WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3 Day 2 Nite Suggestions

Hey peeps I posted in a different thread about a 3 day 2 nite in Feb but have changed our plans. ANy suggestions for a 2 nite 3 day loop or suggestions on a through and shuttle options? Any help is appreciated thanks!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You'll need to provide a bit more information, such as desired MPD and the types of sights you would like to see... because there are dozens of 2 night trips that can be done in GSMNP depending upon how far you can go each day and if you're willing to pay for a shuttle or not.

Journal Entries

If still talking feb.? What changed?

U still say 3 day 2 night.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-22-2018 at 14:05.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

But to go ahead and get things kicked off... I'll start with a couple of related examples:

There are several loops that you can take that include a visit to Gregory Bald.
    1. If you want relatively small MPD (especially for going up hill) and need a good hike with a late start from the Cades Cove area (closed to vehicle traffic on Wed & Sat until 10am).
    Park at the trailhead to Gregory Ridge (and of a gravel road heading towards Parsons Branch road in the back corner of Cades Cove).
    Hike to Campsite #12 (only about 2 miles from the trail head).
    Next day, continue up Gregory Ridge to Gregory Bald. It's about 5 miles to Campsite #13.
    Last day, rather than back-tracking to your car, continue on Gregory Bald trail to Parson's Branch road. The road is currently closed to vehicle traffic but open to hikers and such. It's about 4 miles to Parson's Branch Road, then 3 miles down the road back to your car.

2. Park at the Twenty Mile Ranger Station. Hike to campsite #92 for the 1st night, then the big climb to Gregory Bald and #13 the second night. Complete the look using Wolf Ridge.

3. For more of a challenge PLUS the opportunity to visit one of the few remaining fire towers still standing in the park, park at Twenty Mile Ranger Station and take TwentyMile trail all the way up to the AT. On the AT, turn right to visit Shuckstack fire tower only about 1/4 mile away, then make a u-turn and head to #113 (currently closed due to bear activity) for the 1st night. Next day, hike up AT to Doe Knob, then left onto Gregory Bald trail to #13. Again, finish the loop with Wolf Ridge.

All of these hikes have relatively few MPD (nothing over 7 miles) but a pretty good climb to get to the elevation of Gregory Bald.

Should you decide to do one of these loops, ask about Moore Spring.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you are still talking about February, temperatures are likely going to be pretty cold, so you might want to do something that stays at lower elevations (where the ground can still make you cold at night if a recent snow fall has frozen the ground real good... but then again, I've had relatively warm weather for a weekend trip in January before).

Two lower elevation hike that come to mind:
    1. Park the Rainbow falls Trailhead and get a shuttle to the Maddron Bald trail head off of 321.
    Hike to camp sites #33 and #32 and then to your car.
    This hike has about 10 MPD, but no major climbs (but several ups-n-downs, especially the last day).

2. Again, park at Gregory Ridge Trailhead. Hike up Parson's Branch Road to Hannah Mountain Trail and camp at #14. The next day, hike to #17, where you'll have to cross the wide and knee deep Abrams Creek. Third day, hike to Abram's Creek trailhead (after a visit to Abram's Falls) and then return to your car by hiking Cades Cove Loop and Forge Creek Road (about 3 miles of road walking at the end).
    If you don't want a MAJOR creek crossing and willing to miss Abrams Falls, you could take the alternate Rabbit Creek Trail and #15... but you'll still have two creek crossings that will require you ford (but they are much easier than the Abrams Creek crossing).

These hikes will just about guarantee you solitude that (or just about any) time of year (excluding the area between Abrams Falls and its trailhead).

These hikes are again around 10 MPD, but no "big" mountains to climb.

One general note about Parson's Branch road (since I've listed several loops that include it), there is a water crossing where depending upon the water level, you might have to take your boots off for. It's a culvert where the water simply crosses the road, so even in high water times, it will only be several inches deep.

Ive decided to do BSF in February. My buddy wants to do a 3 day for his 30th in November.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've done the Hannah Mountain trial over a Veteran's Day weekend (earlyish Nov) and LOVED it with all the leaves on the ground. I also love seeing Abrams Falls... but crossing Abrams Creek WILL BE COLD... but if my then 10yo can handle it, so can you.

Thanks! I really Really Appreciate it! Im looking through the maps trying to orient myself.

Excuse my ignorance by I need to ask for clarification. When you are talking about Campsites, are any of these actual shelters? Also, as it pertains to bears, what is the activity like during mid Nov?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

In GSMNP, you are only allowed to camp at designated campsites. These sites are numbered on the back country trail map for easy identification.
    Some of the campsites contain a shelter, and these are named rather than numbered on the back country trail map.
    If you stay at a shelter, you are required to sleep in the shelter, YOU will not be allowed to setup a tent or hammock at the shelter.
    Almost all the sites along the AT have a shelter, and only three shelters are NOT located on the AT. However, there are no shelters in the area of Hannah Mountain trail.

The permit system requires that you get an online reservation for the date you plan to be at each campsite. Each campsite has a limited capacity per day, but in November you shouldn't have a problem getting reservations.

By mid November, bear activity should be winding down. Seeing a bear anytime is pretty much hit-or-miss rarity; but off hand, I don't recall seeing bears on the hikes I've done on Veteran's Day weekends.

So we've decided to do New Found to Davenport. Ive looked through the threads a bit but wanted to get any updated information.

So far the plan is to use awalkinthewoods shuttle service. Price looks to be around 120 (Is it customary to tip)

Day 1 Arrive around 12:00EST and hike to Icewater
    Day 2 Hike to Tricorner
    Day 3 Hike to Davenport Shelter
    Day 4 Easy Hike out to Big Creek

Any suggested detours
    Water concerns
    Possible bear issues

Any other thoughts would be appreciated

Images

dont park at davenport....

but by the looks of your route-----you plan on going back into big creek...

as for bears-----all those shelters have resident bears that hang around the area waiting for hikers to turn their backs on their bags...

as for tipping shuttle driver-----some say yes, some say no........its up to you.............also depends upon how the conversation in the vehicle goes (as in, if driver is giving me good info and we have a good conversation, i might tip............if driver is silent and its like pulling teeth to get info, i wont tip)...

water shouldnt be an issue...............all those shelters have springs at them and there are some other springs along the way....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Based on the history to this thread, I assume you're still talking about November.

Expect night time temperatures below freezing. If you use a water filter such as the Sawyer squeeze or mini, you'll need to make sure they are protected to prevent any water in them from freezing).
    While the odds are against it for November, there's always the chance for snow and ice that time of year (just keep an eye on weather forecasts as time for the hike comes to know if that's an issue).

While I don't have direct experience hiking the AT in November, I think the combination of timing and elevation is going to make bears a non-issue. My thinking is that by that time of year, there isn't any food for bears at higher elevations, and therefore bears will have either started their hibernation cycle, or be at lower elevations looking for food.

We would be actually parking at Big Creek. Are you suggesting that we park at New Found? If so why?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    dont park at davenport....

but by the looks of your route-----you plan on going back into big creek...

as for bears-----all those shelters have resident bears that hang around the area waiting for hikers to turn their backs on their bags...

as for tipping shuttle driver-----some say yes, some say no........its up to you.............also depends upon how the conversation in the vehicle goes (as in, if driver is giving me good info and we have a good conversation, i might tip............if driver is silent and its like pulling teeth to get info, i wont tip)...

water shouldnt be an issue...............all those shelters have springs at them and there are some other springs along the way....

We would be actually parking at Big Creek. Are you suggesting that we park at New Found? If so why?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Based on the history to this thread, I assume you're still talking about November.

Expect night time temperatures below freezing. If you use a water filter such as the Sawyer squeeze or mini, you'll need to make sure they are protected to prevent any water in them from freezing).
    While the odds are against it for November, there's always the chance for snow and ice that time of year (just keep an eye on weather forecasts as time for the hike comes to know if that's an issue).

While I don't have direct experience hiking the AT in November, I think the combination of timing and elevation is going to make bears a non-issue. My thinking is that by that time of year, there isn't any food for bears at higher elevations, and therefore bears will have either started their hibernation cycle, or be at lower elevations looking for food.
    Current date is November 9-12.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ol' Sassy View Post
    Current date is November 9-12.
    Veterans Day Weekend.
    Over the last several years, I've spent more Veterans Day weekends in GSMNP than Not. I usually encounter night time lows around 40º-45º camping at lower elevations, and don't recall ever seeing snow at the upper elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Veterans Day Weekend.
    Over the last several years, I've spent more Veterans Day weekends in GSMNP than Not. I usually encounter night time lows around 40º-45º camping at lower elevations, and don't recall ever seeing snow at the upper elevations.
    Do you mess around with bringing a bear horn, bear spray, or a bear canister?

canisters aren't necessary --all Smoky sites have cables to hang your food, or even your entire pack (probably a good idea at shelters what with all the mice).

the spray/horn is your call. I don't carry, and normally I would scoff at the notion, but Smoky bears are more in-your-face than your average bear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ol' Sassy View Post

no.....im saying dont park at davenport gap.....

parking at big creek is much safer.......

park there or at the rangers station on the way into big creek.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++