WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Puffy???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best Puffy???

What are good puffy choices for an AT through hike? I know I want a hood, but I’m undecided about the rest.

Synthetic insulated jackets are ideal for the wet conditions on the AT.

Something like a Montbell thermawrap, EE Torrid, or RAB xenon works very well on the wet AT.

You may or may not use your jacket alot. I see some people wearing their's all the time. Haven't touched mine since April.

A hood is nice. A

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    That's what I use... love it's warmth to weight ratio (but it feels like you have to baby the material, it is very thin). You can often find them on sale for about 50% the full retail price of somewhere around $320 (i.e. you should be able to eventually find one for about $150).

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    That's what I use... love it's warmth to weight ratio (but it feels like you have to baby the material, it is very thin). You can often find them on sale for about 50% the full retail price of somewhere around $320 (i.e. you should be able to eventually find one for about $150).
    Yes. Backcountry & Mountain Hardware usually have sales this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Yep. My wife set up a shopping alert and I grabbed one in July for $170.

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    My favorite as well.

On my thru this year, REI magma worked great. $90 on sale. However, most times I was hiding it from wet weather whilst watching my buddy wear his Patagonia nano-puff constantly. I'm going synthetic on AT from now on. YMMV.

Really like my Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka.

Do you want low weight, or do you want to be warm? I use an Sierra Designs Super Stratus jacket for three season hiking, or if it's going to warmer, a hoodless Eddie Bauer synthetic puffy. In the Winter, I combine the two with a hooded fleece. I like layers

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Do you want low weight, or do you want to be warm? I use an Sierra Designs Super Stratus jacket for three season hiking, or if it's going to warmer, a hoodless Eddie Bauer synthetic puffy. In the Winter, I combine the two with a hooded fleece. I like layers
    The Eddie Bauer CirrusLite Down Jacket is on sale for under $80 but I can't find the weight. Which EB do you have and do you know the weight?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    The Eddie Bauer CirrusLite Down Jacket is on sale for under $80 but I can't find the weight. Which EB do you have and do you know the weight?
    Ignitelite reversable. It's primaloft. 12.2 oz total weight in size large tall. My Sierra Designs down puffy is packed for an upcoming semi-Pemi/section hike/peakbagging/bushwack starting Saturday, otherwise I'd weigh that too.

Enlightened Equipment makes a synthetic puffy now. Not sure what the leadtimes are on it, but it's something to consider.

Enlightened Equipment makes a synthetic puffy now. Not sure what the leadtimes are on it, but it's something to consider.
    I want one of these so badly, but don't have the money right now. Might have to go on the Christmas list...need a good synthetic for the UK

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I want one of these so badly, but don't have the money right now. Might have to go on the Christmas list...need a good synthetic for the UK
    Plenty of them in the warehouse- ready to ship and discounted (overstock)
    https://enlightenedequipment.com/men...coyote-coyote/

Worth remembering though... this is 2 ounce apex. About a 50-55* quilt's worth when brand new.

60g Primaloft is a pretty solid 50*
    100g is 40-45*
    Primaloft Gold will hold up longer and is warmer when wet.

For the OP- synthetic puffy all day on the AT. Especially if you have a down bag.

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/web-s...0&sz=24#tile-5

Sale time at patagonia (my favorite)

The micro puff is a classic beater.
    The Nano Air is awesome, especially if you plan to sleep in it. But needs a windshell to pair with it as it is very breathable.

I have the micro puff now (REI dividend) but have not had a chance to use it as I got it during the early summer sale.
    Checked the fit and put it back in the closet. It's REI... so it can go back if it sucks.

I would personally not buy an apex jacket... but EE does use lighter shell material and it's generally good enough shell material to serve as it's own windshell. So for what it is (light puffy) it's not a bad piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Plenty of them in the warehouse- ready to ship and discounted (overstock)
    https://enlightenedequipment.com/men...coyote-coyote/

Worth remembering though... this is 2 ounce apex. About a 50-55* quilt's worth when brand new.

60g Primaloft is a pretty solid 50*
    100g is 40-45*
    Primaloft Gold will hold up longer and is warmer when wet.

For the OP- synthetic puffy all day on the AT. Especially if you have a down bag.

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/web-s...0&sz=24#tile-5

Sale time at patagonia (my favorite)

The micro puff is a classic beater.
    The Nano Air is awesome, especially if you plan to sleep in it. But needs a windshell to pair with it as it is very breathable.

I have the micro puff now (REI dividend) but have not had a chance to use it as I got it during the early summer sale.
    Checked the fit and put it back in the closet. It's REI... so it can go back if it sucks.

I would personally not buy an apex jacket... but EE does use lighter shell material and it's generally good enough shell material to serve as it's own windshell. So for what it is (light puffy) it's not a bad piece.
    So your saying that the EE Torrid Apex jackets, insulation is really the equivalent of a 50 degree quilt? I have only tried mine on but it kept me warm outside in a t shirt at 40 degrees. Not just warm, but hot.
    I just got one for my birthday and its synthetic which i like and light, though doesn't pack super small. I was going to bring this for my AT hike but it sounds like its not all that warm, compared to a Ghost Whisperer?

Quote Originally Posted by kgordon View Post
    So your saying that the EE Torrid Apex jackets, insulation is really the equivalent of a 50 degree quilt? I have only tried mine on but it kept me warm outside in a t shirt at 40 degrees. Not just warm, but hot.
    I just got one for my birthday and its synthetic which i like and light, though doesn't pack super small. I was going to bring this for my AT hike but it sounds like its not all that warm, compared to a Ghost Whisperer?
    Yes- insulation is insulation... so you can compare it easily to sleeping gear as a decent way to compare different items. https://1drv.ms/b/s!Apygyt54yYPwg40vo1VSor5A3Tm47w
    You'd have to know the loft of the MHGW... but as a 'light puffy' it's likely in the 3/4-1" range. So same weight as the EE jacket really if talking a temp rating.

It would clearly pack better, but the issue with really low loft down is that humidity (especially in clothing) can knock them out easier. The advantage with synthetics is if you may desire to wear it for real, you don't have to worry about it. Lots of folks think they are only wearing their stuff at camp but in reality that may not mean completely moisture free. If you keep it in a drybag... you do cut out the chance of ambient air humidity losses... but then again you also cut out any chance of it drying out unless you sun it. If you are sweaty and in need of a camp puffy to stay warm right after you stopped... you either have to have the discipline to wait until you cool down completely, then toss on the puffy and try to rewarm or put it on too early and dump moisture vapor into it while you cool down more gradually.

Personally- If I have a down bag, I want a synthetic puffy as a counterbalance- especially out east.
    Due to pack size issues with APEX... I prefer Primaloft Gold however as a premium synthetic it is more expensive and usually only sold by expensive brands like Patagonia.
    Apex has the advantage of easier construction and lower end cost as a result. So I wouldn't call it cheap, but it is economical but comes with some dings.

As to being hot in the jacket... sleeping gear is rated for how warm it will be when your metabolic rate is low (sleep). You are a light bulb putting out heat and insulation traps it.
    The formula for insulation uses Watts/square meter.
    Wherein your light bulb is on a dimmer switch expressed in watts of output over the surface area of your body (that's why women's ratings are lower- they get a smaller surface area to output heat).

When sleeping you put out about 40w, rest(awake) 60w, and slow walking is 120w.
    So your 50* insulation piece is 150% more effective simply because you are awake when you're wearing it.

But since it can be hard to compare things... it's handy to be able to dump any insulation back to sleeping gear equivalent ratings and go from there.

Roughly... folks ballpark puffy jackets into Light (50*) Medium (40*) and Heavy (30*), with lofts in roughly 1", 1.5" and 2" respectively. Polar weight puffies will have actual baffles and no sewn through construction in around 2" of loft or more. Though as clothing you are usually getting 10-15* more than that when sitting around or farting with some camp chores. Though eating food can drop your metabolism as your body works hard on digestion which is one reason some like to eat dinner and hike on for an hour or more afterwards.

Depending on your hiking style... you could find that puffy on (and exposed) more than you might think to moisture. So your individual habits and style of hiking (along with what else you have) should factor in when picking a puffy.
    A little pack size can be a good thing, and one advantage in a light kit Apex might have is that it's a good volume eater if packed loosely. A full pack carries best so as you eat down your food the apex isn't a bad way to maintain fill.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Mens-Hole-i...et-700-Downtek

On sale, bought two for my trip...I'll report when finished. Not the lightest, but they feel amazing

Nunatak. They offer many options. Longer torso, longer sleeve lengths, whatever you could ever think ofof they can make it.

Forgot to add...I don't know what the garments other folks have mentioned weigh but my down sweater comes in at 10 oz. on my postal scale. Having this one garment has allowed me to leave other upper layers home. I also like the fact that they use their Dry-Tech down in it. I haven't had it out in a downpour but some long lasting drizzles in the Adirondacks haven't negatively effected it at all.

Until next time....be well.

snapper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++