WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp Tent Notch vs Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 in Snow

So I have a Tarp Tent Notch and a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. I have used both a good bit but i've only used the Notch in snow and that was only 2 inches of snow. Seeing how it rarely snows a substantial amount in GA I haven't been able to test the Fly Creek since I bought it. Since winters here are so unpredictable, you don't know if your gonna get a dusting or a full blown snow storm in the mountains. I will be leaving in February to thru hike the AT and can't decide which one will be better in snow. I'm thinking the Fly Creek might be a little stronger since it uses a pole system instead of trekking poles. But I really like the fast setup of the Notch. What do y'all think? Has anybody used them in snowy conditions before?

Thanks in advance

Given the extra diameter of the trekking poles and the vertical straight alignment of said poles,
    trekking poles are several orders of magnitude stronger than BA tent poles.
    Hopefully Another Kevin will be along with his experience in a Notch in real winter conditions.
    Wayne

My Notch with wet snow :
    NotchScarp2_zpsa1d005dd.jpg

It looks like it held up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    My Notch with wet snow :
    NotchScarp2_zpsa1d005dd.jpg
    What is the other tent?

That was a Tarptent Scarp 2 that belonged to a friend of mine (he used it as a solo shelter...)
    That snow was iced in the morning so you can hardly see my footsteps getting out the tent and going around it.
    (we don't often get powder snow here)

BTW, for the Notch to work under snow one needs to be able to set it up really nice and taut.
    As an aside, keep this photo in ind when folk talk about silnylon sagging.
    (the photo was taken at around 7am, the tent was put in tension at about 8PM the night before and no I did not get up to re-tension it)

Would both those TTs be good for winter use?
    Which TT would you say is the best for mild-moderate snow loads?
    Anyone else have recs for a 4 season solo/2p sub 4 lb tent?

i like my notch in 3+ seasons, in winter with moderate snowfall only. the 2 vestibules are nice, but inner space is narrow.

if i want it a little spacier i take my black diamond lighthouse, which is not available anymore. the little smaller version, the high-light, would be my prime choice nowadays. if i expect snowfall i always take the bd, lots of room with all the gear inside. no need for a vestibule. a tad bit small for 2p.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

thanks!
    I was mainly asking about 2p because some of those smaller 2p tents would be a solid winter 1p with gear based on sq. footage.
    What do others use for solo winter use under 4 lbs, preferably under 3?

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Would both those TTs be good for winter use?
    Which TT would you say is the best for mild-moderate snow loads?
    Anyone else have recs for a 4 season solo/2p sub 4 lb tent?
    Tarptent says on their website the Scarp is their best for winter use. The Scarp 2 is right at 5 pounds with the solid interior and crossing poles, under 4 lbs with mesh and no poles. The one person Scarp 1 is under 4.5 lbs for solid and crossing poles, 3.25 with mesh and no poles.

Overall, I have heard pretty good reviews for this tent, considering its weight and price. The Scarp 2 will most likely be my next tent for winter use.

I currently have a Notch, which actually does fairly well for light snow, but it is too cramped for me in winter. My 25" wide pad is wider than the tent ends, making it pitch oddly. I want the extra room of the Scarp 2.

Henry enlarged the Scarp 1 inner tent a couple years ago. Check it out.
    Wayne

The Scarp 1 inner (new and old) does take the 25" mat.(the new inner takes 2x 20" mats)
    As for what works , space wise, not in the trip where the photo I posted was taken but in a similar situation another mate was using a hooped bivy .
    Compared to that my Notch was a large shelter but my other mate was still happy to use his Scarp 2.

++ New Posts ++