WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

We have a very nice Gulf front park, Ft De Soto County park here in Florida. No alcohol allowed. The park also has a FB page where you can check in and post pictures. So, some of the young party crowd "checked in " on the park FB page and posted a picture of their beer can pyramid at their campsite. Unfortunately for the party crowd, the FB site was monitored and LE was called to eject offenders and issue citations. You can't fix stupid. No alcohol means no alcohol.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

I carry a small bottle of fireball with me while hiking. Sometimes after a long day or before a long climb I take a swig then carry on. Never caused any problem.
    It ain't the booze, it is the drinker that causes the problem.

When I first hiked the AT in GA/NC, all the towns were in dry counties. Couldn't buy a beer until I got to Virginia. NC was like a 3d world nation, the trail was a wreck. How things have changed.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    When I first hiked the AT in GA/NC, all the towns were in dry counties. Couldn't buy a beer until I got to Virginia. NC was like a 3d world nation, the trail was a wreck. How things have changed.
    I came into Hot Springs the day Elvis died. One fellow who was staying with us at the Jesuit hostel was so bummed out about Elvis. As I remember it, he went into town to the state store and bought a bottle to drown his sorrow. I hiked from Springer to Roan Mt that year and was not able to buy a beer.
    More walking, less talking.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Well this is fun for me. Long story short, I went to college with a guy who is now an engineer for Jack Daniels. When I told him last month after catching up that I had carried Jack Daniels for 1800+ on the AT along with just about every backpacking trip I had ever been on since College(Couldn't afford Jack in college, had to go with Even Williams back then) He said "well that's outstanding, and deserves a sponsorship, anytime you need a fill up, come by the plant and we will give ya a case" talk about blown away! Thus, I have ordered my old no 7 patch to advertise my new sponsorship.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I came into Hot Springs the day Elvis died. One fellow who was staying with us at the Jesuit hostel was so bummed out about Elvis. As I remember it, he went into town to the state store and bought a bottle to drown his sorrow. I hiked from Springer to Roan Mt that year and was not able to buy a beer.

I was on the trail when Tom Petty died, I crossed into NY sobo as I read of his passing at the picnic table that night

I am an immense craft beer enthusiast. However, I enjoy not drinking on the trail (I save the drinking for town).
    It makes the occasional beer gifted by a trail angel beer taste even more delicious.

In my experience it is the overnight campers that cause 95% of the issues. It sucks, but thruhikers need to abided by the park rules (or at the very least be very discreet about it).
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++