WhiteBlaze Pages 2023
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $5 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default hostel new jersey and new york

    Hello. Trying to find a hostel between high point state park and unionville, and 7 lakes drive and the appalachian deli in new york. Just finishing some miles left over after a fall. would like to find a place to park my car and perhaps shuttles to drop off and end points, would pay to stay somewhere overnight and pay for the shuttles. Thank you in advance.

  2. #2

    Default

    That’s only 9 miles. No hostels between that distance. You can call Horler’s General Store in Unionville, NY and ask about parking a car there. That store also handles hiker camping at the town park. For shuttles, George Lightcap is the most popular driver in that area. He should still be on the shuttle list (search WB for it).

    That’s an easy stretch and Annabelle’s Pizza in Unionville makes great food.

  3. #3

    Default

    The only hostel between the Delaware Water Gap and the Hudson river was at the St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Vernon, NJ. The only hostel north of the Hudson is the Graymoor Spiritual center, and that really isn't a hostel. They just let you camp at the ball field. Not sure if you can stay if you drive in.

    But it may no longer be open. When I stayed there two years ago, the caretaker (who you had to call to open up the room) said the church membership was getting so small they were having trouble keeping the lights on. They had a shower, but that was about it. You slept on the floor in the rec room.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  4. #4
    Registered User ldsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    73
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The only hostel between the Delaware Water Gap and the Hudson river was at the St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Vernon, NJ. The only hostel north of the Hudson is the Graymoor Spiritual center, and that really isn't a hostel. They just let you camp at the ball field. Not sure if you can stay if you drive in.

    But it may no longer be open. When I stayed there two years ago, the caretaker (who you had to call to open up the room) said the church membership was getting so small they were having trouble keeping the lights on. They had a shower, but that was about it. You slept on the floor in the rec room.
    Graymoor is still open. I camped there on June 2 of this year. Big field and a covered pavilion. There is electricity in the pavilion so you can charge electronics if you care to. Also, there's a nice porta potti. The facility is a really big place. I would want permission to park there, but I bet if you left you car there nobody would even notice. The location is about .4 of mile off the AT.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

  5. #5

    Default

    The hostel in Vernon closed in 2016.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Graymoor is still open. I camped there on June 2 of this year. Big field and a covered pavilion. There is electricity in the pavilion so you can charge electronics if you care to. Also, there's a nice porta potti. The facility is a really big place. I would want permission to park there, but I bet if you left you car there nobody would even notice. The location is about .4 of mile off the AT.
    Bad edit. I meant the one Vernon was on it's last legs, guess it is closed now.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  7. #7

    Default

    My boyfriend and I just recently visited New York. Stayed at Row NYC. Very comfortable and there is parking.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StevensXEH View Post
    My boyfriend and I just recently visited New York. Stayed at Row NYC. Very comfortable and there is parking.
    Besides I want to say that we were rarely there. We wanted to visit a lot. Why stay at home when there are many fun ideas in NYC. We like to spend time actively, therefore on the first day of the trip we rented bikes in Central Park. We saw beautiful views, it was fun. But it was even more fun in Madison Square Garden, where we went late at night. New York is cool day and night.

  9. #9
    Registered User gbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-21-2014
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Age
    62
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Check out Stoney Point Center listed under Ft Montgomery NY (Shuttle to and from Exit of Trail Side Zoo before Bear Bridge. Good place to stay and leave the car. Away from trail so many forget it is there, but Rick is awesome and willing to help anyway possible. Worth a call.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

    I am Third

    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •