WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ibuprofen

Default Ibuprofen

Hey do these elite trail guys, Jurek, Meltzer, McConaughey, Saabe... do they take ibuprofen or are they in better condition?! I did 50 miles today and hurt, so good.

I'm surprised they aren't opioid addicts
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Hey do these elite trail guys, Jurek, Meltzer, McConaughey, Saabe... do they take ibuprofen or are they in better condition?! I did 50 miles today and hurt, so good.
    The reason most can’t handle that pace is vitamin I deficiency. Up your intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're young you can probably get away with taking a fair amount of ibuprofen. If you're older or have high blood pressure or diabetes you need to be cautious, as it raises the risk of heart attack, stroke and kidney damage. Some long distance athletes have been hospitalized for acute kidney injury due to this, typically when they also got dehydrated. A safer (though more expensive) choice is voltaren cream for superficial joint pain, less gets absorbed to cause problems, but even the generic is expensive.

50 miles in a day? I don't even like driving that far in one day ��

I think Flyin' Brian took 16 ibuprofen on his final day of the Barkley. Some go even further with Hydrocodone or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    I think Flyin' Brian took 16 ibuprofen on his final day of the Barkley. Some go even further with Hydrocodone or similar.
    16?!?!? Hydrocodone?!??

16?!?!? Hydrocodone?!??

Images

I haven't needed Advil after doing a single long day, even 50+ miles. But after multiple consectutive high mile days I end up popping way too many.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Where is Dogwood when ya need him?

Come on people, lay off the drugs. There’s all kinds of things that one can do for muscle soreness. ‘Active recovery’, muscle massage devices, homeopathic anti-inflammatory remedies, strengthening exercises....

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post

Come on people, lay off the drugs. There’s all kinds of things that one can do for muscle soreness. ‘Active recovery’, muscle massage devices, homeopathic anti-inflammatory remedies, strengthening exercises....
    Perhaps the "lone voice in the wilderness" is out in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post

(Sorry, I was bein a little snarky. I occasionally have to take Ibuprofen too.)

I don't know what guys like Jurek are or are not taking, but it's definitely better not to get in the habit of popping Ibuprofen on the regular. As other have mentioned, liver and kidney damage is a real concern, as well as stomach ulcers. Plus, going 50 miles in a day is supposed to hurt, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post

Ahh, that's not snarky. That's a compliment... and damn good advice exploring alternative approaches/remedies aimed at mostly addressing causes rather than symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    If I wasn't injured and about to start another work project I'd be out on a hike right now looking up at the stars and planets.

It takes a variety of aspects to be the champions these folks are or accomplish the things they have achieved.

I can only speak to Scott Jurek crediting a plant based diet for his endurance, recovery, and consistent twenty yr career racing. I strongly doubt Scott is in the habit of popping pain pills to the degree the U.S. masses are based on all he advocates. That is NOT to say Karl and Karel are choosing a plant based diet. I know they do not. AGAIN, it takes a variety of aspects to be the champions these folks are or accomplish the things they have achieved. This is NOT a diet debating thread!

Professional athletes recognize that diet and lifestyle choices play a vital role in inflammation. Although not in a league of elite professional athletes myself I can attest to this requiring less or no need for habitually popping pain pills.

vegetarianism
    , he follows a 100% plant-based diet, which he credits for his endurance, recovery and consistent twenty year racing careervegetare follows a 100% plant-based diet, which he credits for his endurance, recovery and consistent twenty year racing career.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It takes a variety of aspects to be the champions these folks are or accomplish the things they have achieved.

I can only speak to Scott Jurek crediting a plant based diet for his endurance, recovery, and consistent twenty yr career racing. I strongly doubt Scott is in the habit of popping pain pills to the degree the U.S. masses are based on all he advocates. That is NOT to say Karl and Karel are choosing a plant based diet. I know they do not. AGAIN, it takes a variety of aspects to be the champions these folks are or accomplish the things they have achieved. This is NOT a diet debating thread!

Professional athletes recognize that diet and lifestyle choices play a vital role in inflammation. Although not in a league of elite professional athletes myself I can attest to this requiring less or no need for habitually popping pain pills.

vegetarianism
    , he follows a 100% plant-based diet, which he credits for his endurance, recovery and consistent twenty year racing careervegetare follows a 100% plant-based diet, which he credits for his endurance, recovery and consistent twenty year racing career.
    This is a great point. Consistent physical and mental training to be able to endure the abuses of long days on trail is important. A diet rich in anti inflammatory foods is important. Due to genetics, some people just don't have the inflammatory response that others have. Good sleep to recover well plays a huge role. There is no one simple factor that explains why some people can accomplish an impressive feat like setting a new FKT.

That's 4x the most dosage allowed. That's overdosing on pain meds.

What is a diet rich in anti inflammatory foods? Fascinating points for sure!

1. Whoever said a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods is right on the money.... https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...oods#section10

2. Take Aleve instead... Advil lasts 8 hrs Aleve lasts 12 hrs..... In a double-blind study, it was found that 12 hours after the dose was administered naproxen sodium (Aleve) was significantly more effective in relieving pain than ibuprofen (Advil)

3. Try some compression clothing it helps with recovery..... https://www.scienceforsport.com/compression-garments/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++