WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Good article about the new BSP director

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/08/...focus-on-wild/

Sure looks like he is not planning to stir things up which is great news for people like me who want to park to stay a wilderness, probably not good news for those who think it needs to go modern and open up the gates to unlimited AT access.

Interesting he wants to improve the Togue Pond gate. I remember the original setup when I first went up there in the early seventies and the current gate set up is major improvement. The original gate was at top of rise in front of a clearing that had a great view of the mountain. When the new gate was put in, they removed the old gatehouse and cleared out this area to make it a good spot to get a view of the mountain without a gatehouse in the way. If I remember correctly the park didn't always own all the land near south entrance so I think they had to fit in what they could.

I expect it will take a few years before he makes his mark. Given his age he will probably be there for quite a few years like the first two park directors.

I hope he does better than the guy they just got rid of.

Good write up on the new BSP Director. There are a lot of challenges to keeping BSP wild, especially from those who want wifi or other conveniences in the Park. Fortunately Percival Baxter made the land use trust crystal clear in how it functions, wilderness over people being the core element. A unique place to be sure and worthy of upholding trust standards.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    I hope he does better than the guy they just got rid of.
    Jensen did a fine job, and retired at after 30 years of service.
    I hope Eben does as well as Jensen did.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

It's funny that not everyone seems to think so! Like for example the ATC, ALDHA, and scads of thru-hikers the world over. They've done such a great job there is a 2019 KATAHDIN SUMMIT & BSP BOYCOTT - a plan that is gaining traction in certain circles that allow open, honest, inclusive discourse and do not posses an elderly fear of change. What sense does it make to preserve wilderness if not everyone can enjoy it? What sense does it make to invite a discussion and then silence those that dissent? The arbitrary and unscientific assignment of quotas on thru-hikers by BSP is just the most recent example of draconian nonsense perpetrated against A.T. hikers there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockit Mann View Post
    It's funny that not everyone seems to think so! Like for example the ATC, ALDHA, and scads of thru-hikers the world over. They've done such a great job there is a 2019 KATAHDIN SUMMIT & BSP BOYCOTT - a plan that is gaining traction in certain circles that allow open, honest, inclusive discourse and do not posses an elderly fear of change. What sense does it make to preserve wilderness if not everyone can enjoy it? What sense does it make to invite a discussion and then silence those that dissent? The arbitrary and unscientific assignment of quotas on thru-hikers by BSP is just the most recent example of draconian nonsense perpetrated against A.T. hikers there.
    The parks charter is very clear on how the park is managed.
    The parks charter is preserve the wilderness, not to let everyone enjoy it.
    If you don't like it, tough cookies. You have absolutely no say in the matter. It's fascinating that those critical of the way the park is run don't even live in Maine.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you don't like it, tough cookies. You have absolutely no say in the matter. It's fascinating that those critical of the way the park is run don't even live in Maine.
    Maine - still in America and not, unlike Texas, a republic unto itself. Your "tough cookies" totalitarianism tickles me btw. Lemme blind you with some actual science: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...h-and-analysis

They took all the trees
    And put them in a tree museum
    And they charged all the people
    A dollar and a half to see 'em

welp its true - every village has one

Images

Maine - still in America and not, unlike Texas, a republic unto itself. Your "tough cookies" totalitarianism tickles me btw. Lemme blind you with some actual science: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...h-and-analysis
    Not blinding at all and no actual "science" shared. "In our view this policy is not based on best practices, sufficient research or analysis of the current impact of A.T. hikers on park resources and the hiking experience. While we share the Park’s desire to protect the fragile alpine ecosystems on Katahdin, the ATC believes in a science-based, adaptive management approach to increased use at popular sites on the A.T."

I am an ATC member, and a PATC member and trail maintainer. So what I think is most relevant to the article you cite is "
    We will continue to work with BSP to provide an opportunity for long-distance A.T. hikers to climb Katahdin and complete their incredible journeys." Because, that is what is truly essential - continued dialogue along the entire length of the trail with Federal, State and local entities who have some impact on the trail use and the management of the trail. And I suppose to me at least, here in the US there is a real need to protect our diminishing wilderness areas. Hopefully the ATC and the BSP folks can work together to create a set of criteria that meets the constricts of the BSP trust and the desire to have Katahdin as an AT terminus. A lot of this depends on hikers themselves showing and giving respect for the gem that is the AT.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

BSP BOYCOTT - a plan that is gaining traction in certain circles
    One shuttle driver is a "circle"?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

The ATC is the party that didnt do any research and analysis, BSP published their research and analysis several years ago on AT hiker impact.

. . .They've done such a great job there is a 2019 KATAHDIN SUMMIT & BSP BOYCOTT - a plan that is gaining traction. . .
    I love this idea. I think we should promote it to the fullest. I would think BSP would also be interested in promoting it. What a great way to voluntarily reduce the human impact on the park and keep it wildish!!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Enjoying your slavery and binary thinking? Here is my set of alternate suggestions:

1) Don't let someone so easily convince you of something because they have a "charter". Government employees are calling the shots, not Mr. Baxter.
    2) Even those who love the wilderness often put people first in this world.
    3) Yes, they have a say. Your attempts to make them believe they cannot speak will backfire.
    4) Logical thinking does indeed happen across state lines. Expect it to continue.

And if you don't like that (I suspect you won't) then I'm sure you won't be taking your own advice and will instead have a say.

A question: was there anything in the deed of trust that dictated the land should be open to visitors?

I'm not understanding why the new director feels he must somehow balance increased demands with keeping the park ‘forever wild’ and ‘in a natural, wild state,’. The answer is not complex. If the land does not belong to "the people" and if there is not a directive to accommodate visitors....you don't. Leave it ‘forever wild’ and ‘in a natural, wild state,’.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    A question: was there anything in the deed of trust that dictated the land should be open to visitors?

I'm not understanding why the new director feels he must somehow balance increased demands with keeping the park ‘forever wild’ and ‘in a natural, wild state,’. The answer is not complex. If the land does not belong to "the people" and if there is not a directive to accommodate visitors....you don't. Leave it ‘forever wild’ and ‘in a natural, wild state,’.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=baxter+state+part+deeds+of+trust

Images

It's funny that not everyone seems to think so! Like for example the ATC, ALDHA, and scads of thru-hikers the world over. They've done such a great job there is a 2019 KATAHDIN SUMMIT & BSP BOYCOTT -
    it never stops being funny when people think that BSP (or the whites, or SNP or GSMNP or any number of other places along the trail) needs the AT more than the AT needs it.

if there were ever a successful boycott odds are no one would notice. the few who did would likely throw a party to celebrate it.

Boycott Baxter!! It's a win-win!

Most of the complaints usually are folks from outside the region who are the least likely to visit the park.Therefore the boycott is going to have little impact.

The reality are most Nobo thru hikers are coming through during the most popular time of the season, if they dont grab a campsite someone else will. Thus no real impact from a boycott. I expect BSP would gladly shut down the Birches and Abol Gate. I expect there would still be a steady stream of thru hikers making reservations and heading up to the summit anyhow. What it really does is force more people to plan in advance which is what the park was asking for to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    it never stops being funny when people think that BSP (or the whites, or SNP or GSMNP or any number of other places along the trail) needs the AT more than the AT needs it.

if there were ever a successful boycott odds are no one would notice. the few who did would likely throw a party to celebrate it.
    I'm thinking of throwing a party to encourage people to boycott Baxter. Hard to keep an area forever wild when one has to bow to the wishes of people from away who have no idea the reason the park exists.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++