WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking on a Budget

My friend and I are planning on starting the trail next spring, and looking into how much planning we need to do ahead of time. Have people found mailing packages or buying supplies in town to be cheaper? I've read differing opinions online (which I'm sure is the case here as well) but I would definitely be interested in hearing everyone's strategies or what was worth it to do to save money.

It is usually cheapest to resupply at a big box store, but there are a few places where those are far from the trail. In those instances you can carry more weight, hike faster, or rely on a mail drop. For the most part mail drops only become cost-effective for people who have specific diets. I often use mail drops as I dehydrate my own food.

Journal Entries

I also use maildrops because i dehydrate some of my food (dinners mostly, some fruit.) And i hate shopping in town.

Mailing doesnt save money. It can save time. Grab n go. I pre strip and package, include tp, am, batts, etc. Works for me up to about 1 mo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-01-2018 at 20:56.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

what's "am"??

From a money standpoint, buying your food along the way is the cheaper option. The cost to mail makes it so. Twas a time when postage was cheap, the mail reliable, and stores were scarce that food drops were the way to go. When it costs 20 bucks to mail 20 bucks worth of grub it's time to move on. With a mail drop system you sometimes end up spending money (as in an extra day in town) waiting on the post office.

You can get by cheaper by resupplying with a buddy, a lot of times, packaged items are of a higher quantity then what a hiker needs so by splitting you are a lot of times buying close to the same amount as a overall cost but your not having to leave stuff in the hiker box or over pack to not waste.

You buy a box of poptarts - 10 packs in the box, you only need 5. so you and little johnny split the box, none is wasted and little johnny doesn't have to buy a second box of poptarts.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

When I did the trail in 2014 I resupplied in towns except in four instances. As noted above with the cost of mail today it is not really cheaper to send boxes ahead. Another problem with mail resupply is that most hikers end up not using all the food as their taste changes or they have backed way to much into the box. My only resupplies were very early in the hike when many places were not open yet (ie. Fontana).

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    what's "am"??
    I'm guessing aquamira.

I've read trail journals. I've read resupply costs. I've crunched the numbers. Ive packed sample resupply boxes. Imho mail is cheaper.

I'm still of the opinion that mail drops are cheaper.
    However that requires alot of planning and personal knowledge... as well as self imposed restrictions on your freedom to improvise.
    It helps a ton to have folks at home, even then... things can go wrong.
    I put up a bunch of beef jerky in the freezer at home; but didn't really think about condensation while thawing. That resulted in mold forming on the jerky during several drops.

It can be way more expensive if you plan poorly... or simply change your mind.
    The true NEED for paper maps and guidebooks being sent out each section is virtually eliminated these days... so that benefit (sending each set of maps and club books out) is not really there.

I think the more realistic system is a bounce box or mail drop as you go plan.
    This leaves you shipping shorter distances and only planning a few weeks out... but lets you resupply in some kind of bulk at trail towns with larger stores.
    More often than not... folks take a true break every few weeks (a full zero or two). Planning to do that where it makes sense would let you shop cheaper, do a few drops into more expensive or limited option places as well as keep your diet good and meal choices current.

Something to keep in mind; when you're in your early 20's you can eat just about anything. So resupply with dollar general soup and oatmeal and junk can work. But even then... even junk food and bars are often double the price and add up fast. More importantly it can cost you with nutrition related fatigue, moodiness and other issues as you go.

As you get older you're going to have a harder time plowing through with gas station resupply type fare too.

A cheap feed/food strategy can save you some money... but if you roll into town every three to five days with a raging need for all the town food you can shove down your throat... then a $20-$40 meal just wiped the savings from that ramen 12 pack and instant oats you picked to get you through the last 3 days. If nothing else you're better off shopping first... and being shocked by that bill. Usually it's the other way around and you see some hiker having two burgers and 6 pints at night when they roll into town... then watch them try to figure how to scratch out a $10 resupply in the morning.

I freeze dry my own foods. I eat a specific way. Or more specifically, I don't eat 90% of what everyone else eats. I found I could quite economically ship 4-5 days worth of food by using my own boxes and going priority. Since my foods were so light but consumed a little more space, this is the way I go instead of using those "flat rate" boxes.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I freeze dry my own foods. I eat a specific way. Or more specifically, I don't eat 90% of what everyone else eats. I found I could quite economically ship 4-5 days worth of food by using my own boxes and going priority. Since my foods were so light but consumed a little more space, this is the way I go instead of using those "flat rate" boxes.
    About how much do you spend per box?

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    About how much do you spend per box?
    Using the USPS postage calculator and using these assumptions: 10 pounds (5 days @ 2 pounds a day) in a 12" x 9" x 9" box, shipped from NH to GA will cost $22.65 and take 7 days (hopefully) using Retail ground. Priority 2 day is $25.95 Priority Large flat rate is $18.90.

It's clearly cheaper to use the large flat rate if you can fit it in the box.

Now, lets say you do a typical 4 month thru hike and need a box every 5 days. That's 24 boxes x 18.90 = $453.6 in postage. Or as much as $528. Now you also have to make sure you can get to the PO/Store/hostel/Motel to get the package, when their open and when you need the box. Get there a day early you have too much food, get there a day late and you've run out of food. Sent a package to the PO and you get to town after noon on a Saturday. You have to sit on your butt until Monday morning. Send a package to a Hostel and they loose it or someone steals it- your going hungry.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

https://www.squantossecret.com/ A shout out to the Dollar General! Ya'll are way over-thinkin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    ....or someone steals it- your going hungry.
    Is that really a thing?

Misplaced, lost, held or damaged is probably more a thing.

Journal Entries

I will mail 5 day resupply. The cost of whats in box may be $60, with $20 more to mail, and $5 + for a place to hold it sometimes. Solid 40% added to mail it!

Wont even talk about places that charge much more to hold package.

Default Hiking on a Budget

I used mail drops all the way through and never had an issue with any of those concerns. I have my own fruit and cereal concoction for breakfast and dehydrate all my dinners.

I eat what I want to eat, not what dollar general dictates.

I could pack as much as six days in a large 12”x12”x6” priority box.

I did avoided mailing to post offices due to weekend closures. Hostels were always more than accommodating holding and securing boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Deacon; 08-04-2018 at 06:07.

Over roughly 10 years of sectioning I met several folks that had "issues" with supply boxes. Some of the private businesses do not have secured areas and are not that careful in making sure the hiker is grabbing the right box. The most memorable was the run down hotel next to the Interstate in Atkins VA, All the boxes were in an unlocked room and the staff let hikers retrieve their own packages. A couple with food allergies arrived and someone had grabbed their box, took what they wanted and threw the rest in a hiker box. They had to stop their hike and hitch into a larger town to get food they could eat.

I used to live down the road from the local post office. On Monday mornings when I drove to work there would be line of hikers sitting on the porch of the post office waiting for it to open. The post office officially closed at noon on Saturdays but some staff would be in the building and if so they would retrieve packages for hikers who knocked on the back door.

Unfortunately some sleazebags would lie to folks that their box didnt arrive or was stolen in order to get folks to take pity on them. I ran into one shady character that claimed to have food allergies so was asking for money so he could go buy his special food. I was on a town day and saw him walking down the road a few hours later with a 12 pack of beer.

There are well known spots where a box makes sense but barring food allergy issues you will not starve doing local resupply.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 08-04-2018 at 07:44.

Back in the 1980s I was living out of my backpack and spending alot of time on the AT. It's all about "dirtbagging it".

What's dirtbagging? Living on next to nothing but still hiking and living outdoors. This includes hitchhiking to various trailheads, at times using substandard gear most especially cheap boots and goodwill clothing, and other techniques.

In those days I lived on $40 per month out on the trail and this is how I did it---

** I got all my food from little stores along the way---never cached food off the trail or sent mail drops.
    ** As a vegetarian I got what I needed from these stores like oatmeal and peanut butter and raisins and cheese/cream cheese and corn chips etc. I didn't think twice about carrying cheap canned food and I always carried my little P38 can opener.

** I routinely carried bags of lentils and brown rice and actually used my Svea 123 stove to simmer cook these foods whereby a tremendous amount of money could be saved by carrying these two in bulk. This is the secret to cheap trail food---long cooking times with bulk beans and rice. Sure you carry more white gas fuel but so what?

** I relied on wild edibles like violet greens and chickweed and wild mustard etc to supplement my diet for free.
    ** I was never hesitant to dumpster dive for food when the opportunity presented itself.

** My pack WAS my apartment and I had no vehicle in my name and so my off-trail bills were nonexistent. No rent, no utilities, no insurance, no wife, no kids, no cellphone, and minimal work---or just enough work to keep me backpacking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++