Default Causes of Norovirus on PCT in 2022

Here is an article on norovirus on the PCT in 2022 based on a CDC field study, with excellent information on how it was spread, and how to avoid it. Very eye opening.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...0contaminated.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 09-24-2023 at 09:19.

The vectors of infections like norovirus or parasites are many, most of which are in plain sight. Untreated water, tabletops and common surfaces, stairs and other places people will sit, railings, on/in packs, clothing, in food vessels and on utensils. However, hands tend to be the most common conveyance of these miseries. Hands are often ignored in favor of necessity, speed, or convenience that can be trek ending if not life threatening. Norovirus can survive on surfaces for two weeks, in water norovirus can survive for many months if not longer, much like water borne parasites.

Part of the problem is people who are infected usually don't realize it for a while, allowing the virus to shed onto various surfaces from table tops to saplings up a steep incline everyone grabs. Virus and parasite infections can be difficult to avoid for those unaware of how they tend to travel between hikers, to which I have some personal rules to protect me and others from virus transfer.

• Hands are the chief vehicle these pathogens ride on so I avoid shaking hands and fist bumps.
    • I don't allow anyone to handle the gorp bag or any food items, shake some out to share.
    • Not allowing anyone into my pack and declining the offer to go into others packs for things.
    • Wash hands frequently w/soap before handling food or water and after waste elimination.
    • Always wash up downstream of water accessed by everyone and away from the water source.
    • Avoid table tops or other common surfaces where others prepare and/or eat food.
    • Use a water filter and a chemical disinfectant like Aquamiria for drinking water to kill norovirus.
    • Eliminate body wastes down hill from the trail, water sources, and/or camping areas.
    • Learn how to dig a proper cat-hole and preferably haul out TP so animals don't dig it up.
    • I typically set up my tent away from a shelter or others to reduce casual contact.

There is no real magic to this, "keep your hands to yourself" is still the overarching rule we learned in first grade to adhere to and reduce chance of infection from incidental contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    "keep your hands to yourself"
    That would be a cool lyric for a song......
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Several singers agree!

> That would be a cool lyric for a song

For the curious, here's the original:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WonO...youtu.be&t=31s

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    > That would be a cool lyric for a song

For the curious, here's the original:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WonO...youtu.be&t=31s
    Well shoot....there goes my hopes and dreams of being a song writer....
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

• Avoid table tops or other common surfaces where others prepare and/or eat food.

I carry a Tyvek envelope with my cook kit that I use for a kitchen/placemat. Keeps things somewhat clean and everything in one place so I don't forget something.
    Kitchen.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    [/LIST]

I carry a Tyvek envelope with my cook kit that I use for a kitchen/placemat. Keeps things somewhat clean and everything in one place so I don't forget something.
    Kitchen.jpg
    Putting your Tyvek on a contaminated surface could contaminate the Tyvek.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Well shoot....there goes my hopes and dreams of being a song writer....
    It was however, a meteoric rise into stunning popularity dwarfing that of Taylor Swift for .00329 seconds. Color me impressed!

On a section hike in the Spring of 2015, I got sick at Pickle Branch Shelter with what I'm fairly sure was Norovirus. My guess is that I got it from touching a table or other surface at one of the previous shelters.

++ New Posts ++