WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: The best

Default The best

What would you consider to be some of the best titles for someone wanting to prepare for the AT? I just purchased the ALDHA Companion and the AT Data Book, but I know there have to be others out there that people recommend. Just curious what those would be.

Thank you,

Joe

Images

You're at the best "title", that would be Whiteblaze! Surf, learn and enjoy! I also enjoyed reading some books of accounts of folks' thru hikes, like Skywalker's books (AT, PCT, etc). check those out.

Besides "titles" to better prepare, also consider getting the Guthook app when you start your hike, I'm amazed at the usefulness of this app. Then there's AWOL, probably the #1 used paper databook used along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    You're at the best "title", that would be Whiteblaze! Surf, learn and enjoy! I also enjoyed reading some books of accounts of folks' thru hikes, like Skywalker's books (AT, PCT, etc). check those out.

Besides "titles" to better prepare, also consider getting the Guthook app when you start your hike, I'm amazed at the usefulness of this app. Then there's AWOL, probably the #1 used paper databook used along the trail.
    Is that AWOL by David Miller?

Quote Originally Posted by JosephDurham View Post
    Yes. The 2019 edition should be out around the beginning of the year; although it is unlikely to be much changed from the 2018 edition. Mostly the changes will be services added and deleted along the trail.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JosephDurham View Post
    Yup, as Idsailor says. He also wrote a decent account of his hike titled "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail", or something like that. It was his trail name.

Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary. Daypack. 2 liters of water. Walk until the water is gone. Repeat daily.
    Wayne

PS:
    My copy of the Random House dictionary weighs 10 pounds. 2 liters of water @ 4.4 pounds and a daypack would be about 16 pounds. A good weight to start with. 2 hours. 6+ miles. Even a Geezer like me can manage that pace.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Thank you very much! I have been looking at that title but hadn’t purchase it yet.

"How to hike the AT" "The nitty-gritty details of a long distance trek" by Michelle Ray This an ebook which covers everything you need to know and then some.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have read quite a few books about hiking the AT and one I liked a lot was one I even wrote about on Whiteblaze was "The AT-How to Prepare for and Hike It by Jan Curran-https://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-T.../dp/1568250509

He is a retired Army Officer who decides to hike the AT in the course of two seasons. I know some don't like the book and some believe it to be dated, but it wasn't bad in my opinion and he gives some decent advise I felt. There are many good books about hiking the AT out there though. He also wrote a couple of others about his complete adventure.

Journal Entries

There's some fun books too, like A Walk in the Woods, or How to $h!t in the Woods.

Good information. Thank you!

Map Man's AT hiking statistics and Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles. Both of which are available on Whiteblaze.net. Go to home then I think Map Man's article in under preparations. Don't remember exactly where to find the re-supply articles. Both are really all you need to plan an AT hike. Throw in one of the guidebooks (any works) and you are set. The forums are of marginal usefulness. I agree that "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" is a good account of hiking the AT. You can read, or watch, any number of blogs/vlogs but why over-inundate yourself with information. Get the basics then experience the joy of exploration.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

This is newly released book with up to date information by a couple who thru hiked in 2017. It’s an easy read and answers 99% of most questions asked.

https://www.amazon.com/Thru-Hiking-A...n+beck+seymour

++ New Posts ++