WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Family Of 8 Is About To Complete the Appalachian Trail - GearJunkie

GearJunkie

A Family Of 8 Is About To Complete the Appalachian Trail
    GearJunkie
    They had all but forgotten about hiking the Appalachian Trail until 2017, when Kami mentioned hiking it as a family. At that time, they determined there was nothing holding them back. All of the children were old enough and healthy, their finances were ...

More...

Sherlock used to be my most admired AT hiker because he had six thru hikes done by the time he was 28 years old.

This family now has the top spot for accomplishments on the Appalachian Trail to me.
    Simply amazing what they are doing.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

I tried watching their videos on YouTube. But that father is so physically revolting, I had to quit. The camera in his face every morning. My gosh. Remember the old captain caveman cartoon? That is him.

I also don't like people using their kids as props for publicity. Glad they made it. Now please just go away.

Images

A nice article. I cannot watch the videos either, but their accomplishment really is amazing. The article does not address the BSP no one less than 6 above treelike problem. I wonder if they even know about it? They could be in for an unhappy surprise when they get there.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I didn't watch their videos. When I first heard about this family doing this I was skeptical, especially with the baby in tow, but I also didn't realize how much experience they had as a family when it came to backpacking together.

I am honestly impressed they are almost done. All due respect to this family...what a memorable experience for them all (except Rainier)

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    A nice article. I cannot watch the videos either, but their accomplishment really is amazing. The article does not address the BSP no one less than 6 above treelike problem. I wonder if they even know about it? They could be in for an unhappy surprise when they get there.
    Well the only one younger than 6 is Rainier so maybe half can stay behind and summit, then meet back up and the other half can summit the same day or the next day. It is doable...they've figured out a lot of tough logistics already.

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post

I also don't like people using their kids as props for publicity.
    not whats happened at all, obtuse statement.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

That is of course why you do research ahead of time.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    not whats happened at all, obtuse statement.
    I'll agree here...They got "unwanted publicity" when he jacked the baby in the face.

I think it is an enormous accomplishment, all things considered. I wonder how much money they spent.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I wonder how much money they spent.
    They did receive a lot of generosity from others along the way, that being said, I would say the trip cost them 15-20k

just a quick tabulation of 7 folks on a 17 week multiplier..
    1 $15 meal a week
    1 hotel room(Split between 8 people)
    8 plane tickets home (average 175 a person)
    is a total of 6k
    not to mention resupply x7 people, replacement gear, logistics of his parents coming to the trail
    that 3 day hiatus they took to go run their favorite marathon in ohio
    or all of the spontaneous dinner plans they made. 20K would not surprise me in the least.

What a great family trip, spoken from the one of their biggest non supporters for the beginning of their trip. I am glad they tried, and I am glad they finish
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

It seems Kami contacted BSP about two weeks ago to ask about the kid. Guess we’ll have to wait to see what happens...

https://youtu.be/KZvMGQ2yWlc

It seems Kami contacted BSP about two weeks ago to ask about the kid. Guess we’ll have to wait to see what happens...

I just saw this family a couple of weeks ago in the White Mountains. The first time I saw them was just north of Mount Washington. The father had the baby on his back in a carrier and I kind of freaked out. There are nothing but boulders there and if he fell, there was no way the baby would not be hurt. I saw them a couple of days later in the Wildcat range and there was no baby. So it seems they do on occasion hike without the baby or at least in this case they did. The word was they were staying somewhere for a day or so, so they must have found a baby sitter.

BTW. They were moving fast and blew by me (but I'm real slow anyway). I imagine they are less than 200 miles from the Katahdin by now.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    BTW. They were moving fast and blew by me (but I'm real slow anyway). I imagine they are less than 200 miles from the Katahdin by now.
    Oops! I should have read the article first. I see that as of three days ago they were 150 miles from the end. They're probably 100 miles or less at the end of the today. As I said, they move fast.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post

Started watching their blogs a few days ago.
    They just recently found out that they can't bring Rainier (the two yr old) to the summit of Katahdin. Whatever they end up doing, they will do it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kX7hGVFm1g

Journal Entries

vlogs not blogs

Journal Entries
    Images

Edit: Posted thought to another thread. Did not need repeating here.
    Last edited by rickb; 08-08-2018 at 06:37.

Did they remove a thread about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    A shuttle driver started several different threads about this.
    They've probably just fallen off the front page.
    It's over, time to move on.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    A shuttle driver started several different threads about this.
    They've probably just fallen off the front page.
    It's over, time to move on.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++