Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One word: permetherin

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    My buddy from Florida let me use his Sawyer filter. Rather than dig mine out, I said sure. 200 feet down the trail I was making a U turn back to the water source. Apparently "Swamp" is a very real flavor, that sticks to filters.
    LOL. I'm waiting for Swamp Naturally Flavored "nutritional" bars and snake/gator jerky.

Images

Most mountain bred hikers are spoiled on the constantly changing elevation so that hiking here carries a stigma of being repetitive and boring.

Florida hiking is an acquired taste to be sure but I've been in these woods since I could walk so no where else feels as much like home. As someone earlier pointed out, our state was not easy to settle but once a foothold was found, the developers went crazy. Now there are less and less patches of green on the map but those that are still there are primordial compared to the sheen and gloss of suburban Florida. Hiking here, especially in Central and South FL is like hiking in the jungle. You have to be prepared for that. It's not a pleasant New England stoll to the crick over Granny's bunion or whatever. There are things that want to eat you and a lot of things that want your blood. We've been the lightening strike capitol of the world AND the shark bite capitol of the world numerous times throughout the years. The summer weather is brutal and dangerous in the same way that hiking in the desert in the summer is brutal and dangerous--you can't just strike out on the trail and expect to have a good time. You need to approach it with all the extremes in mind. And not just heat--there is nothing quit as humbling as spending an afternoon thunderstorm gripping a cypress trunk and praying you don't end up a lightening strike statistic.

That being said, I've had some great summer hikes in Florida--especially those that end with a swim in one of our famous springs.

Winter hiking in Florida is our reward for suffering through the heat and rain of the summer.

Some folks like to talk about how boring or flat Florida is. The scenery does not hit you over the head with beauty in the way Yosemite Valley or Shenandoah might. You have to be a little more perceptive to "get" the beauty of Florida's nature--the little things like the morning dew bleeding through the saw grass or the wind singing in the long leaf pine needles or the constantly changing ecosystems. We have one of the most diverse ecosystems in the world--walk twenty yards and you go from pine scrub to oak hammock to riparian marsh and back again. I will admit it can be hard to look past the endless seas of palmetto but that's part of the challenge.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    Most mountain bred hikers are spoiled on the constantly changing elevation so that hiking here carries a stigma of being repetitive and boring.

Florida hiking is an acquired taste to be sure but I've been in these woods since I could walk so no where else feels as much like home. As someone earlier pointed out, our state was not easy to settle but once a foothold was found, the developers went crazy. Now there are less and less patches of green on the map but those that are still there are primordial compared to the sheen and gloss of suburban Florida. Hiking here, especially in Central and South FL is like hiking in the jungle. You have to be prepared for that. It's not a pleasant New England stoll to the crick over Granny's bunion or whatever. There are things that want to eat you and a lot of things that want your blood. We've been the lightening strike capitol of the world AND the shark bite capitol of the world numerous times throughout the years. The summer weather is brutal and dangerous in the same way that hiking in the desert in the summer is brutal and dangerous--you can't just strike out on the trail and expect to have a good time. You need to approach it with all the extremes in mind. And not just heat--there is nothing quit as humbling as spending an afternoon thunderstorm gripping a cypress trunk and praying you don't end up a lightening strike statistic.

That being said, I've had some great summer hikes in Florida--especially those that end with a swim in one of our famous springs.

Winter hiking in Florida is our reward for suffering through the heat and rain of the summer.

Some folks like to talk about how boring or flat Florida is. The scenery does not hit you over the head with beauty in the way Yosemite Valley or Shenandoah might. You have to be a little more perceptive to "get" the beauty of Florida's nature--the little things like the morning dew bleeding through the saw grass or the wind singing in the long leaf pine needles or the constantly changing ecosystems. We have one of the most diverse ecosystems in the world--walk twenty yards and you go from pine scrub to oak hammock to riparian marsh and back again. I will admit it can be hard to look past the endless seas of palmetto but that's part of the challenge.
    what a well spoken passionate description of your home, maybe one day i will get a chance to hike it with your perspective in mind. Thank you.

X2 on the permethrin. It not only kills ticks, it repels just about every insect - including mosquitoes.

...and filtered swamp pond water still tastes like pond water, even with a fruity powdered drink mix added to it...and when it's 95* farenheit and that's all you have to drink, it can be a challenge to stomach enough to stay hydrated.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    ...and filtered swamp pond water still tastes like pond water, even with a fruity powdered drink mix added to it...and when it's 95* farenheit and that's all you have to drink, it can be a challenge to stomach enough to stay hydrated.
    You makin me homesick

Growin up we played in woods all day
    And drank from streams and ponds.....unfiltered

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    X2 on the permethrin. It not only kills ticks, it repels just about every insect - including mosquitoes.
    I can't stress permethrin enough.... on my AT thru hike I dealt with the bugs then I got to CT and treated my stuff, my head gear was key. It was like a shield around me, I went from gnats in my face all day to 0. I couldn't believe how good it worked. I guess they say it's safe to not leach in your skin right? …. I avoided treating my t-shirt and boxers just incase being the most sweat absorbing things.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th

I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++