WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How to thru hike on a tight budget.

Good info here. It is a pretty convincing demo of how current thru hike cost estimations have been exaggerated.
    https://www.squantossecret.com/

Well, good luck following that guys advice. You might last a few weeks in the summer time using that cheap Walmart gear. Although I will admit, some of my hiking clothes does come from Walmart these days.

The 2-3 dollar a mile figure for a complete thru hike is a pretty well proven figure for the majority of hikers. Going over that is real easy and going under that is really, really hard. Under funded hikers typically don't make it through North Carolina.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Theres always someone that can do it on.a shoestring budget.

What matters is....can you?

Most people cannot. It requires discipline, sacrifices, and occasionally mooching and work.

Its a vacation. Dont go on vacation to be miserable. Wait till have $ to reasonably enjoy it imo .
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-03-2018 at 06:13.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure, but I am thinking this savings technique offered up by Squanto probably works.

“That's why I'm not a purist - I don't hike every mile anymore to avoid monotonously droning through the green tunnel. What's more if you've figured out that every mile of a thru-hike costs a dollar then you've also figured out that every mile not hiked is a dollar saved.”

It goes to show how big of a wimp I am, but looking at that walmart buggy full of Ozark Trail crap makes me cringe. Kinda makes me sound snoody too don't it?

Thru hikin and a budget to me shouldn't go together unless you are doing it with a safety net of actually having the money to spend if you need it.

IMO if you have to consider how much is going to be enough and if you have it? Ya need to reset that alarm clock to get up the next morning to go make more money so that you can save and have enough money to thru hike without having to scrimp and bum off others.

And if you wanna buy crap gear and have to replace it along the way with either more crap gear or learn(most don't learn) to buy quality USA stuff, that's your choice as a hiker, but it aint gunna be fun not for you, or that tight wallet ya got.

....Money driven threads are always hot topic for me

Disclaimer** This is in no way directed towards the OP or anyone specifically.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Not sure, but I am thinking this savings technique offered up by Squanto probably works.

“That's why I'm not a purist - I don't hike every mile anymore to avoid monotonously droning through the green tunnel. What's more if you've figured out that every mile of a thru-hike costs a dollar then you've also figured out that every mile not hiked is a dollar saved.”
    Yep, the best way to save money on a thru hike is to skip most of it. If you really want to save money, don't hike any of it!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Those who know me can attest to the fact that I've been on the trail since 2012 when I hiked into Standing Bear. I'm a lasher. I just spent six months lashing. I did the Smokies in December, ambled around, then left Springer NOBO March first. I don't carry "crap" gear as I am fortunate to have evolved my quiver with hard-earned high-end equipment. But, when I started in '12' I was on the 60 lbs of Walmart crap plan and I've learned that even "crap" works - it's just a question of for how long. It ain't a fashion show kids - fashion hurts like cotton kills. I never hitchhike. I will accept a ride. I never pay to stay at hostels or hotels. I will work-for-stay. I never buy shuttles. Never. Since I prefer off-season hiking in winter I don't get to enjoy much magic. Doing odd jobs has allowed me to keep my food bag full at Dollar Generals and I pretty much use the approach suggested in this blog. The funny thing about a self-fulfilling prophecy is it tends to come true because we make it so. Set a goal and expect or budget to spend $2-$3 a mile hiking and you will. Set a goal to spend $1-$0 a mile hiking and you will. Walk, eat, sleep. Simple and inexpensive. The folks trying to sell you the idea that long distance hiking has to be expensive are prolly trying to sell you more than ideas. They're trying to sell you things that fall outside of the hike requirements: walk, eat, sleep. It makes sense to me that if you skip 100 hostels at $20 each you save $2000 right there. I do. That's a buck a mile for all ya'll paying attention and not paying for actual crap you don't need like beds, baths, and a roof. I'm already carrying all that stuff around with me. I eat the $2000 I save and can fill a food bag for about $20 a week at the Dollar Store. Is it "crap" food? No. It's hiking food. If you want good food, a warm bed, and some boob tube, take a cruise man you picked the wrong hobby.

++ New Posts ++