WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Idahoan Mashed Potatoes

I know these are a great trail meal. I usually do FB meals with Ramen (plus seasoning but not the stuff in the packets). Do I need to transfer the potatoes to a freezer bag or does the bag they come in hold up well to having boiling water poured in? Trying to get ready for my next trip.

I may have to go the FB route anyway as I have a feeling that the 4oz (4 cups seriving) will be too much to eat in one sitting, but it would still be useful information if someone has any first-hand experience with putting water directly in the bag.

I made a couple of the 12" x 12" ovens out of a windshield heat reflector. Pour the potatoes into a freezer bag, add boiling water, zip the freezer bag and close the flap. Let it sit for xx minutes and they are done. I'm still playing with the amount of water. I add the amount on the directions and that seems to be too much. I think that when you do it on a stove top some of the water evaporates but the freezer bag captures all of it. Just needs fine tuning.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

So you recommend switching out packaging and NOT using the bag the potatoes come in for FB cooking?

I transferred to a freezer bag for portion control. I kind of vaguely remember trying the packaging bag and they had too much volume when water was added to a full package. I had to keep adding more water as I got deeper into the package. I'm fairly sure the bags handled the boiling water just fine however.

My memory sucks, but someone will be frothing to correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't want to spoil their fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I transferred to a freezer bag for portion control. I kind of vaguely remember trying the packaging bag and they had too much volume when water was added to a full package. I had to keep adding more water as I got deeper into the package. I'm fairly sure the bags handled the boiling water just fine however.

My memory sucks, but someone will be frothing to correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't want to spoil their fun.
    Good to know...more about volume than the bag holding up. That makes sense actually now I'm thinking about it...usually quite a lot in a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    So you recommend switching out packaging and NOT using the bag the potatoes come in for FB cooking?
    Haven't tried it in the original bag. No specific reason.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........

@DuneElliot What have you found works the best? For me, rice is always under cooked, noodles are pretty good and mashed potatoes work the best. What have you had luck with and are you using an oven pouch?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    @DuneElliot What have you found works the best? For me, rice is always under cooked, noodles are pretty good and mashed potatoes work the best. What have you had luck with and are you using an oven pouch?
    I usually mix ramen or minutes rice in with different seasonings in freezer bags and stuff them in my pot cozy. I have good luck with those. I like Idahoan potatoes...I think for portions and for volume control I'm going to transfer them to freezer bags.

I cold soak them (instant potatoes, couscous, and/or ramen) in a FB. I try to pour, mix and drink up as much as I can before they get thick enough to require a spoon. Then I'll add a bit more water, swish, and drink the rest. For me - that works well and is quick, easy, and simple. I used to add the cold water to the mix in the FB and hike on, to eat it later, but have gotten away from that. Just using the bag they come in might be even simpler though? Though you wouldn't be able to add water and hike on to eat later, if just using the bag they come in - I do not think they are resealable.

Why not just make a quick run to the store and buy a bag and try it. Bag is what? buck and a quarter or so? See what works best for you before you head out.

u.w.

You can cook them in the pouch they come in, it does work. But it is difficult due to size and shape, just not a lot of extra room for stirring or mistakes. I transfer to make it easier, especially since I like to add extra stuff in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    You can cook them in the pouch they come in, it does work. But it is difficult due to size and shape, just not a lot of extra room for stirring or mistakes. I transfer to make it easier, especially since I like to add extra stuff in mine.
    To be really clear, it does work to pour the post-boiling water in and stir. But it aint easy.

Thanks. That was what I was thinking after some of the responses.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    To be really clear, it does work to pour the post-boiling water in and stir. But it aint easy.
    I like mashed potatoes, but I can't eat a whole pouch in one meal. Also, I've always found they can absorb a lot more water than I expect. I don't think all that water will fit in the bag. And for sure, without a reclosable seal, mixing would be near impossible. For these two reason, plus the fact that I'm sharing them with my husband, I would never have a need to add water to the pouch.

Earlier someone mentioned letting them sit a bit to cook. That's not really necessary. They're ready to eat when they've absorbed the liquid - within several seconds. So you could use a freezer-bag, or a bowl. Doesn't matter.

As soon as you add hot water, instant mashed potatos instantly becomes potatos. It doesn't have to "cook". I simply heat a cup of water in a pot, then mix in the potato powder until I get the consistancy I want. Be careful though, a little too much and it doesn't all fully rehydrate, not quite enough it's watery.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I like mashed potatoes, but I can't eat a whole pouch in one meal. Also, I've always found they can absorb a lot more water than I expect. I don't think all that water will fit in the bag. And for sure, without a reclosable seal, mixing would be near impossible. For these two reason, plus the fact that I'm sharing them with my husband, I would never have a need to add water to the pouch.

Earlier someone mentioned letting them sit a bit to cook. That's not really necessary. They're ready to eat when they've absorbed the liquid - within several seconds. So you could use a freezer-bag, or a bowl. Doesn't matter.
    I eat these with just plain cold water added to the pouch. It takes a while but you can get enough water in to thoroughly get them all hydrated. I usually add water 3 times until I get them mixed to the consistency that I like. I cut up a packet of spam to add to them as well.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

I like the Idahoan butter mashed potatoes. I put them into freezer bags for portion control. I’ve mixed in some dried onions, spam or pepperoni slices. I carry pepper to add to them. You have to be careful with the water so you don’t end up with potato soup.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Cold mashed potatoes just doesn't sound appetizing...just like the idea of drinking the "dish cleaning" water when cleaning a pot.

Journal Entries

I hope no one making you to eat whole thing.

Put what want to eat n ziplock, add water. Eat rest another day.

With any dinner....you can always .cook only part. If you want more....cook more.
    But its hard to get rid of extra cooked food responsibly you dont want to eat.

Ive scattered it over long distances a few times. I prefer not to.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-05-2018 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I hope no one making you to eat whole thing.

Put what want to eat n ziplock, add water. Eat rest another day.

With any dinner....you can always .cook only part. If you want more....cook more.
    But its hard to get rid of extra cooked food responsibly you dont want to eat.

Ive scattered it over long distances a few times. I prefer not to.
    I'm going to test it out on this trip. The smaller bags are 2 cups so I can probably eat most of one of those...might be a little leftover.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Cold mashed potatoes just doesn't sound appetizing...just like the idea of drinking the "dish cleaning" water when cleaning a pot.
    I thought the same but by cutting up the spam into small chunks, I get a bit a spam with each bite and they make the cold potatoes quite palatable.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++