WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pack Capacity

Images

If you need a pack that big, you really need to take a hard look at your gear. A 50L pack should carry everything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    And honestly I can fit 7 days of food plus my gear into 50l so if I was to HAVE to carry a little extra for someone else I wouldn't need more than a 60l pack...so I'd add on 10l space for him over what gear you would normally carry.
    That's a good way to consider it, a general estimate of the extra carried. If the OP were to need say 60l of personal space, 25% more space would be 15l. Suppose for the sake of argument that 60l weighs 36 pounds, a rough guess. Then the OP could pull about 9 pounds from the kid, and potentially more because I'm thinking a full 60l includes about a week's worth of food and trips with the son won't be that long.

We don't know all your gear but with a 75l you'd likely be just fine with assisting your son. If you overload that there's plenty of people here who can talk your weight down, just post a full gear list. On the flip side, when I've had a full pack while using a tent, I would put the tent under the top lid horizontally. Your tent is 6x24 inches which is 678 cubic inches~11l. I don't like to hang the tent off the bottom, it pulls down and back too much and on top of the top lid it tends to flop too much if the brain isn't full.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Consider the Osprey Volt 75.
    It's one of their "no frills" pack. Doesn't have as many bells and whistles as other Osprey packs (and only comes in one size). As such, it's one of their cheaper packs, and only weights a hint over 4lbs.
    I purchased the Osprey Volt 75 for a JMT thru hike... needed something I could carry a 20lbs bear canister (Bearikade Expedition loaded with 10 days of supplies).
    The few negative reviews the pack seems to get has to do with fit (after all, this is a one-size-fits-most). I found it to be comfortable, and had it loaded with as much as 55lbs during my JMT hike.
    I have one of these, but have not put a lot of weight in it. Larger than I would have bought (was looking for about 65 liters), but had to replace a pack mid-trip and it fit me well.

I've tended to be cold since turning 50, making my gear bulky, but not too heavy. Interesting to hear it managed 55 pounds well, as I assumed 40 pounds would be the limit with the fairly thin straps and belt.

Journal Entries

I also would recommend ULA's Catalyst. It is 10L smaller but 2 pounds lighter. I used one on the PCT(x2) and CDT and had plenty of room when I had to do a long stretch between resupplying. When I needed my crampons and snowshoes, I had no problem attaching them to my pack when not in use. But as someone mentioned earlier, I'm not carrying your pack or equipment. I'm not sure if scouting changed their rules concerning hammocks, but I would use one if they allowed them. YMMV
    Blackheart

If you want cool bear container you need look long and hard at the ULA Catalyst. It will hold more than you want to carry. It collapses down to hold whatever load you need to carry. Very well made. Very good load transfer to the hips. Relatively inexpensive. Made in the USA.
    Hint: One outside pocket holds an MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX 2 person tent. The other side pocket holds a full Nalgene 3 quart soft canteen and an MSR Waterworks filter. Both pockets weren’t full. A bear can fits in the top horizontally.
    Or consider the Osprey Volt 75 like this https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-bear-container/
    It's one of their "no frills" pack. Doesn't have as many bells and whistles as other Osprey packs (and only comes in one size). As such, it's one of their cheaper packs, and only weights a hint over 4lbs.
    I purchased the Osprey Volt 75 for a JMT thru hike... needed something I could carry a 20lbs bear canister (Bearikade Expedition loaded with 10 days of supplies).
    The few negative reviews the pack seems to get has to do with fit (after all, this is a one-size-fits-most). I found it to be comfortable, and had it loaded with as much as 55lbs during my JMT hike.
    Compare that to the Osprey Aether AG 70 or Osprey Xenith 75 that can weight 5 to 5-1/2 pounds for the same volume.
    You can find useful information in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gERC5iigcI8
    Hope, I help.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    If you need a pack that big, you really need to take a hard look at your gear. A 50L pack should carry everything you need.
    And yet, OP needs more. Perhaps read his post, where he's also carrying his son's gear.

The ability to go light and/or compact is a function of many factors, not all of which may be under one's control:

- the hiker's size. Bigger hikers may require long versions of bags and sleeping pads, and they may need to avoid some compact tents that would have their feet/head touching the ends. Their clothes are bulkier and heavier, and their food and water needs greater. It's easier to go lighter more compact if you're 5'2" or 5'7". Not everyone is under 6', and I think a lot of posters forget that when offering advice.
    - the hiker's budget. UL/UC (ultra-compact) gear is usually more expensive ... and delicate.
    - the hiker's tolerance for discomfort (e.g., cold). A hiker who is more easily chilled at night will want a warmer sleep setup than one who is more able to handle lower temps. A warmer sleep setup generally costs weight, bulk, and/or money. And throwing money at the problem does not always produce the intended result for the hiker, for example, a rotisserie sleeper using a drafty top quilt with an optimistic temperature rating - they may not sleep well, causing other problems.
    - the hiker's need to carry gear for others, as noted by the OP.

As a bigger guy who is easily cold at night, I find getting bulk down is a bigger challenge than the weight carried. Some items can be safely carried outside a pack (e.g., CCF, tent poles - if not the tent too), and while it's not ideal (ideal = everything inside pack), one need not be a "Christmas Tree" hiker with all sorts of items dangling loosely off the pack. Alpine packs are really good for strapping items snugly to the outside, and they're a pretty weight-efficient for the interior volume. They're just not great for easy access/organizing - you might just get one big compartment plus a pocketed lid.

Some people carry some sort of front pack (reversed fanny pack, of sort) to make up for a the space and organizational limitations of a smaller, simpler backpack. You can also save space by carrying water bottles on shoulder straps (say, with some cordage or Aquaclip) rather than using a water bladder inside the pack, which IME invariably steals interior room.

None of this should blind one to economizing on space where possible. OP mentioned a pillow, IIRC. If you can get by with an inflatable one or a clothes bag instead, that will save space. A travel pillow is nice but steals space all too easily. Dual-purpose items like a poncho for raingear and pack cover may help. Sharing a tent and cook kit are big space and weight savers. Minimizing spare clothes, esp. if you're a bigger person. You'll have to rinse out your stuff more, but that's the tradeoff. If you CAN sleep on a short mat, or in a tent that is nominally under 90 inches long (stake to stake), more power to you, that will help a great deal. If you can afford UL fabrics and take care of them, awesome.

But I don't think the OP needs to go to UL gear to save some weight & space on the tent. 1 adult + 1 kid could fit in a 30sf tent ... could save a pound and get 19 sf more vestibule space with REI's passage 2 tent, on sale now $99. Is surprisingly bulkier. If budget allows, space could be saved (and weight) with a trekking pole supported tent. For about $120 (current sale), SMD Lunar Duo outfitter would save over 2 lbs and almost 4L space, yet has 34sf inside and 24sf more in vestibule. These fabrics may be lighter than the Eureka, but I wouldn't classify them as particularly delicate.

Sleeping bags take up a lot of room too, but that's a complex issue, down vs. synthetic, temp ranges, possibility of quilts, wearing insulating layers to bed, etc. But there are big opportunities to economize on space there, if comfort level allows.

Good luck to OP.

Go ula catalyst. My first pack was a northface prophet 55 I think. In a large it has 65 liters I think. Sorry for the guessing. More then I thought I needed and it was stuffed. But hey it says it will “hold” 50lbs. Well what happened was it didn’t carry well over 25. Catalyst can be sinched down or used wide open. I wouldn’t recommend it but my first time winter camping I had 44lbs in my catalyst and it felt better then the 30 in the north face bag. Great brand great customer service and simple. Plus if your gear doesn’t fill it up and it’s unused I’m sure they’d credit you for another pack. Minus shipping back to them and the new one to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Circuit,even though I really wanted the Catalyst,because I am trying to force myself to carry less and not pack my fears etc.The Circuit still carries everything I want out there.Catalyst weighs only a half pound more and will hold the BV500 bear vault horizontally.The other ULA packs hold it vertically.I suspect the Catalyst would be the ideal pack for you.Once you experience that big stretch pocket on the ULA packs you will be hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1or1000 View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking at the North Face Prophet 85L however its a heavy pack really big and I'm having a hard time deciding if I need this much pack. I'm going to be starting at the southern terminus end of April and will be section hiking. I expect the longest trip I would get in would be seven days on the trail. While I know many resupply locations exist I want something that will carry me though the 100 mile wildness and places where I have to pack it! I am also taking a position as assistant scout leader with our local troop and I know I'll be in most cases packing extra in my pack as my son is 85 lbs. soaking wet. I need something that will carry his extra weight as needed within reason. I'm not sure I'll ever need 85 liters though. I'm wondering if 75l is a more reasonable set up for what I'm planning to do over the years. I will carry a trail pillow and a two person Erika Timberline along with the must have essentials. All thoughts are welcome!

Thanks
    Sounds like a good pack for going out with the boy scouts, but probably a bit much for long distance hiking. I'd say go for it if it seems comfortable...you'll have opportunities to reevaluate your gear later on if doing section hikes.

I took an Osprey Aether 85L on a thru hike of the Long Trail this summer since I had to carry extra gear. The thing to remember about many of these big packs is that they are designed to carry extra weight/volume. Smaller packs that are overloaded can be excruciating to carry. Of course, weight is weight when you are talking about feet, knees, and lungs ... but if you have to carry an extra load and are physically capable of doing so, a large pack is the way to go in my opinion.

My philosophy is that a Thru Hike is simply made up of a bunch of section hikes. You feel the same with your comment about the 100 Mile Wilderness. The only difference from one section to the next is the amount of food carried. I over carried for the Smokies (7 days that only took 5 and an unexpected night in G-Burg) and the HMW (7 days that took 5 plus one breakfast). All gear, besides Food and water, should remain constant. That base weight and volume is a key for pack selection. Mine at its heaviest (usually in winter) was at 21 lbs base weight. Then simply add 2lbs per day food and 2lbs per liter of water and you have your pack weight. Leaving Amicalola with Four days of food, two liters water, and one Gatorade Bottle, I was at 32lbs. Which I found out was a little low when Hiker hunger kicked in later. However, volume was never an issue. The Trek just put out the average pack weights for 2018 Thru hikers and named The Circuit as the number one choice in the lighter weight category. (If wondering, the Osprey’s were the most common; but probably due to big box store marketing).

Sorry for for the long post, but as many have said, you can’t go wrong with the ULA Circuit or Catalyst.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++