WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that the AT used to go through Macedonia Brook SP.
    The blue trail absorbed it, but if you wanted, there is a blazed trail with old campsites along the way, not a part of the park camping sites. For those who want to avoid civilation. Google Chippewalla Rd, and zoom into the top of the ridgeline.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    Honestly its such a easy walk into town I don't see many hikers wanting to stay in a backyrd
    Yeah, "backyard" camping would be such a demerit to some. But, since the trail runs perpendicular to my land, it's just something that someone in need would have to lower themselves to <sarcasm

By all means, check with your attorney and insurance agent. In addition, Connecticut's Recreational Use statute specifically mentions camping and hiking, and should provide liability protection as long as you don't charge a fee.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

When I stayed at the Rattle River Hostel this summer, I watched the informal "hostel grapevine" in action. Apparently a hiker who was pulling scams at hostels was on his way into the area. Eric, the owner at Rattle River Hostel, called around to the other hostels in his area and down the trail SOBO to warn everyone to watch for the hiker. If you go ahead with your plan, it may be worthwhile to get a list of the hostels in your area and either join their grapevine or get one started.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

A couple of years ago a shop owner allowed hikers to stay in the lot behind their store (and the church). It did not last long. Lots of problems.

Thank you for all the replies and information.
    The saying 'no good deed goes unpunished' seems a possible fate were I to do this.
    I think come springtime, I may try to do this as a word of mouth only option for those in need of respite. It's unfortunate that a few can ruin things for the whole, but that seems to be the reality.
    So, anyone passing through in spring 2019, if you are finding this post and truly need a hand, pm me. I will not be making public my giving back, as the potential for abuse is too high.
    Happy and safe hiking to all.

Quote Originally Posted by thruseeker View Post
    Thank you for all the replies and information.
    The saying 'no good deed goes unpunished' seems a possible fate were I to do this.
    I think come springtime, I may try to do this as a word of mouth only option for those in need of respite. It's unfortunate that a few can ruin things for the whole, but that seems to be the reality.
    So, anyone passing through in spring 2019, if you are finding this post and truly need a hand, pm me. I will not be making public my giving back, as the potential for abuse is too high.
    Happy and safe hiking to all.

Do you realize your idea of a low-key location is going to last about 10 minutes with social media?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I noticed in the original post that you indicated offering this to thru hikers. Several section hikers have responded. Can you clarify please whether this would be available to both thrus and sectioners?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Do you realize your idea of a low-key location is going to last about 10 minutes with social media?
    Which is why this is the last post I needed to make an informed decision along with the other research, and the last to which I'll respond in regards to this thread. Thanks to those who responded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++