WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Novice backpackers tend to cause more issues than more experienced ones. They're often under (or over) prepared, don't know how to store food or dispose of waste properly, etc. They need some level of oversight to make sure things don't get out of hand.

that is true to a certain degree-------but ive seen the same problems with people who have hiked and backpacked in the Park all their life.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    that should have been (and i was not down in this area at the time, just heard it from one of the now retired Park PIOs)-----that they would have a place where rangers had to check one's gear out and make sure it was adequate for the backcountry and what not...

the ranger told me the nickname of the building it was at was the "sugar shack"-----as it was next to sugarlands visitors center...

so, guessing they had a more hands on approach and would know who was out in the backcountry..

and im guessing the crowds back then were not like they are today...
    I think the equipment inspection was only during the winter (December-March?). The required items included a sleeping bag rated to -20 and a six inch knife. Not sure what else but those stick in my mind.

The first and second backpacking trips I ever took were in the Smokys, and on the second, a ranger on a horse asked to see my permit. I had it attached to my pack, and as he dismounted, I turned so he could see it. I ended up very close, and eye to eye with a grey horse. I had NO IDEA they were that big (the horse, not the ranger). In the last 25 years, I don’t remember being asked about a permit. At Pictured Rocks, I remember a time where one ranger came striding into camp while a minute or two later, another ranger came out of some bushes. We had a discussion and he said we might have been doing something illegal. I pointed out that one of us might have been peeing behind a tree, too. I believe the discussion ended as a draw. Recently I’ve done hiking in Yellowstone. I don’t remember any rangers asking to see a permit, but I’ve seen a good number of rangers IN the backcountry. I recently did a six day trip in the Bechler, and during those six days, saw 5 rangers. None asked about permits, but one looked pretty young, and was carrying a shovel, and wearing not one, but two firearms. He announced himself from outside of camp, so as to not startle us. (Pictured Rocks, are you listening?) He was there to “clean out the fire pit.” We told him fires weren’t allowed at that campsite, so there was no fire pit (Bless his heart.). He looked a little befuddled, but recovered. He then said he was going to go check the pit toilet, and off he strode with his shovel over his shoulder... .

Wow, I wrote lots more than usual. Sorry. I guess I got on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    The required items included a sleeping bag rated to -20 and a six inch knife.
    Please elaborate. Because I'm suddenly feeling a bit unprepared for some dire catastrophe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Please elaborate. Because I'm suddenly feeling a bit unprepared for some dire catastrophe.
    Old school thinking. Mid 70's era.

Information was on old park service trail maps and from the old blue Sierra Club trail guide.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++