WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is NOBO Hike with dog for 2019 a thing?

I’m in a Facebook AT group, and the post was asking who was hiking with their dog. Out of 44 comments, six were starting at Amicalola with their pooch.
    While I love dogs, I can imagine the logistics of hiking with a dog. Plus, aren’t there sections of the trail where dogs aren’t allowed? And, are all motels and hostels dog welcoming? And you have to carry dog food which adds more weight...or I guessing owners will have the dogs carry their own food.

I just hope...these owners are diligent about burying their dogs crap.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

*can’t imagine
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Lots of people start a thru hike with their dog. Most end up going home with their dog before too long. Almost no one finishes a thru hike with their dog. But try convincing them of that before they start. Basically, they are clueless as to what they are getting into.

Dogs aren't allowed in the Smokies or Baxter so arrangements have to be made to deal with that. Dogs are also required to be on a leash at all times in places like the Shenandoah NP, but do any obey that rule? Nope.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This topic has been batted around for eons; read the posts in the Dogs on the AT sub-forum. I take my dog for long walks almost every day, but I'd never take her backpacking.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Service dogs are welcome everywhere because their training includes training of their partner/handler. That includes dogs whose partners bear invisible wounds.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Agreed. Logistics aside; most dogs are either sent home at some point, or the owner and the dog leave the trail. There are exceptions, which are usually very hardy dogs who have been trained to hike over the years with their owner, have spent a good bit of time in the woods, and are prepared to go on a VERY long walk. However, I have mostly encountered hikers with dogs that were never exposed to the kind of grind that they face on the trail. Most don't seem to enjoy carrying saddle bags either. Taking walks in the local park or state park for a few hours on the weekends isn't sufficient training. Many hikers with or without dogs don't understand that the AT isn't a walk in the park on a footpath. Lots of long distance hikers experience foot injuries wearing shoes or boots; and usually what sends dogs home is damage to their paws.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Service dogs are welcome everywhere because their training includes training of their partner/handler. That includes dogs whose partners bear invisible wounds.
    Yes, many service dogs help with unseen disabilities, such as seizure disorders. Sadly, many people declare their untrained pet to be a service dog to exploit this rule, bringing discredit on those who use actual service dogs.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

It does not appear that you are actually hiking with a dog and attempting to solicit advice on how to better hike the trail with a dog. If you are actually needing that advice, post your queries into the Dogs on the AT subforum.

The answer to your first question is Yes, people do start thruhikes with their dogs and no not necessarily a thing it happens every year.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++