WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Probably my fault for suggesting that size matters in an earlier post.

* Children are small (and were disproportionately represented on the list of victims)

* Men are big (and seemed to be under represented)

* Woman are somewhere in between (and were arguably overrepresented on the list of victims)
    Looking at the Wiki article linked earlier on this page (from 70's to present), it seems like the number of "men" victims is about equivalent to the number of "women" victims.
    There doesn't seem to be a significant statistical difference until you compare "children" to either "men" or "women".
    So with an equal number of men v women victims, it doesn't seem to make sense to claim men being under represented, or women being over represented; and therefore doesn't seem to make any sense to argue if cougars can make tell the difference between males v females.

(Not being argumentative... I just feel like I'm missing something since the list of victims doesn't seem to match what everyone is talking about).

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Looking at the Wiki article linked earlier on this page (from 70's to present), it seems like the number of "men" victims is about equivalent to the number of "women" victims.
    There doesn't seem to be a significant statistical difference until you compare "children" to either "men" or "women".
    So with an equal number of men v women victims, it doesn't seem to make sense to claim men being under represented, or women being over represented; and therefore doesn't seem to make any sense to argue if cougars can make tell the difference between males v females.

(Not being argumentative... I just feel like I'm missing something since the list of victims doesn't seem to match what everyone is talking about).
    Good point.

Of all those whose age was identified:

4 Male
    6 Female
    14 Children

Small sample, and it is possible that women spend more time in cougar country as well.

. . . and it is possible that women spend more time in cougar country as well.
    Yes, but women are less likely, not more likely to participate in outdoor activities than men (55% of women vs. 65% of men). Therefore, if we correct for the likely male vs. female exposure to cougars, the observed difference, in this admittedly small sample size, would suggest that there is even more difference between men and women that the data suggest.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Good point.

4 Male
    6 Female
    14 Children

Small sample, and it is possible that women spend more time in cougar country as well.
    Children are:

A. Least aware of surroundings and danger
    B. Slowest runners
    C. Tastiest
    D. All of the above

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Children are:

A. Least aware of surroundings and danger
    B. Slowest runners
    C. Tastiest
    D. All of the above
    You ain't right man hahahaha.

Good point.

4 Male
    6 Female
    14 Children

I don't know why cougars attack some people and not others. The sample size is probably too small to draw any conclusions. My own experience is limited, but it is probably relevant. I have encountered cougars a number of times. Most of the time, it is only to see them running away. I feel blessed to see more than a fleeting view.

Only one time have I been stalked. My wife and I were hiking in Roxbourough State Park near Denver. I noticed a slight movement in the rock formation above our heads. When I looked closer, I saw that it was the tail of a full grown cougar. It was on some rocks overlooking the trail where he could have pounced on us. When we stopped and "looked big" -- (raised our hiking polls above our heads to present the largest profile possible), it backed off. We continued our hike, but every few minutes we would spot the cougar looking at us. It was always farther up the mountain and higher than we were. After about 20 minutes, we decided that we had hiked enough and returned to our vehicle. I never really felt threatened, but it does make one uneasy to know a big cat is watching you.

Over the years there have been a number of cougar incidents in the same area. Here is a story of one of them -- https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ion-experience
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 09-18-2018 at 11:39.
    Shutterbug

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++