WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default A face With The Name

I know a lot of folks may enjoy the elusiveness of using a screen name while others such as Tipi Walter, myself, AnotherKevin comes to mind from his avatar, don't mind if folks see what we look like. I am friends with several on Facebook from the Whiteblaze community, and have run in to several on the trail, and several have recognized me while they see me on the trail while I may not have known what they look like. As well when I started hiking the trail prior to knowing of this "Shuttle List" rigamarole I got several rides off of WB, and when they would get to the pickup point they would shout out "Ok where is Gambit!" Its a fun time running into people you have talk to and putting a face with the name helps do so. I will start the greetings off with a picture taken just outside of Brevard, NC last weekend when Myself (Picture Right) and Ms. Gambit (Center) went to visit one of our best friends, and my best hiking partner(Picture Left) for the weekend. After playing cards all night we drove up to Black Balsam at 4am for a sunrise and we were not disappointed. It was the first time Ms. Gambit has gotten a glimpse into my element and she was so happy to experience it. It was indeed a great weekend!

IMG_9802.JPG

This was on our way back down Black Balsam and we both liked it, she snuck the picture in on me but I'm Glad she did!
    IMG_9867.JPG

My hikin buddy and I are bantering back and fourth all the time. He's a big camera guy so pic 1 I am giving the thumbs up for being with a pro picture taker
    IMG_9816.JPG

Ms. Gambit: "Al grab Chris for a picture" - Al Grabs Chris for a photo...Ms. Gambit:
    IMG_9821.JPG

Our "serious" picture
    IMG_9822.JPG

Hope others will enjoy posting and shedding some light on their lives past the week in week out trail talk and shuttle info
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 08-02-2018 at 11:30.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The danger of doing this is that a SA like me will point out that she is way to cute for you!!!

Nice pics!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Yeah, I'll remain anonymous, thanks. It only takes one nut job to ruin your day.

Images

You and I should have had the Red Head take our picture on Hump Mtn. 2 years ago!

I'd use this picture here if I were a donating member, but I use it on other hiking forums, my blog, my Instagram and public FB page for my blog:
    20170907_141400 by hunting_tiger, on Flickr

The issue with posting photos is its one more piece of personal information that gets scraped up and put in some big database.

I appreciate the reservations of some who use screen names... but really do appreciate knowing who people really are.
    Not that we're going to solve the internet... but if nothing else folks tend to conduct themselves with a bit more social grace when anonymity is removed.

On the irony side... I am on Facebook and get friend requests from the hiking community.
    Not that being my 'friend' gets you much, I mainly use it for business and to track social media for FKT's... so not much of interest there personally.

But now that Gambit has posted his photo... I can now put 2 and 2 together and realize why some random person on facebook was asking me to get them some Zombie Dust!

There are lots of folks who 'friend' me who I'd imagine are members here at WB or hammock forums who I have no idea who you are. We might be friends here in some sense; have PM's, email exchanges, or even gear sales take place and unless someone shares a screen name with me there is no way for me to put a face to a name. It certainly gets confussing from time to time as a result.

Not that it's critical, but since Ms Dune Elliot was kind enough to share I'll pick on her!
    Even when discussing gear or just BSing on pack fit a picture can help quite a bit for everyone involved... so sharing can benefit you as well.

I ran into Florida Mike on the Long Trail and while he recognized me, I had no clue who he was until we started talking.
    I'm sure there are many here who pass each other by, share a shelter, or otherwise might have had a chance to connect who missed out.
    Especially as some like to disparage WB on the trail, despite spending time here when off trail; it can be even harder to make that connection.

But if that's your thing... it is what it is.
    Despite being very sick and doing a whirlwind drive, I greatly enjoyed going on the Winter Harriman trek and meeting folks I chat with here face to face. Hoping to eventually get out again...
    Always curious how many more folks I would've met or had a chance to interact with differently if we were more than just a screen name to each other.

About the only downside I've had to being 'public' is a few messages or exchanges with some folks during Kaiha's hike.
    But probably the only truly nasty comment was actually sent via PM from here. Mainly involving my quoting an Ani Difranco song which was pretty funny to me overall.

One of the sweetest interactions I saw also came via facebook...
    When a fella named Billie stepped up and offered up some help... he got attacked pretty hard from supporters and even had his FB page shut down.
    I sent him one of my crappy books as thanks... but not long after the mommy of a very popular hiker sent a very sweet message to him thanking him personally for standing up and doing the right thing.
    It was very touching and there were no regrets fer either Bill involved.

By far my experience has been 'true to the trail'... For the most part I'm left alone.
    I occasionally get to help people, and occasionally get help.

Real trail magic is always about connection to the trail and your fellow hikers.
    Hard for that to happen when you're on your couch or in the digital closet.
    If you are willing to step forward, maybe you'll also find that you don't need to be in sight of a white blaze to enjoy a little magic from time to time.

I have my public persona and I limit it to what is seen and shared on all my social outlets...the only exception is my very private FB page that only friends can see. I share few personal details and trips and reports etc are only posted well after my time there...I am well aware of the risks of the internet. Plus I don't exactly have many followers and if someone recognized me from a few WB or blog pictures its probably more to do with my penchant for bright, memorable hiking clothes.

While I am aware of the collection of personal info on FB or by Google you can only really avoid that kind of thing if you stay off the internet altogether, and that's why I make a calculated decision on what I actively and inactively share.

I'm more wary about sharing stuff on a prepper/survivalist forum of which I am a member than here...no one is going to watch hiker forums much , if at all. Backpackers aren't going to end up on anyone's watchlist.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I have my public persona and I limit it to what is seen and shared on all my social outlets...the only exception is my very private FB page that only friends can see. I share few personal details and trips and reports etc are only posted well after my time there...I am well aware of the risks of the internet. Plus I don't exactly have many followers and if someone recognized me from a few WB or blog pictures its probably more to do with my penchant for bright, memorable hiking clothes.

While I am aware of the collection of personal info on FB or by Google you can only really avoid that kind of thing if you stay off the internet altogether, and that's why I make a calculated decision on what I actively and inactively share.

I'm more wary about sharing stuff on a prepper/survivalist forum of which I am a member than here...no one is going to watch hiker forums much , if at all. Backpackers aren't going to end up on anyone's watchlist.
    Yar- fair points all.
    Nobody's out looking fer a long haired fella in a skirt either unless they want one of my hammocks... so that's a bit of luxury me an my fellow fellows have.
    Though other than my wife or someone tagging me there isn't really anything on my page either.

It's a small world... I'm really only on here, and Hammock forums. Not much for BPL anymore. And really I suck at facebook... I like forums better for conversation or back and forth and can't figure out how to follow things well enough (or fast enough) on facebook. I hate messenger too, though necessary evil really if you sell anything.
    Granted I only know a small portion of each... lots of overlap at WB/HF/BPL and several hammock customers are also on BCUSA and there is a thread or two over there about my stuff even though I've never been there.

All the funny little circles of connection pop up just the same in this side of the outdoor community...
    Met Dutch a few months back, and we were talking a little about David Canterbury as Dutch had one of his books on his desk.
    I ended up talking to David Canterbury on facebook not long after and Dutch ended up doing hammock demonstrations at Dave's place in Ohio not long ago.
    I think it's really cool how things are melding back together among the different disciplines and have some hopes for Social Media uniting more outdoorsfolks generally.

Lots of folks to connect with easily enough, though when folks contact me they 'know me' already... but when Gambit McCrae from WB contacts me on FB as "real person' I have no clue who they are and end up feeling bad if and when I finally figure it out. (18 months later in this case I think?) Feel weirder when I don't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post

Ok,I would tend to agree but then I remembered the government passed the National Defense Authorization Act so I googled a bit and learned that you can be on the list if a number of the following conditions are met such as
    paying for goods in cash,you've bot waterproof matches,you are missing any fingers,you have purchased a firearm,you own night vision binoculars,you have weatherproof ammo(ie,ammo in a can you bot because it was very cheap...),you belong to "organizations,you have bot MRE's,you have bot "night flashlights"(not sure what that is exactly),you have taken part in peaceful demonstrations or protests,and the all important one,YOU HAVE MORE THAN A WEEKS WORTH OF FOOD IN YOUR HOME.

Based on the government definitions I would think I am likely not the only person in this forum that matches some of the criteria.Not sure if owning a backpack,tent or hammock and tarp,or freeze dried food,qualifies one or not but the list I just mentioned pretty well describes most everyone in the Southern USA that I know!Here's a link to the article if you are interested http://newsfocus.org/american_terrorist.htm note:it was sorta political so I just lifted the highlights to spare you the rest.

Just to get the government going then since I'm already a member of a survivalist/prepper forum. I'm on a list somewhere, but I doubt anyone looks at it:
    20180204_095915 by hunting_tiger, on Flickr

That's my face to the left there that I use as my avatar. It is eleven years old, though, so add some wrinkles if you want to know what I look like now. If you meet me head on while hiking this is what you will see:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/sho...imageuser=7623

If you pass me from behind then this is how I will look:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/sho...imageuser=7623

And, yes, like DuneElliot's first picture, these pics are taken in the Wind River Range.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

What makes you think my picture isn't the real me?
    No wonder no-one wants to camp near me

Hey Gambit...
    if you were the guy looking for some Zombie Dust send me a PM and I will put you in touch with my Mid-west supplier.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Journal Entries

img20180802_220807.jpg

Words required to post
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-02-2018 at 23:14.

Here I am relaxing in Amsterdam after a hike.

Garlic
    Images

Well, I can report that Mags looks exactly like a Snickers bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Here I am relaxing in Amsterdam after a hike.
    Seriously, Brad Pitt? Bleugh

My summit pic last year, August 22nd.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Trail name: Thumper

LAST OF THE TENNESSEE MOUNTAIN MEN

It's hard to put a face to Dr Colon Flaccid, the last of the Eastern mountain men. I was lucky to get of pic of him after we pulled a backpacking trip together in 2016---and he walked me out to my shuttle pick up point.

We spent 3 weeks in the Slickrock Creek wilderness, which he calls the "Slick Frog Bewilderness."

Images

Aww heck I'll join in Gambit. Here's one from 4 years ago - I hadn't seen anyone on the trail in 36 hours (perhaps the only time ever on the AT) and then I run into someone walking the other direction right at the TN/VA state line. I'd just finished NC/TN and he'd just finished VA, so we swapped cameras and took each other's pictures in front of the sign.

10394831_10105642685854194_1401799441169263398_n.jpg
    It's all good in the woods.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++