WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water between Dicks Creek and Fontana Dam. What temp sleeping bag to bring? Aug 11-18

Anyone have a water report from Dicks Creek to Fontana Dam. I'm starting Saturday August 11 to Saturday August 18.

Also, what temperature sleeping bag or quilt to bring? I have a EE 20 degree quilt I think its overkill. Any thoughts???

I don't know about water, but on the sleeping bag question 20 degrees will be way too hot. I wouldn't go any lower than a 40 degree bag or quilt, and you may not even need to go that warm, depending on how hot or cold you usually sleep on the trail.
    Last edited by map man; 07-30-2018 at 18:37.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Everyone hates this type of general response, but here goes from a local: water will probably not be a problem. We have had plenty of rain in this area over the last few months. We are supposed to get several inches of rain over the next few days. In fact, they have issued flood watches in north Georgia and western NC. Also, I agree with map man. Just something light weight that will keep you warm down to about 45 or 50. Enjoy your hike.

Leonidas

Did that exact section in July, no water issues and the lowest it got down to was ~50 one night. I brought my 50 degree quilt and was fine, I sleep hot though.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I've lived in North Georgia near the AT for about 30 years and this has been about the wettest summer I can remember. It appears that it will continue into August. Seasonal springs and creeks that are usually dry this time of year are flowing at high volume. A 50 degree bag will probably work nicely, unless you get wet and cold during the day. If it's windy and been raining ice water on you for hours, it is possible to get cold around here even in August. If that should happen, it might feel good crawling into a nice dry 40 degree bag at night. I agree that anything lower than a 40 degree bag would be overkill for August though.
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Thanks for your response. Thanks for the advice. With all the rain i should be fine with carrying a 2 liter bladder.

[QUOTEIf that should happen, it might feel good crawling into a nice dry 40 degree bag at night. I agree that anything lower than a 40 degree bag would be overkill for August though.[/QUOTE]

I will just be bringing a newly bought EE 40 degree quilt. Will bee good here in Ohio until the mid fall. I should be good carrying a 2 liter water bladder. I m so grateful for the rain. Had to cancel at trip in the past due to low water levels in GSMNP. Thanks for the advice!

Did a day hike from Dicks Creek to plumorchard gap shelter on 7/28. The water is plenty and flowing good!.

++ New Posts ++