WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation Katahdin will NOT "close for several days" Please stop sharing that link!

The Trek author didn't read the link they're sharing.
    https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...#comment-92289
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I heard Katahdin was going to be down for a few days while they upgrade to the newest version
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I heard Katahdin was going to be down for a few days while they upgrade to the newest version
    I advocated closing parts of Baxter for an entire year. Rotating East, West, and North sections each over three years, for regeneration and infrastructure improvement. Each section open for two years, closed for a year, and repeat.

Anyhoo, that Trek post is wrong. If you see it, please don't share it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

Confused.

Are saying that headline in misleading, or the post?

The post says that BSP is discouraging thru hikers to summit several days over the upcoming weekend because of the special celebrations and traffic associate with The Penobscot gathering.

The article makes it clear the Park is looking for thru hiker cooperation.

Is that not the case?

Neither the title, nor the body, of the article referenced in post #1 said that Katahdin was closing for three days. It does, however, contain pertinate information on traffic and congestion for that three days (Sept 1-3) that could affect hikers.

"Katahdin to Close for Several Days"
    Is incorrect.
    The Trek author didn't read the link they're sharing.
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Neither the title, nor the body, of the article referenced in post #1 said that Katahdin was closing for three days.
    Up until a few minutes ago the title was "Katahdin to close for several days." Shared 150+ times form the Trek site.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/baxterstatepark/
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Up until a few minutes ago the title was "Katahdin to close for several days." Shared 150+ times form the Trek site.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/baxterstatepark/
    Just to back up TJ:
    https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...#comment-92289
    thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/katahdin-close-several-days-labor-day/#comment-92289
    This is what appears on the original link when you click it- which re-routes to the updated article.

No offense to anyone on a personal level... but the Trek is not exactly a paragon of factual journalism.
    More of a collection of amateur blogs with little editing or fact checking.

To be fair to those posting there- I don't think many or any of them get paid.
    Millennial members of this site will be familiar with the term 'paid in exposure'

I have been up in the park several times during labor day. The only significant impact is at Katahdin Stream and the road leading to it from Togue Pond Gate. No impact at Abol or Roaring Brook. Those who want to day hike the mountain have less options for Day Use Parking Reservations as KSC is blocked out for those days

+2: The title of the linked article has finally been corrected to reflect the situation. The previous headline announced that the park was closed for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    ... but the Trek is not exactly a paragon of factual journalism.
    More of a collection of amateur blogs with little editing or fact checking.
    “Factual journalism” is an oxymoron.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 08-28-2018 at 10:05.

++ New Posts ++