WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Puffy???

I actually sold the Frontpoint a few weeks ago. It was a great piece of gear, but the XL was too big for me. Ended up with a Mammut Ambler. Not quite as much down (something like 8 ounces instead of 10?) but very similar overall. Still very adequate for any trip I might do in the near future.

Images

Not impressed with my Feathered Friends Volant a few years ago. No draft tube, or insulation in the chin area of the hood? No YKK zip? Basic stuff...

Isn't the Volant one of their lightweight products? It makes sense to strip off some of those features in that case. Not sure on the zipper brand, but I've never had a seconds trouble on my FF jackets or sleeping bag with zippers.

Images

Volant is a baffled jacket, so pretty heavy duty.
    Big Hike: the first iOS app for the AT and BMT

Yeah, I was mixing it up with the Helios. Looking into it now.

Nothing beats Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka. I have never been even chilly in it. Aways toasty warm

Quote Originally Posted by Decibel View Post
    Nothing beats Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka. I have never been even chilly in it. Aways toasty warm
    My Icefall is one step below the Rock and Ice---with 15.3 ozs of down vs 20 ozs---but very few backpackers will carry such jackets---as they are way beyond puffy jackets in warmth---but if you really want to tackle winter backpacking and stay out for the "duration"---weeks at a time---they're a great investment.

The parka is needed for winter camping and above treelike in the White Mountains of NH. Gets very cold out there.

Images

When are you starting?

A lot of good choices listed here. AT is typically wetter than most, but the real killer to down puffy jackets is humidity, the inability to dry quickly, and the utter lack of insulating ability when wet (not that synthetics are good, but they are better than down).

For down, FF is pretty great if pricey. I utterly love my Westcomb Cayoosh hoodie (as does my XC running daughter, I can't keep her from stealing it). The Ghost Whisperer is highly rated, people love 'em, I think they are good (many older ones that I have seen are patched which leads me to believe they can be a bit fragile but well loved) but ultimately eclipsed by the Westcomb Cayoosh. The Arc'teryx Cerium LT Hoody is highly thought of my its owners, I've no experience with it, but I've liked their other equipment although their customer service and warranty service is reported to have declined over the past couple of years. But down really does benefit from being able to fully dehumidify when used as an active layer and the AT is not well known for easy or quick drying of gear like hikes out West. Down is by far the most warm for the weight, but you gotta keep it dry. Keep it dry and you will love it.

For synthetics, Nunatak was mentioned once, I've not seen any outside of mine in the east. However, I believe that the Nunatak PCT offers the best possible solution to puffy needs. Customize as needed, long hem, check, long sleeves, check, custom insulation choices, check, price, well check that too. So for ultimate synthetic puffy, Nunatak is it IMHO. Their quality and customer service is top notch as well. The EE Torrid is very nice too, a step down from Nunatak and it will never be as warm but about 40-50% less expensive but for really cold nights it will require layering (EE's customer service is top notch). Patagonia nano puff is another option, but spend the other $50-100 on the Nunatak if you are paying retail. Montbell has options that are on the less pricey side with good quality in the items I have owned of theirs. There is also the Arc'teryx Atom AR, some people love it, but I've never even tried one on.

Lots of choices. I'd go synthetic and Nunatak if money were not a primary issue, EE Torrid if price was a consideration and getting really cold was not a huge issue, Montbell if money was tight (they often part with stuff in their outlet section).

Quote Originally Posted by Zumo View Post
    What are good puffy choices for an AT through hike? I know I want a hood, but I’m undecided about the rest.
    I didn't read through ALL the comments (but hopefully you did). However, all the comments/endorsements from posters won't really matter until you get any particular jacket out on the trail. I mean no harm towards the Ghost Whisper puffy, but I heard amazing things about the jacket and then had a chance to try it on in a store. I immediately knew (standing in a temperature controlled store) that it would not work for me and my body type and my nature to get cold easily.

TL/DR I know everyone on the forum means well, but they don't know what you need. Only you do.

Quote Originally Posted by BAontheTrail View Post
    I didn't read through ALL the comments (but hopefully you did). However, all the comments/endorsements from posters won't really matter until you get any particular jacket out on the trail. I mean no harm towards the Ghost Whisper puffy, but I heard amazing things about the jacket and then had a chance to try it on in a store. I immediately knew (standing in a temperature controlled store) that it would not work for me and my body type and my nature to get cold easily.

TL/DR I know everyone on the forum means well, but they don't know what you need. Only you do.
    I get this... years ago I bought a somewhat ugly coat because it was the only one I had to take off rather quickly as I started to get hot and sweaty in the store. My boyfriend didn’t like it- he said it made me look fat... kept the coat years longer than the fellow. Lived near Montreal at the time. Beautiful country but cold winters.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    he said it made me look fat... kept the coat years longer than the fellow.
    lol, made my day!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    I get this... years ago I bought a somewhat ugly coat because it was the only one I had to take off rather quickly as I started to get hot and sweaty in the store. My boyfriend didn’t like it- he said it made me look fat... kept the coat years longer than the fellow. Lived near Montreal at the time. Beautiful country but cold winters.
    There's a lesson here: If I'm with my wife the next time she tries on a winter coat and asks how it looks, the correct answer is, "It makes you look so hot."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++