a thru hike and pushing big miles. Ibuprofen may add fuel to fire but how do prevent the fire in the first place?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Ibuprofen may cause gastric bleeding and kidney damage. Acetaminophen may cause liver damage. Best to take them on a zero day with plenty of water, never while actively hiking, especially if you are over 50. If i take Ibuprofen, i always take a small dose of over the counter pepcid with it to minimize gastric bleeding. I have osteoarthritis in my left knee and old fracture in my right knee, so i know a thing or two about pain. As long as my pain is tolerable, I rather not take any medication. I hike with knee braces, which helps a bit.

Which means roughly 4 out of 5 people who suffered kidney injury did not take take ibuprofen The details of the study don't support that assumption. Details were not given how may of the 39 of the total 89 in the study who were found to have acute kidney injury took ibuprofen. All 89 did not take ibuprofen. Only 47% did. 53% of the 89 participants were given a placebo.

Well made pts about everything else though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Which means roughly 4 out of 5 people who suffered kidney injury did not take take ibuprofen The details of the study don't support that assumption. Details were not given how may of the 39 of the total 89 in the study who were found to have acute kidney injury took ibuprofen. All 89 did not take ibuprofen. Only 47% did. 53% of the 89 participants were given a placebo.

Well made pts about everything else though.
    You are right - bad math.
    I found a link to the data collected during the study:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT02272725

34% (16 of 47) of the runners who took the placebo suffered kidney injury and 52% (22 of 42) of the runners who took ibuprofen suffered kidney injury. Roughly 4 out of 10 (16/38) who suffered kidney injury did not take ibuprofen.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I’m gonna do my best to halt intake of ibuprofen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++