WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I didn't say I wanted water, I said I was thirsty!

Since I can only have beer every six or seven days, how am I supposed to keep hydrated? Does anyone use a hip flask with bourbon or another tipple in it?

Back when I was carrying a nip of JD this is what I used.

No more... doc advised to stop because I have GERD and bourbon aggravates it. I miss Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

No more... doc advised to stop because I have GERD and bourbon aggravates it. I miss Jack.
    Sounds like you need a different doc.

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Sounds like you need a different doc.
    lol, I need a different esophagus.

Whut cha need is to stop drinkin’ that rot guy shoe polish, try some of this....smooooooth!

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...eCtC1QQgjYI9gQ

Journal Entries

Sorry to hear of your problems. JD however is Tennessee whisky. Bourbon is made in Kentucky because there are special springs in both states. Also a lot has to due with how long it is aged. JD Old Number 7 uses charred Oak Barrels one time. They sell a majority of them to Scotch distillers. Jim Beam is a large distiller of bourbon. They use white oak barrels one time and sell them to other distillers out of the USA.
    Blackheart

I had started to get some bad reflux a few years back. I stopped drinking alcohol for a year and cut coffee back to one cup a day (from 2 pots). I lost a bunch of weight and the reflux stopped. No blood pressure meds needed any more, and not pre-diabetic anymore. I am glad I dodged the GERD bullet. I like that flask you shared! ten ounces is just right for a coule of weeks. Now if I can get used to mixing bourbon with crystal light! Maybe I'll switch to cheap vodka for the 5 months!

I use a 20 oz. smart water bottle for a week hike, an 8 oz. Gatorade bottle for shorter hikes.

I will chime in.... The last two trips I have gone on have been 2 night trips. I found these little 100ml bottles (twice the size of a mini bottle) that sell for 3 for $5. That's essentially $.84 per "shot." Jim Beam has their original as well as apple, vanilla, fire and probably more. For sipping, straight, it's hard to beat the apple or fire. The bottles are also easy to lay in the cold creek to chill. It worked great for me and one little bottle was more than enough after a long day on the trail.

Well Well Well finally a thread I know something about I have been on 58 trips to the AT (Just got back yesterday). And have carried a 16oz ginger ale bottle for Jack Daniels well....For as long as I can remember. It has been in every state except Vermont, NH and Maine, but don't worry...Only bc I haven't either!

I can make it last 1 night, or I can make it last 4 nights. Its always real fun when ya choose to go to town that night instead of in the morning and you get to kill the rest of the bottle, it sure made dragons tooth fun in my crocs

Here is how I said goodbye to CT...

IMG_7038.JPG
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 08-06-2018 at 16:21.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks for the tips, fellas!

Smartwater bottle for sure.

I've done the ginger ale or pop bottle too... but many people use that trick to carry heet (green bottle) so probably not the best bet.

Bit of sacrilege I know... but I really like bourbon and water.
    While a neat cup of sipping juice may be proper...an perhaps preferred in cool weather... I too miss having a proper pint of beer.

An ounce or two of a nice stiff Knob Creek or cask strength bourbon with 12 ounces of chilled water straight from Ma' Earth's teet ain't quite a bourbon barrel aged stout but it's still a fine drink.

100 proof or better obviously because I'm one o' them SUL snobs. While that used to be harder... seems that's the trend in the bourbon world anyway so that's handy.

In winter- a dried lemon slice, 1 bag of chamomile, 1 bag of orange spice and a pat of butter makes a nice pint sized hot toddy.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Seems to me that the drink should be paired with the location: Tennessee Whisky, Kentucky Bourbon, Scotch in the Highlands, and for now... beer in Vermont, but we're building a distillery around the corner from my office.

A nip before crawling into the tent every night was as happy and pulling off my boots. Kind of partial to this goofy little blended Scotch called Monkey Shoulder. It seemed fitting for the way my pack tended to chafe my shoulders at first!

Images

Love the name. So I looked it up, and think I'd love the Scotch, too. A blend of three single malts.....Hmm!

Images

Put supped up brandy mixture in this little pipe, heat it and enjoy

I carry bourbon, but I need a bigger flask. I had to hike faster and further because I ran out. lol

We usually do a small, collapsible flask type container with Knob Creek or Bulleit Rye.
    Have packed in a few cans of VT IPAs if the weather is hot and we are camping on a creek. Get to camp and soak those puppies while setting up.
    If in a pinch we've packed in juice boxes of wine lol. I sleep terrible out in the woods usually so a little nip helps out quite a bit.

++ New Posts ++