Thread: Sleeping bag?

Default Sleeping bag?

I will be heading to Tray Mountain going SOBO to Springer on the 16th of Sept. I packed my pack lastnight and my mummy style sleeping bag takes up alot of room even in Its compression bag. So I was thinking about just taking a flannel twin sheet. I sleep hot and is 60* in the georgia area going to be to cold for a sheet?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was camping in the GSMNP area this weekend, and according to my thermometer, bed time temperatures were right at 70º. Just laying in the tent (no sleeping bag), I was too warm (I think because of zero air flow).

I don't know that I would go with just a sheet, but in warm conditions like this, I have used one of those fleece blanket throws you can pickup at WalMart for $5-10. The only reason I don't still use a fleece throw in warm weather like this is because they weight as much as my lightest sleeping bag.

The long range forecast for this general area (north Ga/ western NC) over the next two weeks looks like summertime temps. However, you are starting in mid September. I would do two things: check the long range forecast for the area right before you leave and adjust accordingly. If it looks like unseasonably warm weather, take something like a poncho liner and a warm lightweight jacket and hat, just in case. Since you are a warm sleeper, the poncho liner plus should be enough IMHO.

Journal Entries

I sleep cold, but even I have used a little fleece blanket a couple of times. My husband sleeps warm. He brought a sheet one time thinking he'd be too hot and was cold all night. So be sure to check the forecast.

Journal Entries

I have used an wool army blanket during the summer time.
    Blackheart

Thanks for the info. I went to a outfitter store and I did find a warm weather sleeping bag, only 1.6 lbs. I will be watching the weather!

I prefer the rectangular bags for sleeping because they give an experience like home. I am planning to buy Nemo Jazz because it is very comfortable but it is expensive as compared to other sleeping bags that's why saving money for it.

++ New Posts ++