WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

[QUOTE=Analog_Kidd;2219960]I have been using the Cnoc Vecto https://cnocoutdoors.com/products/vecto-water-container for my dirty water container. It has a wide mouth at one end that can easily scoop water, and a threaded end to connect the filter. Since it collapses, it can be used by squeezing or as gravity. If I need to carry more than the two 1L Smartwaters, I can just carry extra dirty water and filter later.

I like this concept. One question - have you tried to collect water with it from shallow very low flow water sources? Seems pretty easy for water sources as shown in the video, but as luck would have it I frequently am gathering water from shallow very low flow water sources.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

My body doesn’t need any more chemicals. I just use a squeeze. I’m surprised some of the “healthy food advocates” use chemicals for water treatment .

Thom

The only guy I met on the AT who didn't bring a stove wanted to borrow mine because he was tired of chewing dry ramen noodles. Don't be that guy.

As for your water system, use the sawyer squeeze with the 1 liter dirty water bag. Carry two 1L smart bottles and the dirty water bag full, to make it all day without filtering. If you insist on filtering water at lunch, just carry one bottle. It's something you can easily adjust on the trail. If you don't want to carry the hypodermic to back-flush, just buy another cartridge when it quits working. It's only $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post

I like this concept. One question - have you tried to collect water with it from shallow very low flow water sources? Seems pretty easy for water sources as shown in the video, but as luck would have it I frequently am gathering water from shallow very low flow water sources.

Furlough
    if you mean like from a puddle, I have not. I've been fortunate so far and all water sources have been deep pools, or fairly well flowing springs. Some springs have been shallow, and as long as the water flows some, the bag fills right up. The bag works best if you can use it as a scoop, or to capture flowing water.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I now have my hands on a Versa Flow filter. I really like it. Great flow. Same basic size as a Sawyer Squeeze, but shaped like a Mini. Having threads on both sides make it most versitile.

I also have a CNOC bladder. It works well with the Versa Flow filter, but not with the mini. The threads on the versa flow are deeper and the gasket has a groove to make a tight seal on the mouth of the bottle. The mini has shallower threads and a flat gasket. I did not have this problem with my mini on water bottles or Evernew bladders. This is because the CNOC threads are made out of the same soft rubbery material as the rest of the bladder. Water bottles and the Evernew Bladders have a rigid plastic for the neck and threads. I think this makes the seal more robust.
    Somehow , I poked a hole in my Cnoc Vecto, so I ordered a new one. They redesigned the neck and made it a lot stiffer, including the shoulder that you hold when screwing on the filter. It's much easier to thread on the filter now.

BTW, I called them about the hole that I clearly caused, and they said to use some Tenacious Tape on it. I got the clear plastic tape and it seems to have made a good patch. I'll be carrying some in my emergency kit.

Journal Entries

The largest weight factor in a water system is usually not the purification method, nor the bottle, nor both combined, but the water carried itself. Some methods lend themselves for carrying more or less water. Some water systems can, in theory, lend itself to small amounts of water being carried but in practice lend themselves to more water weight the the theoretical minimum, usually quite a bit more. It is one of the main time that base weight calculations end up biting you in the ass and have you carry more weight overall.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a Sawyer mini. I drilled a hole in a soda bottle cap and force fitted and glued it to the output side. I use 2 liter Evernew bags for both dirty and clean water sides. I punched holes at the bottom of the bags to carry and hang them as they gravity filter. I know it is not the most hydraulically efficient set up but it’s simple and works for me. YMMV.

I also added a quick disconnect on the output side and can filter directly into my bladder.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    My body doesn’t need any more chemicals. I just use a squeeze. I’m surprised some of the “healthy food advocates” use chemicals for water treatment .

Thom
    This is a good point, but I think Slim Jims and Ding Dongs are health food so I guess I'm okay with it.

At any rate, chlorine dioxide is used in a lot of municipal water treatment systems so we're likely getting it already. Unless the water I collect looks seriously manky (stinky with lots of floaties) I use far fewer AM drops than recommended anyway, which is nearly always.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    The only guy I met on the AT who didn't bring a stove wanted to borrow mine because he was tired of chewing dry ramen noodles. Don't be that guy.

As for your water system, use the sawyer squeeze with the 1 liter dirty water bag. Carry two 1L smart bottles and the dirty water bag full, to make it all day without filtering. If you insist on filtering water at lunch, just carry one bottle. It's something you can easily adjust on the trail. If you don't want to carry the hypodermic to back-flush, just buy another cartridge when it quits working. It's only $30.
    Why not use the same system with the Hydroblu Versa flow filter? It is is lighter and chaper than the Sawyer with the same flow rate. Threaded on both ends so no need for adaptors or back-flush syringe.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    This is a good point, but I think Slim Jims and Ding Dongs are health food so I guess I'm okay with it.

At any rate, chlorine dioxide is used in a lot of municipal water treatment systems so we're likely getting it already. Unless the water I collect looks seriously manky (stinky with lots of floaties) I use far fewer AM drops than recommended anyway, which is nearly always.
    Well you got me there ha ha . We ain’t got no city water. It seams to taste funny to me .Bin knows to eat a Ding Dong or two in them emergency situations that creeep up daily.

Not it a fan of filters for winter hiking . Frozen filter issues.

Merry Christmas to all Thom

[QUOTE=Furlough;2231964]
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    I have been using the Cnoc Vecto https://cnocoutdoors.com/products/vecto-water-container for my dirty water container. One question - have you tried to collect water with it from shallow very low flow water sources? Seems pretty easy for water sources as shown in the video, but as luck would have it I frequently am gathering water from shallow very low flow water sources.
    Furlough
    It’s my favorite dirty water container that I used on the AT. However, there were water sources that I still needed a “scoop” bottle; Just a thin drinking bottle with the bottom cut off. Still easier to scoop and pour into the wide mouth end rather than the screw cap opening.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

[QUOTE=gbolt;2232054]
    Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    It’s my favorite dirty water container that I used on the AT. However, there were water sources that I still needed a “scoop” bottle; Just a thin drinking bottle with the bottom cut off. Still easier to scoop and pour into the wide mouth end rather than the screw cap opening.
    I currently do something similar - I have a very old plastic cup that came with my Boy Scout Mess Kit and I use that to scoop with. But I do like the design of this bag, a lot easier to pour the scooped water into the wide end.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Journal Entries

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone had significant use of the Sawyer Micro? I'm thinking about using it this year on the trail. I have a cheap Chinese filter I used last year. Have no idea how many litters of water it will filter before it is dead, or how safe it is and would hate to find out the hard way. I plan to carry it with me as a spare. FWIW, I'm a two bottle and dirty water bladder guy myself. Got to get A new bladder before I leave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++