WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hanging near Grassy Ridge Bald ??

Anybody know of good hammock hanging at the Grassy Ridge Bald campsite, about 2m in from Carvers Gap? Or best nearby? Coming in late and I don't think we can make it as far as Overmountain shelter before dark.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

there's not alot of trees in that general area......(at least that i recall)..

there's a patch right when one starts out not far from carvers then the other ones would be furthur down near stan murray shelter...

and actually the wood line starts before one gets to stan murray....

Images

Saw a listing for a campsite with water at the side trail to Grassy Ridge and was hoping there would be some trees at that location, given the water source. I've been as far as Jane Bald and I do recall a few patches of trees along the way that might suffice - would be close enough to haul enough water for an overnight. There's also the enchanted forest of balsams closer to Carvers Gap which might work. Would love to hear if anybody has some experience or seen others hanging in these areas.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

along that side trail where the campsite is at is just kinda an open field area.................

i dont recall there being trees (but i could be wrong).........

i seemingly recall a bunch of bushes in that area...

Yea, once you leave the gap there isn't much for trees. Down the other side of Jane's bald are little scrub trees - more like bushes then trees. The good news is once you get to the top of Jane's Bald, it's real easy to get to the Stan Murray shelter, I think there are trees there. The shelter it's self was not very inviting.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

nce you get to the top of Jane's Bald, it's real easy to get to the Stan Murray shelter, I think there are trees there.

yeah.......mainly downhill from janes and then enters the tree line on the downhill.....

Images

Isn't the grassy ridge camp and side trail in between Janes and Stan Murray? What I'm thinking is Janes is the rocky outcrop after you pass the first bald and go down and around then up through a "hallway" of scrub to the outcropping.
    - Kate Chopin

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

All of the vegetation ontop and around Grassy Ridge (Carver Gap side) are grasses, brairs, rodo, laurels, and small bushy trees.

When you reach the far side and start heading down to Stan Murray/Overmountain, you get to bigger trees but on a very narrow ridgeline.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Thx guys! Helps a bunch
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Just an FYI in case anybody comes across this...

I only went out to Grassy Ridge Bald and back for a day trip. Did a little exploring for potential hanging and there is some up on the bald, but only one really good one. There was a group of tents in a flat grassy area and in the group of trees there was a real good, relatively spacious hang. All other potential hangs were either very short in terms of tree distance, or down in the scrub or both. Some interesting sites off little side trails down into the scrubby trees, but few that I felt like they were a place where I'd like to spend some time. The one site by where the tents were was a great one, though I'd imagine you won't ever have the site to yourself on weekends.

Other than that, didn't see water at what I presumed to be the Grassy Ridge campsite at the AT and at the junction of the trail going up to Grassy Ridge. Lots of sites where folks have camped, so hard to say if I was I was actually at that site where the data book says there is water.
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++