WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Peabody man hikes Appalachian Trail over 226 day hikes - The Salem News

The Salem News

Peabody man hikes Appalachian Trail over 226 day hikes
    The Salem News
    Courtesy photoMarguerite Truesdale, left, joined her husband, Paul Truesdale, while he hiked his last mile to complete the Appalachian Trail. Peabody man hikes Appalachian Trail over 226 day hikes. Courtesy photoPaul Truesdale of Peabody hiked the ...

More...

Images

Just read this story in my local paper, what an effort that must have been, day hiking the AT. The man is a school bus driver in my town. Congratulations to him, but I would have been happier to spend a few nights in the woods
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Images

No comments on this posted article I think because what the headline does not make clear - he day-hiked the whole thing. He never spent a night in the woods! Apparently an AT first.

I suppose the fact that he is the only one known to do this also means he has the FKT in this category at 40 years.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    No comments on this posted article I think because what the headline does not make clear - he day-hiked the whole thing. He never spent a night in the woods! Apparently an AT first.
    I suppose the fact that he is the only one known to do this also means he has the FKT in this category at 40 years.
    Based on the following quote from the article, he is not the first to do this:

“Truesdale claims he's the first person to ever complete the trail through day trips alone. Laurie Potteiger, information services manager for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, said a handful of people have completed the trail through day trips, and doing so is a significant feat.

"It is certainly a rare accomplishment," Potteiger said. "Most years out of 1,000 people who complete the trail, there might be one who does what he did. It's quite unique and notable. It's a mammoth logistical challenge because it entails a huge amount of driving."”

Images

Thanks for that clarification...

Still, a tough way to hike the AT.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Never spending a night in the woods. What a concept. Wonder how he did the GSMNP? That's a little tough to do as day hikes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We tend to notice and comment a lot about FKT completions (successfully beating the record or not), but not completions like this. A few thousand miles in day hikes inside of a calendar year. By any measure, still a notable feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    We tend to notice and comment a lot about FKT completions (successfully beating the record or not), but not completions like this. A few thousand miles in day hikes inside of a calendar year. By any measure, still a notable feat.
    He did it over a 40 year period, not in a calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    You are right - that is even more imoressive.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Day hiking the AT has been done in a calendar year, which was my comparison with FTK attention.

++ New Posts ++