WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks all,

Tipi,

I used the Gossamer Gear Mariposa (60L), and Jerry used a MLD Burn (38L)!! Weight was a big issue with all that climbing so we cut as close as we could.

TarpTent was fine but never tested. We camped in some really exposed places but just got really lucky with the weather. The peaks and passes were windy but most nights were strangely calm.

The regulations required either hanging food or using canisters. I had cordage for hanging.

The spikes helped immensely, we found using the ice and snowfields was much easier than stepping on loose rock; it was a lot easier on the feet. Even so,we hit the Gannett Glacier late in the day and the sun had softened it to the point that spikes were less effective. I slid about 30 feet down a slope unintentionally once but that was about it, no harm done. Was better to hit that stuff when it was still crusty if we could.

Let me get this straight ... he's 6 foot 4, went on a 10 day trip with no resupply, and carried just a 38L pack? That's a gear list I'd like to see. Not bad, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Let me get this straight ... he's 6 foot 4, went on a 10 day trip with no resupply, and carried just a 38L pack? That's a gear list I'd like to see. Not bad, indeed.
    Hahahaha!....secret is big pockets!

Quote Originally Posted by notbad View Post
    Hahahaha!....secret is big pockets!
    You know what they say about big hands ... big pockets!

So the real question is, did you have more or less than 22L of gear stuffed in those big pockets or strapped to the outside of your 38L pack?

Seriously, though, kudos to both of you.

Shout out to Mountain Laurel Designs and their collaboration with Mary Poppins on the design of the burn! I was able to hang my jacket on my stand from home outside my tent every night! It’s those small touches that keep morale optimal!

The fascinating thing about these kind of trips is the level of commitment to your gear and your time table. Most “backpacking” trips if you need to bail, the road or a well traveled trail is not far away. Even in Colorado’s larger wilderness areas if you follow a drainage long enough, you’ll hit a road. Not so in the wild, Wild West. Better have your sheet together on gear, pack weight, daily mileage and conditioning. Especially at elevations above 10K.

Patman, glad you were able to arrest your slide on the snow field. We have morons every year that get busted up or worse slide over a cliff while glissading down a slope.

You can see the pack in one of the trip report pics... I didn’t have an unusual amount of stuff strapped to the outside. Microspikes. Platypus 2 l only used at night.. marmot skull! .. sometimes the jacket. I did a 7 day food carry the week before no problem. Ten days food carry was pushing it a little. Plus I added quite a bit extra insulation right before we left. We had a bleak last minute forecast. Fortunately weather turned out great! Believe it or not I’m not really a list guy. If you are serious I could throw something together. I had an extra 3 liters of space in a fanny pack too! Headlamp .. maps.. snacks type stuff. Thanks for checking it out! It was a special trip!

It’s good to see Tipi here! My favorite character on whiteblaze! By far the best trip reports here! I need to get a saw!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    The fascinating thing about these kind of trips is the level of commitment to your gear and your time table. Most “backpacking” trips if you need to bail, the road or a well traveled trail is not far away. Even in Colorado’s larger wilderness areas if you follow a drainage long enough, you’ll hit a road. Not so in the wild, Wild West. Better have your sheet together on gear, pack weight, daily mileage and conditioning. Especially at elevations above 10K.

Patman, glad you were able to arrest your slide on the snow field. We have morons every year that get busted up or worse slide over a cliff while glissading down a slope.
    Thanks Hosh, yeah you get it. It's not obvious if you've never researched this area/route but this trip had some stress about it for all the reasons you mention.

I just read the Shoshone and Bridger-Teton National Forest food storage rules. The Ursack qualifies.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Thanks Hosh, yeah you get it. It's not obvious if you've never researched this area/route but this trip had some stress about it for all the reasons you mention.
    The Colorado Plateau also is very challenging for cross country backpacking. While the elevation is modest, approx 7K, the topography is extremely challenging and often difficult to read. Make a descent in the wrong area and you might not get back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I just read the Shoshone and Bridger-Teton National Forest food storage rules. The Ursack qualifies.
    Wayne
    Wayne..... remember.... 38 liter pack... I didn’t bring any food!

agreed, spam is not food.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    agreed, spam is not food.
    Whoa..... hahahaha! Look who showed up at party!! Put your spam packets away kids we’re having chunks of salmon now!!

Whoa..... hahahaha! Look who showed up at party!! Put your spam packets away kids we’re having chunks of salmon now!!
    I’ll rest assured that the cuisine next summer at gates of the artic will be of much finer fare!

You da Man!
    I read in another forum that the two bike touring couples hadn’t finished your bag of candy!
    All the best to you!
    Wayne

I’ll rest assured that the cuisine next summer at gates of the artic will be of much finer fare!
    My new favorite backpacking meal:
    Backpackers Pantry Chicken Picatta with Capers. Awesome!
    Spam? Salmon? Tuna too? Sick.
    👍😄
    Wayne

Images

This has been so amazingly cool to follow, and inspirational as well. I keep wondering if this route is still feasible to squeeze in yet this year, given our amazing September weather this year...

So, again, thanks for sharing!

Finally, since this went so well, consider the Sierra High Route in your near future.... a quite similar, though about twice as long adventure awaits you. Quite simply our favorite all-time hike, not sure anything has come close, though when we do try this WRHR, I'm sure it will be right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    My new favorite backpacking meal:
    Backpackers Pantry Chicken Picatta with Capers. Awesome!
    Spam? Salmon? Tuna too? Sick.
    
    Wayne
    Thanks Wayne!.... I’ll check it out...as Doug pointed out I could definitely use a little spicing up in my back country kitchen!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    This has been so amazingly cool to follow, and inspirational as well. I keep wondering if this route is still feasible to squeeze in yet this year, given our amazing September weather this year...

So, again, thanks for sharing!

Finally, since this went so well, consider the Sierra High Route in your near future.... a quite similar, though about twice as long adventure awaits you. Quite simply our favorite all-time hike, not sure anything has come close, though when we do try this WRHR, I'm sure it will be right up there.
    Thank you Rob! SHR is definitely on the list.( don’t tell my wife I have a list) Man... I’d love to be the one to say go for it. I’d even love to come back for another tour! Two points I’ll make. There are definitely a couple spots on the route I wouldn’t want to be stuck in a 3 day Bufffalo NY style snowstorm! If you do have the patience to wait until around Labor Day next year I’ll as much as promise perfect weather in that window. I spent 23 days there during that time frame in last two years. I had three rain showers. The longest one being two hours! Seems to be the window between the end of afternoon thunderstorms and early season snow...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++