WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for hiking/camping partner for the 155 mile Vermont section

Hi, my name is Greg; I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for a tent hiking/camping partner to hike the southbound AT section trail from Dartmouth College Hanover, NH down to MA2 North Adams, MA; this section is approximately 155 miles & hikes through the State of Vermont - I'd like to complete this section hike in 10 days. I live in Vermont, I am an experienced hiker/backpacker, easy going, safe, in decent shape, have a pleasant personality, sense of humor, I like to plan things out, & be prepared. I've hiked up to Mt. Whitney, several times in the Adirondacks, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, & Central Asia. I'd like to do this either this year in early October or next year in the spring. Please message me back if you're interested so we can meet & begin making plans.

10 days / 155 miles through there is probably a bit ambitious for early October as it's getting dark in the woods by 5PM. Eliminate the dog leg from the Maine junction to Hanover and you have a better chance. The earlier in October the better, like the first week. Just go for it. There will likely still be a fair number of hikers on that section. You won't be lonely, just for it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Doesn’t Something called “Mud Season” delay trails opening in Vermont? Making Spring closer to summer in Vermont? That might throw your schedule off.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Doesn’t Something called “Mud Season” delay trails opening in Vermont? Making Spring closer to summer in Vermont? That might throw your schedule off.
    Wayne
    That only applies to state land, which is north of the AT segment, but it's a good idea to avoid mud season for the whole state - and most of New England for that matter. Mud season seems to be coming earlier every year, used to be May, now it's April.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We didn't have much of a "mud season" this year; I'm not worried about that stuff, it's over rated.

I might plan to join you if you can wait till next year. I'd love to do it early Oct but have other plans this year. I'd need to figure out how to get to trail to start, and then I'd want to extend hike 47mi sobo down to where I ended my last section at Goose Pond Rd near Lee, MA. I used public buses last time to get to Albany, NY very cheaply from Lee. Flew home from Albany.

Thank you for the reply. You're welcome to e-mail directly if you like to discuss in more detail; let me know. I might be able to assist with transportation, depending. I've used Greyhound bus to do some inexpensive traveling around the country, Utah to Vermont for only $115/3 days.

Hey Now! I am definitely interesting in finding out more about your plans but I am not sure our daily millage lines up. I am in the planning stages of my VT, NH & ME section but was planning on heading North.

Lets Chat and see what we come up with.

I am in Portsmouth NH

++ New Posts ++