WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shoe box question--looking for wider shoes

So, I tried on some Cascadia 12s. At my size (8) all the way to 9 1/2 they were really too tight through the toe box area.

I was wondering, besides Altras and Northface 110s, what other shoes have a wide toe box?

The guy fitting shoes isn't much help or I'd not be posting here.

Shoes that did not work:

• La Sportiva, including Wildcats.
    • Cascadias.
    • Salomon Ultras (I really liked them, but my feet hurt all day in them, every day).
    • Others whose brands I've forgotten.

Shoes that did work:
    • Altras -- but threw my knees out.
    • Northface 110s -- but they are a little heavy and they are a GTX shoe (goretex).
    • New Balance Leadville -- but the rock plate pinches when I've got a 25 lb load in a pack on my back (would be great if I never carried more than 5-10 lbs).

Thanks for any insight.

I need to get more scientific about this, but I'm just not finding a lot on-line (or, it is a little misleading -- e.g. yes, the Wildcat is wider than some of the other shoes in the line but it isn't "wide" if you know what I mean).

Keene, Hoka One One, Topo, some Merrels

Dont assume a wide toe box is necessarily equal to a wide shoe. Not all designs are equal. what I found out the hard way selecting improper fitting shoes so many times with a massively wide and odd shaped forefoot- splayed, 2/3 rd toes longer than the 'big toe" - is that they tend to be wider everywhere. this resulted in sloppy loose fits around my avg volume heel

Topo trail shoe are on sale at Sierra traiding post . I would size 1/2 size up

I have a pair of Oboz trail shoes that have a well designed toe box. Of course no one brand of shoe works for everyone, try on everything you can as thats really the only way to get footgear that fits you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Dont assume a wide toe box is necessarily equal to a wide shoe. Not all designs are equal. what I found out the hard way selecting improper fitting shoes so many times with a massively wide and odd shaped forefoot- splayed, 2/3 rd toes longer than the 'big toe" - is that they tend to be wider everywhere. this resulted in sloppy loose fits around my avg volume heel
    That is my experience with Hoka One One. Altras were a good fit but had trouble a month later. Hoka One One was a nice shoe but seems wider everywhere allowing my feet to slide.

Thank you!

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I'd second the Keen recommendation. I have a similar problem and have found that Keens have a wider toe-box without being too much wider at the heel.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Shoes that did work:

• Altras -- but threw my knees out.

What do you mean by that?
    https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-know-...ate-when-I-run

Offhand:
    Altra does principally make neutral shoes, but there are some support models if that's what you need. (provision and paradigm I believe are all that's left).

You also may want to consider a "road" shoe by any of these vendors for that reason if this is something you can benefit from. I like hiking in the road shoes around here, even on portions of the AT.
    On the more minimalist shoes I wear (the Merrell line) I actually found the trail glove to hurt my feet due to the aggressive lugs pounding on some of the flatter hardpack trails around here. The bare access and vapor glove shoes have the 'normal' heel and mid with the wider clownshoe box and I find the gecko like tread fairly grippy on all but wet leaves over clay. I really like it on open rock.

You listed several shoes with 12mm heels, Altra being the only zero drop model I believe. Switching in the store would be a shock to most from any heeled shoe to a zero or 4mm heel... that can affect your gait.

I don't wear solomans, but I'd guess that the leadville is likely a tuned up version of a less aggressive model. Point being if you liked it, there may be one just like it without the extra rockplate. Maybe even the shoe Ethesis mentioned.

I haven't tried the TOPO, but I did see them in person at the local store and they look like a nice blend of the Merrell glove style shoe and an Altra. Especially for those who need a smaller heel cup than some of the blockier Altra's offer.

Nike actually makes some decent trail runners, the Terra Kiger which is less cushioned and more nimble, and the Wildhorse which has more cushioning. They are pretty secure in the heel and midfoot and widen up enough for me in the toe box.
    It is what it is.

What do I mean when I say Altras threw my knees out?

I mean that wearing Altras damaged my knees enough that I had severe pain and ended up needing physical therapy. I think it is a combination of gait and my calves being tight. Took a fair amount of rehab before my knees were back to pain free. Mostly exercise and taping.

Climbing stairs really helped, which was interesting.
    Last edited by Elaikases; 08-03-2018 at 20:25.

Scarpa Neutrons might be worth a look.

https://www.rei.com/product/114264/s...ing-shoes-mens is what REI reports (no longer available).
    https://www.amazon.com/Scarpa-Mens-N...70_&dpSrc=srch

Amazon sells them, but the price is $170+ for my size.
    Ok, $60 for my size in a different color.

https://www.amazon.com/Scarpa-Mens-N...rch&th=1&psc=1

Not looking reliable.

My zero drop, wide toe box shoe progression over the past couple of season was -> Altra Lone Peak -> Topo Terradventure -> Hoka Stinson One One (not quite zero drop)

Going to zero drop was a bit of an adjustment but I am really happy that I made the switch. Loved the Altra's but they started separating after just one hike and my feet were just really sore after a day of hiking (thin soles - not a lot of support for a big guy like me.) Topos held up much better a but I still had foot soreness issues. If you don't need a lot of foot support then I highly recommend the TOPOs. The new HOKA Stinson One Ones are my current favorite - nice thick soles and good support with an almost zero drop and wide foot box. Night and day difference in how my feet felt after multiple days of hiking vs the Altras and Topos. Kind of $$$ for a running shoe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    What do I mean when I say Altras threw my knees out?

I mean that wearing Altras damaged my knees enough that I had severe pain and ended up needing physical therapy. I think it is a combination of gait and my calves being tight. Took a fair amount of rehab before my knees were back to pain free. Mostly exercise and taping.

Climbing stairs really helped, which was interesting.
    I presume you have never worn a zero drop trail runner, before trying Altra? There is a period of adjustment, when switching to a zero drop shoe. A brand to consider is Topo, Altra is my go to trail shoe with Topo as my second choice. The toe box width in both is comparable, and Topo is around a 2mm or 3mm drop, not as drastic as zero drop, in my opinion. Best of luck finding your fit and fix.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Just be aware that at least in the women's version, the new Saloman speedcross trail runner shoe in wide width is narrower than the Ultra in regular width (3.5 inches vs 4 inches in women's). Very disappointing. New Balance has a new wide offering for men and women, the Kaymin trail. I plan to try that shoe soon.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

++ New Posts ++