WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Triple Crown near Roanoke VA

I want to do the Triple Crown towards the end of the month. I have heard the loop is dry on the back side for a day. Any recommendations on put on and take off to just stay on the Appalachian trail for about 37 miles. We will be in a group of 6 people ... we want to do a few miles Thurs when we put on, then full days Friday and Saturday, then a few miles Sunday to take off. 4 of us have multiple section hikes in GA and VA and 2 are brand new to backpacking... so comments on the loop, or on and off or any suggestions as to a route are appreciated.

I would go to 4 pines hostel (Va 624)and do Dragons Tooth first (5miles roundtrip). Friday Get dropped off in Daleville (Or Scorched Earth Gap if the distance seems too long), then hike back to 4 Pines stopping overnight at Campbell Shelter.

There is no camping allowed except for at designated sites from VA 624 to US 220. That section also tends to be dry. The owner at 4 Pines Hostel on VA 624 (the road crossing NOBO from Dragons Tooth) is known to shuttle people. He could possible drop you off at a road crossing and you could hike back to the hostel. Then you could do more of a linear hike rather than a loop. The trail here crosses a series of ridges and there is a road crossing and a stream between each ridge. There is also a road (no water) at VA311/Catawba which is more of a pass on the ridge that has Tinker Cliffs and McAfee Knob. Dragons Tooth is the next ridge SOBO from there. Next one south has the Audie Murphy Monument. That is an easy flat walk once you make the summit. The next one is Sinking Creek. It has some rock outcroppings on the summit which were fun to negotiate. It was one of my favorite sections, but maybe too far south giving your time frame.

thank you.

shuttle based out of daleville if you need it. great people, inexpensive
    Homer and Therese Witcher. Will shuttle anywhere, when available. Live 2 miles from intersection of I-81 and US 220. [email protected] 540-266-4849

6 people is a pretty big group to work out of a hostel like 4 pines. Loops aren't real practical on a linear trail which follows a ridge line.

The most practical way to do this is start at the HoJo's in Daleville and hike to VA624, a distance of 25.7 miles. Unfortunately, this stops just short of the Dragons tooth, so you'd have to do an extra 5 miles (2.5 in and back) to tag the tooth.

So,
    Day 1 Lamberts meadow. 9.5 miles - It's a bit of a climb getting out of the valley, but then it eases up a lot. I did it on a hot and humid day earlier this summer, so I probably thought it was harder then it really is.

Day 2 Catawba shelter 8.4 miles. The climbs up to Tinker cliffs and McAfee knob makes this a respectable day.

Day 3 VA624 plus tag Dragons tooth - 12.5 miles total. Have four pines or someone shuttle you back the car in Daleville. The climb up and down from VA624 can take awhile.

I doubt you'd get there early enough to get to a shelter on Thursday. As noted above, you can only camp that the designated shelter sites in this area. The Catawba Mountain shelter is close enough to a road it could be reached by headlight if need be, but it's in the middle of the section you want to do. If you bring two cars, you can avoid the shuttle by parking at both ends. Since most cars only seat 5, I would think having 2 cars would make the trip more comfortable, but double the cost in gas. But cost in gas is likely about what you'd pay for a shuttle.

Day 3 might be a bit of a stretch, but if some in the group are beat when you get to 624, they don't need to go any farther. If the weather is nice, it can get very, very busy in that area on the weekend.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Unfortunately, this stops just short of the Dragons tooth, so you'd have to do an extra 5 miles (2.5 in and back) to tag the tooth.
    would it be shorter to use one of the non AT trails to get back from the tooth after tagging it? i dont know distances, but it seemed to me like few, if any, day hikers to the tooth start from 624. which might be a reflection of parking or it might be because its shorter and/or easier to approach from one of the other trails.

There is limited, if any, parking at 624 now that you mention it. I know I stashed my pack in the woods a 100 feet north of 624 and went to the Catawba Grocery for lunch and buy snacks, so I must have sensed that location had little traffic.

Day hikers come in via the Scout trail, the junction to the AT being only 4/10ths of a mile from 624, so effectively its the same distance. That's were you'd have to park a car.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you all very much for the good ideas...

how is the water on this section... on a daily basis

Lambert's Meadow (about 10 miles from 220 to the North and 311 to the South) is generally reliable. It's a little more hit or miss elsewhere. The Roanoke AT club's Facebook page usually posts water condition info every few days.

++ New Posts ++