WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default umbrella on the AT

In general what is everones thoughts on using an umbrella on the AT like you see people on the PCT using.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

From what I've heard, people who use an umbrella on the PCT is for the desert section to create some shade.
    The AT is more of a "green tunnel" and therefore an umbrella isn't needed to create shade.

On the flip side, when I go on weekend camping trips in the GSMNP and the weather forecast includes a good chance of rain, I take along an 8oz purse umbrella I picked up at Walmart for $3 (but I have not been able to locate any replacements lately). At least in GSMNP, when I encounter rain, it's usually not associated with strong winds (because if harsh storms are in the forecast, I simply don't go). So when it starts to rain at a rate where I'm getting wetter from rain faster than I get wet from sweet from hiking, I'll pull out the umbrella. If I limit myself to one hiking pole, I can use the other hand to hold the umbrella just right that it keeps my head, torso, and most of my pack dry.

Journal Entries

What he said ^^

We took umbrellas to the White Mountains because it was July and we would be above treeline. As it turned out there was only one day when they were actually helpful. Either it was too windy to use them, or it was overcast and didn't need them, or the trail wasn't cleared wide enough to use them. But they were very helpful on the long climb SOBO up Lafayette. Hot sun, light breeze, no shade. Several people commented that they wished they had umbrellas.

I'm very fair-skinned and prone to sunburn. I should be using some sort of sun protection regularly. I dislike sunscreen lotions mixing with my sweat and hate wearing long sleeves if it's not cold. An umbrella is a relatively cool way to protect from sun. And rain.

I used my umbrella for the first time in Grayson last weekend...,.mixed emotions. The rain came pouring down and I pulled out the umbrella. My shirt and face 100% dry after walking for 2 hours in a downpour. My shorts were about 80% dry. the umbrella did not cover my whole pack, and I had to carry it. The trail in some areas was too small to use it, and passing people was at times an issue.

On Sunday I pulled it out at rodo gap for some sun shade it was quite pleasant, could def feel a reduced temp under the chrome shade.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

I've gotten pretty used to carrying and often using my umbrella on long distance hikes at least out west, heading out for a big section of the CO trail tomorrow, will be carrying ours then. On the AT though, it's still a maybe.... probably though. It really is kinda nice to keep that deluge off your head at the cost of a measly 8 ounces. I know, I know, in the heavy trees, it's a pain, or in a stout winds, basically unusable right then, but overall, it's really nice to have. Kinda repeating what Hookoo said.

Yeah, I'm carrying only one hiking pole, at least when the umbrella is out.

Depends on your hiking style, location and needs. I sweat a lot, I have glasses. Ventilation is thus more important to me, than it may be for someone else. The umbrella was perfect for me in the vast majority of situations on the southern AT. One day with sideways rain on a ridgeline it wasn't great, otherwise wonderful.

For my dayhikes in NH, with rain forecast. Mostly great below ridgelines, mostly too windy above. There are more stupid narrow trails, in some places, where I have to pay a lot more attention to who else is around me, so I'm not that jerk blocking the trail.

Leonidas

There is a guy on the AT currently who is vlogging and has carried an umbrella the entire trip. He seems to really like it and he uses it in conjunction with his tarp for additional setup options.

Evan's Backpacking Videos if you are interested.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Mixed reviews. I would need a way to attach it to the pack. No way could I hike for hours holding an umbrella in my hand. I need both free for poles.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I use Nite-Ize Gear Ties to attach my umbrella to my pack strap for hands free carrying. They're like a breadbag twist-tie on steroids.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Mixed reviews. I would need a way to attach it to the pack. No way could I hike for hours holding an umbrella in my hand. I need both free for poles.
    It can be done:
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/94017/
    http://ladyonarock.com/2015/04/19/ha...with-umbrella/
    https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-atta...to-a-backpack/

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I've used a Swing Lite Flex "Chrome-dome" for years. I've found it extremely useful on the AT and prefer it to other rain gear. It fits in the attachment points on the left packstrap of my ULA Circuit to hold on to it when I'm hiking, so I have my hands free for both poles. Never really had any issues with getting wet using it, and I've had it out in an actual hurricane. I do carry an ultralight pack cover as well, both to make sure nothing gets to it around the umbrella and to cover it in camp if needed, but both together weigh in at a bit over 9.5 oz, so it's pretty good functionality for the weight. I particularly like it in camp, where it's a lot easier to get in and out of the hammock with it than if I was having to strip off a poncho or rain jacket every time. It's rarely used as a sun shelter (even though it has the reflective outer coating), but there are times on open ridgelines and other treeless or sparsely covered trail where that's been useful too.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

I am currently using an umbrella on my AT flip-flip, great piece of gear. Pouring rain and my upper body is dry and not getting too hot, running shorts are mostly dry. Used it on my PCT and CDT thru hikes.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I always carry one. The trick when in the woods is to hold it loosely so it can rotate around trees rather than snag. There's no perfect piece of rain gear, but an umbrella is a very useful tool.

Nubrella.jpg

Makes sense to me!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

thanks everyone for there replies .
    some of the answers is exactly what i was expecting.

Journal Entries

Only drawback to.an umbrella is the weight

There are a lot of models, do you use the 6 inch one for this?
    thanks

Sorry, referring to the Nite Ize ties.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    There are a lot of models, do you use the 6 inch one for this?
    thanks
    I use a pair that are about 3" long.....(sorry, I'm not at home to measure them.).
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Khike

Ok, I'll jump in, hello folks, My buddy used an umbrella one year, on the AT in NC. Always a lot of rainy days. He liked it. I went and bought a Euroshirm trekking umbrella. Lightwgt, can't remember how much, big and came with a carrier system for your back pack straps, in front. It worked ok. As said before, lots of the AT is tunnels through trees and stuff. It is a very nice umbrella, I keep it in my car now. It is a silver one with UV protection of 50. I am a poncho advocate. Except for that one year, with the umbrella, I used my poncho, from Campmor. I also like to use sticks, hiking poles and you can't have both poles and umbrella. The umbrella requires constant tending. Check out the carrier system on their website, Euroshirm.com. You might like it. But, to each his own, for sure. Kevin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++