WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking Saddleback in Maine

Going to be hiking up in Maine next week including around Saddleback Mountain. I need to use the Logging road access above Barnjum (Perham Stream) to reach the AT for two sections (NOBO and SOBO from that point). Is anyone familiar with that trail head? Anyone been up there recently and know the condition of the road up there? I know this is a VERY remote access. Any info is welcome.

The general rule of thumb is that if a logging road is not being actively used, it is not being maintained. Many of these roads suffered major damage last fall and winter. You need a vehicle which can handle really rough roads to even attempt using them.

If a logging road is actively being used, be careful. Log trucks have the right way and the road is narrow. They can't (or won't) slow down or stop, so they will run you off the road into the woods.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Tonto View Post
    I need to use the Logging road access above Barnjum (Perham Stream) to reach the AT for two sections (NOBO and SOBO from that point). Is anyone familiar with that trail head? Anyone been up there recently and know the condition of the road up there? I know this is a VERY remote access. Any info is welcome.
    I hiked through there a couple of weeks ago, and I actually remember the "roads" in that area. One was overgrown and didn't appear to have had a vehicle on it in at least a few years. The other, if I recall correctly, appeared to be a very rough 4x4 road.

According to the AWOL guide there's a logging road not accessible by car that's near Perham Stream. The guide also states that Barnjam Rd just a touch South of there is private. I don't have the ME AT map with me, but I remember these roads were on the map too.

A local will have to chime in, but from what I saw walking through there and looking at it on Google maps I don't think you can get in there easily if at all by vehicle.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Tonto View Post
    Going to be hiking up in Maine next week including around Saddleback Mountain. I need to use the Logging road access above Barnjum (Perham Stream) to reach the AT for two sections (NOBO and SOBO from that point). Is anyone familiar with that trail head? Anyone been up there recently and know the condition of the road up there? I know this is a VERY remote access. Any info is welcome.
    There is a dirt road one mile north/west of Sugarloaf Mountain Ski area. Caribou Valley Road I think it is called. Drive up that road 3.9 miles to a parking area. The road from that point on is blocked by a gate. Walk about half a mile to the AT. Go left and you head south, up over Sugarloaf Mountain. The AT does not summit Sugarloaf but there is a .6 mile blue blazed trail to the top. The junction is well marked. The dirt road is passable by car with one slightly sketchy area. I was just there last week.
    Go right off Caribou Valley Road and you can summit Saddleback Mountain. It’s about 18 miles. South and North Crocker Mountain are about two and three miles.
    As for Saddleback....you can drive to the Ski Lodge area and hike up one of the old slopes/trails. At the top you will intersect with the AT. Go north about 1.6 miles and you can also summit The Horn. The trail up the ski slope is about two miles.
    Hope some of this helps.

Yeah, you have to commit to hiking from ME 17 to ME 4, which means adding Spaulding Mountain and Crocker mountain to the trip, which doubles the difficulty. Nice section, but very cardio intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
    There is a dirt road one mile north/west of Sugarloaf Mountain Ski area. Caribou Valley Road I think it is called.
    That road is washed out and you can't get more then a mile up it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    That road is washed out and you can't get more then a mile up it.
    It must have just washed out. I took my little Ford C-Max up there last Friday.
    It has hardly rained around here since then. I’m in Bingham.

It must have just washed out. I took my little Ford C-Max up there last Friday.
    It has hardly rained around here since then. I’m in Bingham.
    That was a report from last year, they must have fixed the road up a bit. Bet you still had to drive slow and careful though.

That was a report from last year, they must have fixed the road up a bit. Bet you still had to drive slow and careful though.

In places, yes. The sketchy part was about 3, maybe 3.25 miles in. Before that I had to slow down to a walk over a couple culverts trying to pop up. It does look like it has been worked n a bit. In the parking area there were about 15 vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    I’ve thought about doing Flyrod Crosby trail from Phillips to the Berry Pickers trail to Summit Saddleback. Be a nice hike.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I’ve thought about doing Flyrod Crosby trail from Phillips to the Berry Pickers trail to Summit Saddleback. Be a nice hike.
    sounds like it would be, the berry pickers trail is on the list just has not reached the top yet...

Never knew of it. Thanks for posting.

Wow, they really stripped the woods bare along that access road! From the comments, it sounds like there are some sketchy coverts to get over. That's the trouble with these logging roads, their rough and conditions can change after one good storm. Sounds like a nice way to hike up there, if you can make it to the parking lot!

Images

This may be slight thread drift, and if so I apologize. I was looking at the satellite images on Google maps for the area between Oberton Stream and Lone Mountain, and I noticed some weird patterns near the dirt roads. I'm assuming this is from logging, can anyone confirm?

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Yeah, you have to commit to hiking from ME 17 to ME 4, which means adding Spaulding Mountain and Crocker mountain to the trip, which doubles the difficulty. Nice section, but very cardio intensive.
    I think that you mean from ME 27 to ME 4.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I think that you mean from ME 27 to ME 4.
    Or ME 4 to 27 if going Nobo

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    This may be slight thread drift, and if so I apologize. I was looking at the satellite images on Google maps for the area between Oberton Stream and Lone Mountain, and I noticed some weird patterns near the dirt roads. I'm assuming this is from logging, can anyone confirm?
    without knowing exactly the particular pattern you are referring too, all i see in that area is the result of logging

In places, yes. The sketchy part was about 3, maybe 3.25 miles in. Before that I had to slow down to a walk over a couple culverts trying to pop up. It does look like it has been worked n a bit. In the parking area there were about 15 vehicles.
    I got a shuttle from there in June. You still have about a mile further to walk to get to the AT after the gate where people were parked at that time.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

without knowing exactly the particular pattern you are referring too, all i see in that area is the result of logging
    You answered my question.

The patterns I was referring to are what look like small dirt roads fanning out that are all parallel to each other. I don't look at the google maps satellite images that often, so just haven't seen that before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++