WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    It is hard to make it all the way to Maine or Springer without breaking some.

Did you know, for example that you would be violating Federal regulations if you fail to hang your food 10” in the air and 4” from a tree in the Whites, in most any place that does not have a bear box?

Attachment 43434 Attachment 43435

And how many conciencious thru hikers violate the letter of camping regulations at least once during their hikes — even if they respect the spirit of them. Then there are violations of important LNT “rules” that while not in the Federal register, have a significant impact on the Trail.

Understanding that is not promoting bad behavior, it recognizing reality.

Understanding That BSP goes ape**** over some things — don’t you love the timing of their Facebook post about two year olds, which they just clarified had nothing to do ith th Crawford’s — is important for people to know.

The ATC thinks this is important enough that they pay to have a representative in Monson to do just that.

So yea, it is important to know which rules are taken seriously — and which aren’t.
    Inadvertently breaking a rule is one thing, deliberately doing so is quite another. Feel free to do whatever you want on your own property.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Inadvertently breaking a rule is one thing, deliberately doing so is quite another. Feel free to do whatever you want on your own property.
    Well, anyone who clicks on the thumbnails I posted will be deliberately breaking the rules in the Whites if they fail to hang their food 10 feet high and 4 feet from a tree (or use a near box).

So click at your own peril.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I’ll be sure to tell a police officer that next time I inadvertently speed - I’m sure he’ll let me off. Just because I don’t condone breaking rules doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s a dumb rule.

Journal Entries

If you want to bend or break rules

Rule #1

Is do not draw attention to yourself
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-11-2018 at 07:51.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    The kid should not have been aloud to run. The bones and ligaments and tendons, muscles etc are not strong enough to support this much running and pounding. All the little bones in the feat haven't grown etc. It's like lifting weights and weight training you have to wait until early teens. I just think there could be damage done and a 6 year old doesn't know when to stop when bad pain comes they just keep going.

The kid should not have been allowed to run.( I meant)

When I first watched the Crawford video on the AT man was I impressed by them. But then I dug in more on some of their other stuff and the parents, especially the Dad, began to rub me the wrong way. Sometimes you have to push your kids even when it makes them uncomfortable. But something doesn't sit right with me on how they go about it.
    It is what it is.

Come on kid your halfway there just run another 13 miles and I'll buy you some Pringles. Ok daddy I'll be a good boy.

Yep it is what it is.

Is the Dad's latest "They're being mean to us" GoFundMe page up yet?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Is the Dad's latest "They're being mean to us" GoFundMe page up yet?
    That's very generous of you. I'm sure they'll appreciate anything you can give

It's one thing to encourage kid to push a bit outside of their comfort zone. But virtually dragging a 6 year old through an 8+ hour effort that would be a brisk walk for a grown adult? No great surprise that CPS stopped by the house.

That boy will need much counseling....child abuse.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It's one thing to encourage kid to push a bit outside of their comfort zone. But virtually dragging a 6 year old through an 8+ hour effort that would be a brisk walk for a grown adult? No great surprise that CPS stopped by the house.
    I agree that they're permanently altering the kid's physical development.

Proof? Olympic level gymnasts.

wait - this boy is only 6 years old?
    That is even more disturbing.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++