WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Puffy???

Default Best Puffy???

What are good puffy choices for an AT through hike? I know I want a hood, but I’m undecided about the rest.

Synthetic insulated jackets are ideal for the wet conditions on the AT.

Something like a Montbell thermawrap, EE Torrid, or RAB xenon works very well on the wet AT.

You may or may not use your jacket alot. I see some people wearing their's all the time. Haven't touched mine since April.

A hood is nice. A

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like my Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka.

Do you want low weight, or do you want to be warm? I use an Sierra Designs Super Stratus jacket for three season hiking, or if it's going to warmer, a hoodless Eddie Bauer synthetic puffy. In the Winter, I combine the two with a hooded fleece. I like layers

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Do you want low weight, or do you want to be warm? I use an Sierra Designs Super Stratus jacket for three season hiking, or if it's going to warmer, a hoodless Eddie Bauer synthetic puffy. In the Winter, I combine the two with a hooded fleece. I like layers
    The Eddie Bauer CirrusLite Down Jacket is on sale for under $80 but I can't find the weight. Which EB do you have and do you know the weight?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    That's what I use... love it's warmth to weight ratio (but it feels like you have to baby the material, it is very thin). You can often find them on sale for about 50% the full retail price of somewhere around $320 (i.e. you should be able to eventually find one for about $150).

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    That's what I use... love it's warmth to weight ratio (but it feels like you have to baby the material, it is very thin). You can often find them on sale for about 50% the full retail price of somewhere around $320 (i.e. you should be able to eventually find one for about $150).
    Yes. Backcountry & Mountain Hardware usually have sales this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Yep. My wife set up a shopping alert and I grabbed one in July for $170.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    The Eddie Bauer CirrusLite Down Jacket is on sale for under $80 but I can't find the weight. Which EB do you have and do you know the weight?
    Ignitelite reversable. It's primaloft. 12.2 oz total weight in size large tall. My Sierra Designs down puffy is packed for an upcoming semi-Pemi/section hike/peakbagging/bushwack starting Saturday, otherwise I'd weigh that too.

Enlightened Equipment makes a synthetic puffy now. Not sure what the leadtimes are on it, but it's something to consider.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Mens-Hole-i...et-700-Downtek

On sale, bought two for my trip...I'll report when finished. Not the lightest, but they feel amazing

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    My favorite as well.

On my thru this year, REI magma worked great. $90 on sale. However, most times I was hiding it from wet weather whilst watching my buddy wear his Patagonia nano-puff constantly. I'm going synthetic on AT from now on. YMMV.

Nunatak. They offer many options. Longer torso, longer sleeve lengths, whatever you could ever think ofof they can make it.

This is what I go with: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8356...&bc=&feat=down sweater-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=down%20sweater
    It may not be for everyone but I like it. I can stuff the jacket into its own pocket and use it as a pillow as well. As of today (Friday, 8/31) LL Bean is having a Labor Day sale so you can get it for less than what's advertised.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Forgot to add...I don't know what the garments other folks have mentioned weigh but my down sweater comes in at 10 oz. on my postal scale. Having this one garment has allowed me to leave other upper layers home. I also like the fact that they use their Dry-Tech down in it. I haven't had it out in a downpour but some long lasting drizzles in the Adirondacks haven't negatively effected it at all.

Until next time....be well.

snapper

Quote Originally Posted by pettas View Post
    This is what I go with: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8356...&bc=&feat=down sweater-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=down%20sweater
    It may not be for everyone but I like it. I can stuff the jacket into its own pocket and use it as a pillow as well. As of today (Friday, 8/31) LL Bean is having a Labor Day sale so you can get it for less than what's advertised.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
    I bought mine last year. I like it.
    My size Large weighs 12 ounces. The catalog said 10 ounces. That might be for a Medium.
    The Large is cut full to allow layering under the down sweater. I can wear fleece, wool or down garments comfortably under the Bean Down Sweater. The shell is wind proof! A big PLUS in my estimation.
    I was also able to replace clothes in my pack with this one garment for shoulder season in the Rockies.
    Money well spent!
    Wayne

Enlightened Equipment makes a synthetic puffy now. Not sure what the leadtimes are on it, but it's something to consider.
    I want one of these so badly, but don't have the money right now. Might have to go on the Christmas list...need a good synthetic for the UK

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I want one of these so badly, but don't have the money right now. Might have to go on the Christmas list...need a good synthetic for the UK
    Plenty of them in the warehouse- ready to ship and discounted (overstock)
    https://enlightenedequipment.com/men...coyote-coyote/

Worth remembering though... this is 2 ounce apex. About a 50-55* quilt's worth when brand new.

60g Primaloft is a pretty solid 50*
    100g is 40-45*
    Primaloft Gold will hold up longer and is warmer when wet.

For the OP- synthetic puffy all day on the AT. Especially if you have a down bag.

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/web-s...0&sz=24#tile-5

Sale time at patagonia (my favorite)

The micro puff is a classic beater.
    The Nano Air is awesome, especially if you plan to sleep in it. But needs a windshell to pair with it as it is very breathable.

I have the micro puff now (REI dividend) but have not had a chance to use it as I got it during the early summer sale.
    Checked the fit and put it back in the closet. It's REI... so it can go back if it sucks.

I would personally not buy an apex jacket... but EE does use lighter shell material and it's generally good enough shell material to serve as it's own windshell. So for what it is (light puffy) it's not a bad piece.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++