WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Please dispel (or, if justified, reinforce) my fears re: tick bites while asleep

So I've been thinking about saving weight on colder nights by leaving my bug net at home and just sleeping on a ground sheet under my pyramid. But I know that ticks are active in colder temps than, say, mosquitoes. I always permethrin my sleeping layer, and I know that people sleep on ground sheets all the time, but I still worry that some tick will climb up on my hand or neck. Has that ever happened to any of you? Am I being paranoid? Any thoughts appreciated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Mike View Post
    So I've been thinking about saving weight on colder nights by leaving my bug net at home and just sleeping on a ground sheet under my pyramid. But I know that ticks are active in colder temps than, say, mosquitoes. I always permethrin my sleeping layer, and I know that people sleep on ground sheets all the time, but I still worry that some tick will climb up on my hand or neck. Has that ever happened to any of you? Am I being paranoid? Any thoughts appreciated.
    I think you should treat this sleeping option like any other time while in the outdoors. Do it and check yourself in the am. Wear light colored clothing. No fear. Permethrin is magic. This is just my opinion. Take or leave.

Journal Entries

So, you could sleep in a 6 oz bivy and not worry

Or

You can toss and turn and flip on light every time a hair moves and feels like something might be on you.

Have you ever had one on ya?
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Bugs smell permethrin and are repelled by it.
    I think you'll be fine.

Spray a fine mist of permethrin on your sleeping bag, backpack, pillow, etc.

Ticks usually find us from the tips of grasses and bushes when we walk by, so you're much more likely to get these during the day when walking or sitting, as long as you position your groundcloth away from bushes and grass. If you use permethrin be sure to follow the instructions for pretreating surfaces, it isn't used like DEET or picardin (my favorite).

My first trip to Harriman state park since the 80’s. I slept in an open tarp. All of us had ticks on us in the morning. Not worth risking Lyme to save ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's so easy to carry net material that it makes sense not to take the risk. Unless you're on bare ground there will always be bushes and/or grass around. They are amazingly sensitive to mammals through detection of co2 and other chemicals. And as other posts in this forum have noted, they are increasing in number and territory every year.

So glad I live in the west...we really only have to worry about ticks for about 2 months a year

I was diagnosed with Lyme this past October. My suggestion would be to take every reasonable precaution that you can. With that approach in mind... don't let fear ruin your time on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    So, you could sleep in a 6 oz bivy and not worry

Or

You can toss and turn and flip on light every time a hair moves and feels like something might be on you.
    Oh I do that anyway even in a tent. Thanks everyone for the input!

++ New Posts ++