WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I am heading up to Thomas Knob this weekend. Not planning on getting any sleep. If things go according to plan, there will be at least one less bear (possibly more) when I am done. If the rangers won't take care of the problem then I will.
    plan to commit a crime and brag about it in advance on the internet?

bold move, cotton.

I am heading up to Thomas Knob this weekend. Not planning on getting any sleep. If things go according to plan, there will be at least one less bear (possibly more) when I am done. If the rangers won't take care of the problem then I will.
    Cool, I'll call the Ranger's office now to let them know.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    High Point Shelter in NJ and Desolation Shelter in the whites both had bears that would run into the shelter, grab packs and haul them in the woods to strip. The bears eventually figure out that all the yelling and rock throwing is a bluff. New Jersey restarted bear hunting and the problems reduced. The bear in the whites started working the parking lot at a high visibility visitor center and was removed. There is currently a bear warning in the same area of a male bear that is actively grabbing packs that are set down. Just north of there has been ongoing issues with bears charging folks camped at 13 falls. There is a designated cooking area and the bears are actively charging at it when folks are cooking.
    Cneill, are you perhaps misreading peakbagger's post? Other than his last couple of sentences, he's describing past occurrences - that were already addressed. And none of the bears he described are in Grayson Highlands.

I understand your desire to address the situation, but please don't. There are better ways to respond, smarter ways to get action.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    Cool, I'll call the Ranger's office now to let them know.
    As best as I can tell, the USDA Forest Service office with jurisdiction is the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area
    1-800-628-7202 or
    276-783-5196

You're either talking out of your ass or you're poaching across state lines and then (likely) wantonly wasting the harvest....both of these things make you look ignorant as all hell.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    As best as I can tell, the USDA Forest Service office with jurisdiction is the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area
    1-800-628-7202 or
    276-783-5196
    Thanks! Just reached out. Also emailed the ATC with a link and screenshot.

Folks, absolutely not the way to handle the situation. Normally I would have just taken this post down but in the event a bear carcass is found, it'll be easier for the authorities to see the post. It's not bear season in VA.

Speaking of authorities, it's my understanding that states, in general have controlling authority for wildlife issues, but USFS would probably forward your notification to VA Department of Game & Inland Fisheries Conservation Police in Marion, VA.

Anyway, LaurieP provided a link in Post 1 and suggested ways to mitigate human-bear interaction in that area that are not illegal.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Hunting does two things: It re-inforces a bear's natural fear of humans and it manages bear numbers. Yes, people need to secure their food. Yes, humans are causing this problem by not doing so. I have zero problem with implementing a canister requirement if that's what it takes. But letting the bears simply continue their behavior isn't solving anything. I've said it before, rubber slugs appear to work well to inhibit bears from getting into trash. Why rangers are not simply going to these areas and trying this method to re-instill fear in these bears is beyond me. If you're not going to open controlled hunting what exactly is being done to instill the rightful fear into bears?
    I couldn't have said it any better. There are so many knee-jerk reactions being thrown out there...CLOSE THE PARK! Looking at it logically, instituting bear canister requirements and non-lethal deterrents sounds like a great first step to me!
    It is what it is.

I wish the authorities would put the effort you think they're going to put into tracking down the ramblings of an anonymous internet user into actually doing something about this bear problem at GHSP.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I wish the authorities would put the effort you think they're going to put into tracking down the ramblings of an anonymous internet user into actually doing something about this bear problem at GHSP.
    I don't suspect they will exert any effort without an actual crime occurring but you're only talking about 3 minutes anyway.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I don't suspect they will exert any effort without an actual crime occurring but you're only talking about 3 minutes anyway.
    3 minutes away from what?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    3 minutes away from what?
    “Three minutes anyway”, not “three minutes away”

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    “Three minutes anyway”, not “three minutes away”
    I'm with Gambit, It's still unclear to me what the "three minutes anyway" is referring to

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Perhaps what Alligator meant was that the "effort" referred to by JPritch to track somebody down would only take about 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Perhaps what Alligator meant was that the "effort" referred to by JPritch to track somebody down would only take about 3 minutes.
    That's certainly how I read it. Simply archiving information now in case it was needed later. By having it there, it makes the search easy and quick if required.

Land managers are evaluating options to mitigate the human-bear conflicts in the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands State Park area while also ensuring the public's safety.

The U.S. Forest Service, Virginia State Parks, the Regional Wildlife Manager from the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and the Mt. Rogers A.T. Club are working together to address the situation.

Management efforts over the summer have included extensive on-the-ground education, the installation of bear-resistant boxes, and electric fences. ATC also just recently developed a bear incident report form (we encourage anyone who has had an encounter with a bear to use. It can be found at www.appalachiantrail.org/bears.)

We expect additional measures to address the escalating bear activity will be announced and implemented soon. Please follow ATC’s Trail Updates page at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates for the latest information.

Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Thanks for the update LaurieP!

BINGO Illabelle!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Land managers are evaluating options to mitigate the human-bear conflicts in the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands State Park area while also ensuring the public's safety.

The U.S. Forest Service, Virginia State Parks, the Regional Wildlife Manager from the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and the Mt. Rogers A.T. Club are working together to address the situation.

Management efforts over the summer have included extensive on-the-ground education, the installation of bear-resistant boxes, and electric fences. ATC also just recently developed a bear incident report form (we encourage anyone who has had an encounter with a bear to use. It can be found at www.appalachiantrail.org/bears.)

We expect additional measures to address the escalating bear activity will be announced and implemented soon. Please follow ATC’s Trail Updates page at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates for the latest information.

Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy
    I drove over the AT @ Elk Garden at noon today. There were 4 vehicles in the parking lot. I stopped to see if notices were posted on the bulletin board....there were not any. There are 3 main entrances into the park, each with a bulletin board. Would it not make sense to post notices on the boards?

Is euthanization still being considered or are they headed towards non-lethal deterrents?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

We expect new signs alerting hikers to the current recommendations to be posted tomorrow. It was expected that signs announcing more official actions would have been posted by now, but it looks like that will happen early next week.

ATC and the Mount Rogers Appalachian Trail Club recommend these alternatives for A.T. hikers in the Mt. Rogers area:

Shorten the route by hiking the Pine Mountain Trail.
    Many years ago, the Pine Mountain Trail was the official route of the A.T. This 2-mile blue-blazed trail intersects the A.T. at Rhododendron Gap (1 mile north of Thomas Knob Shelter) and again 1.7 miles south of Old Orchard Shelter. Following the Pine Mountain Trail instead of the A.T. makes the total distance from Elk Garden to Fox Creek 10.6 miles.

Camp at Hickory Ridge Campground in Grayson Highlands State Park
    During this recommendation, Grayson Highlands State Park will allow backpackers to camp at the Hickory Ridge Campground even if the traditional drive-in campsites are full. Hickory Ridge Campground is 1.4 miles from the A.T. near Wise Shelter via the Seed Orchard Trail. Look for the trail junction just north of Wise Shelter, near where Scales Trail and Wilson Creek Trail also join the A.T. The Seed Orchard Trail is as wide as a gravel road, and marked with red blazes.

Arrange for a shuttle.
    There are many transportation and lodging services in Damascus and Troutdale which can assist hikers in skipping the closed section, or provide transportation from Massie Gap to alternative lodging options. Refer to the Thru Hikers Companion or other guides for more information.

FYI: A very dedicated Mount Rogers A.T. Club volunteer has just cleared the Pine Mountain Trail.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++