WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Cold mashed potatoes just doesn't sound appetizing...just like the idea of drinking the "dish cleaning" water when cleaning a pot.
    You mean Shugs' method is not appetizing. I recommend we all try it and report back. Add a small amount of maple syrup to the water and it will go down a lot easier. Helps keep us hydrated and no wasted water

Last edited by zelph; 08-06-2018 at 10:17.

... but it would still be useful information if someone has any first-hand experience with putting water directly in the bag.
    It would cost you $1.50 to try this at home prior to hitting the trail. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    You mean Shugs' method is not appetizing. I recommend we all try it and report back. Add a small amount of maple syrup to the water and it will go down a lot easier. Helps keep us hydrated and no wasted water

Just makes my stomach turn thinking about it...I think a lot of it has to do with my first job as a dishwasher at an old folks home...cleaning plates of cold congealed goo. Bleugh
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    It would cost you $1.50 to try this at home prior to hitting the trail. Let us know how it goes.
    I'm currently on an extremely tight budget. I know $1.50 isn't much but when you're moving overseas in less than 2 months and barely have $500 to get through that time...I can't spare the extra, hence the question here. I'm just going to go the FB route since I already have some...portion control and all.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    1.50 is actually a high estimate, she may get by for less, a 10 pack at WM is 8.80

Cold mashed potatoes just doesn't sound appetizing...just like the idea of drinking the "dish cleaning" water when cleaning a pot.
    The worst backpacking meal I ever fixed and tried to eat was instant mashed potatoes with brown sugar---on my last day of a 21 day trip and was running out of food. Couldn't eat it and nor could my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    1.50 is actually a high estimate, she may get by for less, a 10 pack at WM is 8.80
    I have a couple of packets to take, but I know they aren't expensive.

When I got back into backpacking and started trying to come up with meal plans, I watched a lot of YouTube videos and many had Instant Mashed potatoes in addition to Knorr sides, rice, ramen, etc. I made it a goal to try each style food (maybe not each flavor) at home for lunch or dinner to see if I could replicate trail preparation. Every option I tried worked out fine, even with added ingredients, meats,etc. EXCEPT instant potatoes. It may be POSSIBLE but I tried twice to pour water into the commercial packaging and it soaked up the top half and the bottom half never got water. it was really tough to get water to the bottom part of the package. I realized there would be no good way to do this trail side in the pouch.
    I am sure you could make it in a pot, or in a separate bag but the sheer volume in the package was almost impossible for me to make. YMMV but definitely try it before you get on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The worst backpacking meal I ever fixed and tried to eat was instant mashed potatoes with brown sugar---on my last day of a 21 day trip and was running out of food. Couldn't eat it and nor could my dog.
    Watched a guy tip out some mashed potatoes onto a stone for another guys dog. Dog didn't want them. The potato tipping guy didn't clean them up, the dog owner didn't clean them up. They were still there by the campfire when I woke the next morning. The mouse and other wildlife didn't want them either. They're probably still there.

It made me a bit nervous that one of the staples of my hiking diet wouldn't even be touched by a starving dog and various shelter vermin.

"It made me a bit nervous that one of the staples of my hiking diet wouldn't even be touched by a starving dog and various shelter vermin."

Now, now, let us keep a positive vibe when it comes to our hiking diet. The shelter vermins may not like it, but we do.

Pallets vary. Items mentioned frequently online that comprise 99% of all backpacker's diets that I refuse to touch:
    Knorr Sides.
    Foil Packed Tuna.
    I'm not optimistic, but I will sample the new Foil Packed Chicken.
    I eat Idahoan Potatoes occasionally at home. I haven't seen the need to include them in my food bag yet. Call them "On the fence."
    Mrs. Wayne picked up a Backpacker's Pantry Chicken Picatta at the Santa Fe REI last spring. STELLAR!!!!!!!!!!!! My first meal from the brand. I will try more.
    With the demise of MH single serving meals, I will be repackaging for myself. It's always something.
    To each his/her own!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My dog likes the Idahoan instant mashed potatoes. Chacun a son gout, I guess.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Question for post #30. Is that why I'm having a hard time finding the MH singles?

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Question for post #30. Is that why I'm having a hard time finding the MH singles?
    Walmart used to have the single serving MH meals. Loved the convenience. No more.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Yep! I wasn’t paying attention. They disappeared from Walmart last winter or early spring.
    Searched Mountain House web site. Gone!
    At that time, Good-To-Go was still offering single serving meals. I haven’t checked since April or May.
    We don’t all hike in a group. Or hike with someone who shares our tastes.
    Bummer.
    Wayne

You can always put your hot water in the FB first and then add the potatoes until you reach the desired consistency you want.You may or may not have some potatoes left over but if you do they will be dry and ready to hold over for another meal.If the meal is too dry you can add either hot or cold water to get the consistency you want.My challenge is always not having "dry spots" in the bag where the water did not mix well.

Something else to keep in mind when preparing instant potatoes, is the same thing to remember when preparing instant oatmeal or instant hot chocolate, etc. You only have to add water hot enough to satisfy your palate which is generally much cooler than boiling. Then it is easier to hold in your hand, it is less likely to damage or weaken your plastic bag or other container you use and it uses less fuel. Boiling water actually sucks for reconstituting mashed potatoes, oatmeal, or powdered drinks unless you like to eat/drink your food at such scalding temperatures.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++