WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Have you tried trekking poles?

Quote Originally Posted by Deserthikes View Post
    Have you tried trekking poles?
    DEFINITELY, helpful!

Last year, I added Walgreens/CVS knee braces.

This spring, I had knee surgery and was told that I have extreme arthritis in both knees - looking at knee replacement in the next few years. I researched and found numerous positive reviews for the "Cho-Ban" knee braces off Amazon. I bought two. Strangest thing occurred: my knees felt better on the AT than they do going up and down the stairs at home!

I was having some knee pain. Found out through a chiropractor I was misaligned. Turned out when I took my fat arse wallet of my right back pant's pocket where I had always stored my wallet the knee pain stopped. Coincidence? I dont think so. Seemed I was propped up on one side leading to the issue. Posture improved at the same time.

Some hiker knee pain is caused by going too rough ergonomically inefficiently or too strenuous on ascents and especially descents. I see many backpackers pound down hills taking deep riser step downs. Always shorten the riser heights. Dont engage in deep knee bends with heavy loads all day day after day. Keep feet undernbeath you. Dont haul too heavy a pack going too far beyond your comfort zone for awhile. Make sure your pack fits and is adjusted correctly. I gained a valuable lesson when I learned I was over tightening one shoulder strap. It caused spinal mis-alignment from which I was favoring one side of my body making one knee do more work than the other. I've learned to not do that and alternate which foot and sided I lead with while hiking. See what happens. Employ trekking poles RIGHTLY taking wt off your gait. SHORTEN your gait. Take smaller steps. Avoid the role polly rocks and debris. See your doc. Stretch correctly.

I take 23 -32 different supplements. About 1/3 are for joints, ligaments, and muscle recovery. Unequivocally they work. No one supplement has been a lone silver magic bullet though. I would know after yrs of semi pro tennis, HS/college/rec basketball, engaging in high impact aerobics 4x weekly for 1.5 hrs per session when it was the fad, being an asphalt and trail runner, and LD hiker. I'm a firm believer in and dedicated to a non inflammatory lifestyle. It used to be when I bent down or rolled my wrist, ankles, or neck it was like gravel in my body with all manner of grisly sounds. No more. AND, that's when I was younger. SO, I GOT BETTER as I aged in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I was having some knee pain. Found out through a chiropractor I was misaligned. Turned out when I took my fat arse wallet of my right back pant's pocket where I had always stored my wallet the knee pain stopped. Coincidence? I dont think so. Seemed I was propped up on one side leading to the issue. Posture improved at the same time.

Some hiker knee pain is caused by going too rough ergonomically inefficiently or too strenuous on ascents and especially descents. I see many backpackers pound down hills taking deep riser step downs. Always shorten the riser heights. Dont engage in deep knee bends with heavy loads all day day after day. Keep feet undernbeath you. Dont haul too heavy a pack going too far beyond your comfort zone for awhile. Make sure your pack fits and is adjusted correctly. I gained a valuable lesson when I learned I was over tightening one shoulder strap. It caused spinal mis-alignment from which I was favoring one side of my body making one knee do more work than the other. I've learned to not do that and alternate which foot and sided I lead with while hiking. See what happens. Employ trekking poles RIGHTLY taking wt off your gait. SHORTEN your gait. Take smaller steps. Avoid the role polly rocks and debris. See your doc. Stretch correctly.

I take 23 -32 different supplements. About 1/3 are for joints, ligaments, and muscle recovery. Unequivocally they work. No one supplement has been a lone silver magic bullet though. I would know after yrs of semi pro tennis, HS/college/rec basketball, engaging in high impact aerobics 4x weekly for 1.5 hrs per session when it was the fad, being an asphalt and trail runner, and LD hiker. I'm a firm believer in and dedicated to a non inflammatory lifestyle. It used to be when I bent down or rolled my wrist, ankles, or neck it was like gravel in my body with all manner of grisly sounds. No more. AND, that's when I was younger. SO, I GOT BETTER as I aged in this regard.
    I assume you are ultra-lite with you gear, because carrying 23-32 supplements has got to add up to some weight on a LD hike.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Trekking poles for me. I had never had knee pain in my life, and after 2 days of hard hiking I'd have pretty bad pain in both knees. I got trekking poles, and now I hike even harder and have 0 knee pain.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I assume you are ultra-lite with you gear, because carrying 23-32 supplements has got to add up to some weight on a LD hike.
    LOL. They do add up in bulk which is why I like to mail resupply often. Some add calories that add not only to total daily energy but also nutritional needs. Even with them daily food consumable wt is between 1.25- 1.6 lbs/day. It all balances out to be UL. Every single piece of gear or food itcals/oz) or what's carried doesn't have to be the most UL. BTW I used to compare wt and bulk of the same supplements from different companies. Same with rubber bands, baggies, batteries...

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel29 View Post
    Whats the best way to get rid of and prevent hikers knee?
    You'll often hear lower your kit wt. Use trekking poles. Do what I've previously stated. That helps. What helps more? Address causes. DO NOT BE OVER WT. DEFINITELY DON'T BE OBESE!!!! GET away from the SAD...Standard American Diet...and Standard American Lifestyle!!!! Dont be sedentary!!! Dont sit around. Move...Moderate exercise. Dont smoke. Dont expose yourself to toxins...chemical, emotional, in food like substances, pharmaceutical,...Go largely plant based. DETOX. Fat cells are the most pro inflammatory cells in the body. What causes pain? Inflammation. Lose the toxic lifestyle habits. LOSE the toxicity in the body...AND MIND..AND EMOTIONS. DO NOT STRESS over everything. BE happy. Take care of your shirt. Live CLEAN. LAUGH. APPRECIATE. BE THANKFUL. Walk in Nature. Meditate in Nature, Shinrin-yoku. “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as the sunshine into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off you as autumn leaves.“ Everybody needs beauty...places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul alike.“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.”

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You'll often hear lower your kit wt. Use trekking poles. Do what I've previously stated. That helps. What helps more? Address causes. DO NOT BE OVER WT. DEFINITELY DON'T BE OBESE!!!! GET away from the SAD...Standard American Diet...and Standard American Lifestyle!!!! Dont be sedentary!!! Dont sit around. Move...Moderate exercise. Dont smoke. Dont expose yourself to toxins...chemical, emotional, in food like substances, pharmaceutical,...Go largely plant based. DETOX. Fat cells are the most pro inflammatory cells in the body. What causes pain? Inflammation. Lose the toxic lifestyle habits. LOSE the toxicity in the body...AND MIND..AND EMOTIONS. DO NOT STRESS over everything. BE happy. Take care of your shirt. Live CLEAN. LAUGH. APPRECIATE. BE THANKFUL. Walk in Nature. Meditate in Nature, Shinrin-yoku. “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as the sunshine into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off you as autumn leaves.“ Everybody needs beauty...places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul alike.“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.”
    Right now I am at a rehab center for some major surgery I had last December so my diet is rather shall we say balanced but limited. I have pick up some weight that was needed as I was classified severely underweight. The dietician and nutritionist agree that my current weight is good for my height, 6' and 185. I would like to drop about 10 lbs. I have quit drinking (2007), quit smoking (January 2, 2016) and never felt better. I suffer from Crohn's Disease and when at home do eat lot6s of vegetables but have a problem with getting enough proteins to keep the doctors happy. I am also in need of various drugs to keep the Crohn's in check. I would like to do all you suggested, but it is not possible to fully follow your thinking even though I think it is excellent advise.
    Blackheart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++