WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Preparing for double above knee amp, get prothesis and thru-hike the AT in 2020 HELP

I need anyone one that is a single or double amp thru hiker to give advice about hiking the trail with prothesis. I have a progressive disease called CRPS. It is a weird disease but painful. I want to get a double amp so I can hike the AT in 2020. I am not a stranger to the woods but I have no clue what to expect with the added difficulty. I need some mentors.

Mike McElrath

Images

Bigmike,

Welcome to White Blaze! It's always a huge adjustment to live life with a progressive disease. I am sorry to hear that is in the cards for you.

The person you might want to speak with, goes by the trail name "Bionic Woman." She is an AT thru-hiker who hiked on a prosthetic leg. Her story is different in that her amputation was the result of a fall while canyoneering. I have no doubt she can help you down the path toward getting the information you seek. Here is her website: https://www.nikirellon.com/. She does also have a Facebook page (if you do that sort of thing) under the name "Niki Rellon."

I wish you all the best in your journey!

The ATC has lists of 2000-milers who are happy to correspond with people planning long hikes on the AT. One of the lists is titled "Disabilities and Injuries." Maybe you could request that list of contacts and find a mentor or get pointed in the right direction. The correspondence lists are here: https://www.appalachiantrail.org/hom...-mental-advice.

Journal Entries

BigMike, Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I would think your rehab people could offer you the best advice of preventing sores where the prosthetic meets your leg. Look at the bright side, you won't have to worry about blister on your feet. I say that with all the love in my heart as I will be praying for your quick recovering.
    Blackheart

++ New Posts ++