WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Winter climbing permits are more applicable in December and on, and are in fact not that difficult to get anyway. You're in a fiesty mood today....
    Just the facts, Ma’am.
    I’ve had a stabbing pain in my hip since before I drove all over Colorado and New Mexico. Finally saw my doctor today and had x-rays done. Waiting for a plan.
    I’ll go back in my cave now.
    Wayne

But seriously Rob.
    Read my post again. No dates mentioned.
    Do you think that the BSP Rangers would grant a Winter Permit on the grounds that I gave?
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    But seriously Rob.
    Read my post again. No dates mentioned.
    Do you think that the BSP Rangers would grant a Winter Permit on the grounds that I gave?
    Wayne
    Of course not, but all you DO need to do is to fill out that application and pretend to have the experience if your desperate and it is after December 1. It's not like they will test you or anything. All this comes from a pal of mine who grew up in Millinocket and has climbed K dozens of times, all year 'round. I'm NOT saying one should do this (lie on the application), and in fact, almost assuredly one would not have to. I wonder if any of our BSP folks on here have any idea how often in October Katahdin is "closed" more than a day or two at a time? Or even in November?

This is just a pet peave of mine, that silly notion that AT thru hikers have to get to Katahdin by early October, or they are screwed. It gets perpetuated on here over and over and over and over and over and over and over... blah blah blah....

But it IS open all year, just closed some days. Nothing magic about early October except that's when the some-days-it's-closed season typically begins.
    Not quite. The park is closed from March 1st until May 15th for mud season. Some trails may not open until June depending on conditions.

Showing up past Oct 15th is really pushing your luck in terms of weather and once into November you might as well just go home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Of course not, but all you DO need to do is to fill out that application and pretend to have the experience if your desperate and it is after December 1. It's not like they will test you or anything. All this comes from a pal of mine who grew up in Millinocket and has climbed K dozens of times, all year 'round. I'm NOT saying one should do this (lie on the application), and in fact, almost assuredly one would not have to. I wonder if any of our BSP folks on here have any idea how often in October Katahdin is "closed" more than a day or two at a time? Or even in November?

This is just a pet peave of mine, that silly notion that AT thru hikers have to get to Katahdin by early October, or they are screwed. It gets perpetuated on here over and over and over and over and over and over and over... blah blah blah....
    Thank you so much! Crushing internet myths and legends is a nobel pursuit!
    Another one down. Many more to go!
    At least NPS Rangers inspect gear if you want to go into the backcountry in the off seasons.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

You won't necessarily notice all the people when you are hiking in synch with them.

You notice them when you are going the other way, and pass them all, one after another, for hours. One day going southbound in VA in May I think we counted about 80, but that was exceptional, usually 30-60. This was in 2014.

This went off topic pretty fast!

I started April 4th. Lots of people but the trail never felt truly crowded.

Stay ahead of the trail days bubble and your fine.

It was insanely hot and humid in northern PA for me.

I dont think I'll thru hike the AT again. Its extremely taxing terrain on the body. If I did, I would go sobo. But that's after going traditionally nobo first.

Dont underestimate the AT. Many capable hikers quit cause the hiking was simply too hard on their body.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I started April 14 and finished October 7. The first night, Stover Creek Shelter was overflowing. I camped by myself about a mile further.

I know I was a bit late for the larger bubbles of March and early April, but there were still dozens of hikers around me according to the shelter logs. It only occasionally felt crowded though, and that was at the expected popular spots. Stealth camping and choosing to hike alone worked to give me the solitude I wanted. There were many days where I didn't see another hiker. The hike is what you make of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++